Morrowind Morrowind Mods

Could be video driver or Direct X issue. Make sure everything updated. Try disable sound card acceleration in Direct X control panel, or put video card setting to lowest level and see what happen...

How old is your card?

I had that problem with the Voodoo 4 didn't like playing the Bink video.

My PC is from October/November last year, an massive upgrade.

I have, however, an on-board sound chip. I heard several times that this might cause problems with games - although I never had it. At least I had no proof.

I also have the assumption of something within my system not liking the Bink video ... However, I've downloaded the tools directly from RAD, and they were able to play the videos stand-alone just fine.

In another thread at the Ubisoft-Forum I read something about Fallout 3 not linking the fddshow in Vista ... But this Mini-thread was misplaced (originally in the Morrowind forum part), and then moved towards the Fallout 3 section ...

So, I fear that I should de-install my codecs and try out what happens then. But I have no clue where they lie on my HD ...

Sorry about practicing necro on this thread, but I'm curious. With all the mods basically done for Morrowind what are your favorites? Any huge mods out there that still aren't done yet?

This blog (Morrowind Expanded) was mentioned over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun and I can't remember if I'd seen it here. I'm not much into using mods myself but it maybe handy if you're looking to mod Morrowind.

Thanks Wogos and konjad. That blog is the best step by step guide I've seen. Especially using newer mods.

Ditto the thanks for those links. Starting this after I beat arcanum :)

Zakhary, you are so my kinda person! There's just nothing like the souind of the silt strider in good old untouched up MW. Most people hate me if I say Oblivion's Chocolate box prettiness is shallow as compared to Morrowind's charming grittiness. MW is just my best game ever, I love that unique almost wistful feel to it. ( I rather enjoyed Fable though, it was a nice tongue-in-cheek mix; the cheering crowds just became simply too much when I got cheered by admiring fans after having an hour or two of "fun" in the brothel. The little hero actually blushed there....)

Hmmm - I feel like I'm going a little mad here, because now I'm not sure if the above post was done by myself... Balmoran is the username I used on a few forums - it's still my username at gamespot/gamefaqs... ummm, and the abovementioned sentiments (except for the drivel about Fable - I hate Peter Molyneax's style, actually) could pretty much have been my own.. :blush:

Hrrmm, -if there is another Balmoran, please stand up or forever hold your peace...

Anyway- that post was obviously done a while ago, because lately I have indeed tried out a few mods. The best 'head' mod for me, was actually "Vvardenfell Visages". http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=5883

Be careful of texture mods. Some can make the place look worse. I made up my own texture mod with bits and pieces from other mods.

I also used Nangsid's taps and rugs, and another rug replacer, because I never liked the original rugs.

I also use animal realism (makes especially cliffracers less aggro) a bedspread and fabric replacer, a miscellaneous item replacer, and some textures that make the interior of Redoran buildings look absolutely beautiful.

Then also some additional sounds like marsh sounds, and a cool sealife mod... hmmf, I see I have come a long way from the time that I was still calling myself "Balmoran" :p

Yeah, in the end, if you don't like fiddling around a lot, you might want to go for one of those "pre-packaged" mod combo's, but i've found that there is always something in them that I don't like, especially if they change too much of the original Morrowind flavour.

Hmmm - I feel like I'm going a little mad here, because now I'm not sure if the above post was done by myself… Balmoran is the username I used on a few forums - it's still my username at gamespot/gamefaqs… ummm, and the abovementioned sentiments (except for the drivel about Fable - I hate Peter Molyneax's style, actually) could pretty much have been my own.. :blush:

Do you drink heavily and then get on the internet? ;) Could be you posted then blacked out. You know what that would me though. You really do like Peter and his style. It just takes a few drinks in ya to get you to admit it :lol:

Edit: I think I must of been drunk when I wrote that because this sentence makes no sense "You know what that would ME though :D I meant MEAN. Not sure how I missed two complete letters.

