Dishonored - 6 Ways It Will Save Gaming

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Official Playstation Magazine UK has some hyperbole titled Dishonored: 6 ways it will save gaming, but the pictorial article oes highlight some of the strengths of Arkane's game:
It’s a new IP
These are risk-averse times. Triple-A titles are huge investments from a publisher perspective, which is why even relatively unknown franchises like Sniper Elite are more likely to get a sequel than a brand new game is to see the light of day – at least with the former you have some idea of how a game might sell based on previous figures. Blame it on software piracy, sub-prime mortages, etc. And yet, Dishonored exists. It’s been likened to plenty of games, and the big names on the development side have very impressive portfolios, but there’s no number, roman numeral or even pithy subtitle attached to it. And if we all buy it, publishers will see how originality can be a real unit-shifter.
More information.

Well I have to admit, I didn't expect Bethesda will pull it through. They've promoted it and made it shine, so now everybody knows what is about and it will probably change the gaming industry like I hoped it would.

It's the first good thing I can say about them

Offtopic: I was going through my list of movies, and noticed 90% of them are directed and written by the same guy. It made me think about how bad are most of the directors out there. The same goes with games apparently. The bad part is that if a movie can be pulled through by 1 man, in a game I've never seen it happen. Maybe he doesn't have the skills, they don't have the money but it just can't happen. That's why good games are so rare

Nah it wont save gaming or change it. The game looks good I'll give it that but I still have my doubts till I play it. At end of the day it's just another game.

Besides articles like this popup every time a new game from a well know developer or publisher comes out. I literally roll my eyes and scoff at them.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Gaming has to be saved from what? Gaming is in danger?

Well after fantastic Sleeping Dogs and Dark Souls, I expect Dishonored to be third GOTY contender, and most likely my personal GOTY winner. It looks absolutely delicious in every way. The fact that they are giving PC version special attention is just gravy. Despite hyperbolic article name, it was actually a good read.

Dishonored looks like a cult hit. I highly doubt mainstream is gonna show any interest in it and it's highly unlikely these articles, recent claims by the devs and the whole expensive voice actors crew is gonna change anything in a positive way.

All major sites like gamespot etc has shown a major interest in Dishonored, i mean it's published by Bethesda, you make it sound like it's some small indie publisher or dev..

To me it still looks like Thief for the derp generation, but that's hopefully completetly wrong.

All major sites like gamespot etc has shown a major interest in Dishonored, i mean it's published by Bethesda, you make it sound like it's some small indie publisher or dev..

To me it still looks like Thief for the derp generation, but that's hopefully completetly wrong.
There are many new IPs that get lots of buzz by media before they're released, but the same can't be said after their release. ( Haze, Lair, Hellgate: London, even RAGE by Bethesda. ) When you are introducing your product to the mainstream, you have to live up to it. It's better to be unknown by mainstream, but loved by a few number of fans ( like Gothic series ) instead of being considered disappointing by mainstream ( by raising expectations unreasonably ) and liked by a few number of fans. Dishonored is my most anticipated game right now, but I fear it's gonna suffer the latter fate. It's not a problem for me. I will play and hopefully enjoy the game. But it's always annoying when people talk negatively of the games you like.

I think that the article makes a good case, though, that this could break through all the muck just on its virtues if executed well. And to the other cynics, sometimes large publishers actually do things right. It's not a daily occurrence, but it's certainly not never.

The other advantages:
1. Bethsoft is big, has big names now, and the marketing muscle to push a good game.

2. Because, Arkane.

Brofist Bedwyr.

Anyway, all designers should feel humble after hearing Arkane's guys talk, and hopefully inspired

I've preordered the game and I'm expecting to be reasonably well entertained but stuff like this article is pure hype machine garbage.
I'm sure that Dishonored will be a fun game but it is also quite easy to identify its potential weaknesses already.
For example, I'd dare to predict that the wild mix of stylistic elements will make the game feel very unrealistic.
Kudos to Arkane for coming up with something "unique" and different but it may be a little too obvious that the setting is just different simply for the sake of being different. There's a good chance that the levels will feel more like themeparks rather than a natural environment and the same goes for the characters including our supernatural assassin whose mad leet über skillz might end up feeling just a tad bit too conveniently Bioshock-ish, Prototype-ish and Assassin's Creed-ish.

We'll see... but this whole hyperbolic Second Coming bullshit needs to stop already... :rolleyes:

Seconded Moriendor. This particular article is extremely laughable. I heard about Dishonored on my holiday, when I couldn't watch a video in an internetcafé I just read how amazing it was supposed to be. That was a fun experiment, because when I ended up seeing the videos, I was disappointed by just that. It doesn't look THAT amazing at all, it just looks like a game with a few nice tricks and spells.

I think the biggest review websites (particularly Gamespot) get their money and the latest news from simply praising the crap out of every game that gets released. A lot of review sites seem to realize that if they're even a little critical of the games of which they get their latest news, they're going to lose exclusive content. That's what's wrong with the industry: it refuses to be self critical and simply wants to make a tun of money. Dishonored is not going to 'save' that, in fact, it's marketing campaign is typical for such a game.

Then again, there's not a whole lot of saving to do. Directors where mentioned as an example: Michael Bay still makes movies and better yet, he gets the biggest budget. Why? Because people watch it. Bethesda, EA, all these companies can keep producing shallow garbage as long as they spoon feed it to a large enough audience. And even I saw Transformers (the first one) and played Skyrim for more then ten hours: sometimes it's nice to shut down your brain.

The blessing is that with an industry this large, there's always opportunity for developers that do care, be it indy or another route (Obsidian). And on the bright side, Arkane might be just such a company, but there's no reason to pretend we can already tell.

PS: First post, yeey.

Harvey Smith worked on Deus Ex. That was 12 years ago. Since then everything he touches turns to garbage.
Arkane have only made 2 games before. Dark Messiah was mediocre.
Bethesda do not reliable produce good games.

There is no sensible reason to get hyped about this. I'm not saying it will definitely be bad, just advising against fervent anticipation.

Bethesda do not reliable produce good games.

I think it would be more accurate and relevant to point out that they don't have a very good record for publishing first titles for another developer's IP. Its not a horrible record but in terms of sales and critical reception I think that constitutes more of a demonstration of the poor track record you were going for than the games produced internally.

Well, I really dug Dark Messiah. Its on a VERY short list of games/single player campaigns that I have played more than once (along with Diablo II and Painkiller + expansions).

But I am getting a little tired of the Dishonored promotion. I'm already getting bored by the game, without even playing it!

Dark Messiah was decent. It was way too short, though, and not very polished IIRC.

It certainly wasn't what I was hoping for after Arx Fatalis.

Dishonored looks and sounds good, but it's almost impossible to get an accurate reading on it with this ridiculous level of hype.

Ironically, it does seem to suffer more than most games by being developed under console limitations. The 360/PS3 are showing their age - and Deus Ex 2 was crap for very similar reasons.

No, I don't think it will be crap - and I don't want to get back to "console vs PC" - but this is a game that really would have been more interesting with the proper hardware driving it.

Not sure what you were looking for in polish, but I thought the gameplay and visuals were excellent. To date no animated spiders are nearly as well done. Not bad for a 6 year old game. The story and characters were not stellar, but as an action/roleplaying corridor game, DMoMM is most excellent!

The thing I find reassuring beneath all the hype is the number and content of the hands-on gameplay writeups there have been for this. Rather than just a few exclusive hands-on previews there were quite a number of minor sites that managed to get to play it at Quakecon - and most of those do make the game sound quite fun.

Back
Top Bottom