Last edited:
Do you drink heavily and then get on the internet? ;) Could be you posted then blacked out. You know what that would me though. You really do like Peter and his style. It just takes a few drinks in ya to get you to admit it :lol:

Heh, well then I probably only like Peter's style while I'm drunk... -that would explain it eh? :biggrin:
I haven't tried Fable 2, but I hated the 2 Black and White games, btw. :-/

Here is what I'm using
Patches:

Morrowind unofficial patch
Morrowind code patch

Graphics

Morrowind graphic extender
Improved no glow. Removes the annoying plastic magic effect from magic items.
Better bodies
Better heads
Better clothes
Better armors
Slof's better beasts
Plus loads of small graphic mods like key replacer, hendalf's gold, better misc items, few of those better weapon texture mods, clear glass and ice etc…

Gameplay

Quick char. Now you can skip the whole tutorial part in the begining if you wish.

Npc healers. It does what the name says. Now you can get healing services from the tempples. A small but very immersive addition.

Drug realism. Wasn't it annoying that everytime you wanted to trade with someone, the trader refused to do a deal in case you had skooma or moon suggar in your inventory. Now they refuse only if you try to sell those illegal goods.

Dodge mod. Improves unarmored skill. Must for monk lovers.

Fashionable merchants. they no longer wear the armor you sold just before..Looks rather stupid to see a trader wearing full set of dwemer armor inside of his own shop.

Adjusted Magica regen. Magica regens very slow. Makes game much more fun to me and it doesn't unbalance it at all.

Enhanced stealth. Makes stealth system more complex, like penalties for wearing heavy armors etc.

Realistic training. Real sparring partners in fighters guild or imperial legion forts! Naturally they require a fee for their services just like any other training would do,

Herbalism lite. This clever mod allows you to harvest flora without tedious routine of opening containers everytime. I highly recommand this.

Vampire realism. More penalties for being a vampire, but also couple of nice rewards.

Morrowind comes alive. Great mod, I wouldn't play without this.

Gladiator. Makes the whole arena in vivec a worhwhile place to visit and offers a chance to improve your combat skills that is if you can survive :)

Last edited:
Will have to try some of these - reinstalled the game a few weeks ago (never finished either of the expansions which were actually pretty awesome) but haven't started yet - especially Drug Realism, Herbalism Lite, and Fashionable Merchants.

It's stuff like this though that I feel validates my enormous dislike for Bethesda sometimes. These are such small but annoying things that should have been corrected before game release but weren't. Just like the other dozens of "little things" the mod community fixed. Like those damn street signs that weren't in ENGLISH!

I decided to give Morrowind another try.

Meanwhile researching I found a site containing translations of Mods into the German language : http://www.scharesoft.de/joomla/

There is an unpleasant advertisement popup screen, though.

Oh, BEEEP ! I can't find the Games DVD anymore … So this will have to wait …
Normally, I have a certain place where I keep my game CDs & DVDs, but now it wasn't there … Where is it now …:lol:

Wel, sooooo … I began Morrowind only a few days ago. I downloaded a few Mods from the site linked above, which contains Mods translated into German language (even official ones), and I installed 2 small Mods by Sorcha. ;) (Two shops, in fact.) I even translated them. ;) She offered me to download them from a different site, since the download page she normall uses seems not to work for me.

Now, having used several Mods, I ran into a bug, that seems to be Mod-based, that's my impression.

What's happening in the bug is simply this: EVERY person I talk to, presents to me nothing bit (translated) "get out of my shop". Even the last person I must talk to in order to become a free person, that man who is looking like a Roman Legionaire.

So, this becomes a plot-stopper, because this bug prevents me from talking to him about "my" papers he needs to see (and take).

Right now I'm in the process of finding out which Mod causes this bug.

P.S. : Next year is 10 years of Morrowind … @the staff: Why not write a retrospective on it ? ;)

Alrik, your tempting me to install and play again. My sister-in-law bought me the GOY edition but I have yet to install it because I hyave yet to play Risen, Divine Dinity 2, Witcher, and NWN2.

But man I'm tempted because it has been a number of years since I last played and with all those mods that I didn't use before...

FYI - MW on STEAM today for 5.oo, Oblivion for 8.50....

Thinking about doing a reinstall here, MW is the classic primo open-world sp game for the ages

I'm thinking of giving it another go too, I've never even tried the expansions since I always lose patience with the game some way through the main quest. Usually it's the part where you have to traipse across the island talking to all the leaders.

How are Tribunal and Bloodmoon, and what's the recommended level for each? I find it far too easy to over-level in Morrowind, and I wouldn't want to start them as a godlike character.

Back
Top Bottom