The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Yah, classic.

Dug into a box last night and found "Just Say Mao", the third volume of Sire's music sampler series. Man, Sire had a great artist stable back in the day. Heck, even Ice-T's rap track is intelligent and melodic enough to avoid the skip button. My personal pick for best track:
"Dizzy" by Throwing Muses

edit- but the song I've been whistling all day (semi-appropriate, I suppose) is:
"Whistling for His Love" by Danielle Dax

Last edited:
Quite an earworm (couldn't get this out of my head since hubby bought a couple of EA CDs:
Emilie Autumn - Misery loves Company

Some irish feeling to sunday evening

Chieftains - celtic ray

Found a great pub-rock band - Airbourne... There's a great future ahead of these guys, I'm sure... :)

Mixture of AC/DC and UFO... brilliant :D

Empty Glass by Pete Townshend - while 'Let My Love Open the Door' was on the radio so much 27 years ago that I am *still* tired of hearing it, that was never my favorite song, and the rest is so wonderful that I can forgive that one ...

I'm going through the 'Star Wars Faves' playlist on my iPod. Up to 'Empire Strikes Back' ... great stuff. My '10th Anniversary Run' of Jedi Knight put me in the mood.

Stevie Ray Vaughan.. Specaily the song of Lenny ..for those who play Guitar.. Has to agree hes top of my list of good players \ Nice and Smooth/
Stevie Ray

Died too soon like so many others ... I have Couldn't Stand the Weather on an early CD but haven't listened in a while ...

During a business trip, I spun:
Depeche Mode "Black Celebration"
Ether Aura "Before We Could Sing"
Evenescence "Fallen"

I think my position on Ether Aura is well documented here, but it's holding up with time.

Whew ... finished up my 2+ days of Star Wars music ... looked at the KotOR playlist and thought ... not today, Zurg ...

Steve Vai came up in another thread, so in honor of that I'm now listening to Zappa's You Are What You Is

I never gave Joshua Tree a chance. It was far too popular for me back in the day, and Bono had completed his transformation from great musician to pretentious bastard. I probably ought to give it another try some day. It might fall into my "revisionist history" category like a few other bands have.

For me, Delays' "Faded Seaside Glamour" cd. Don't know that I've ever heard a cd with such a strong first three tracks. The rest of the cd is excellent as well, but the opening just floors ya.

I never gave Joshua Tree a chance. It was far too popular for me back in the day, and Bono had completed his transformation from great musician to pretentious bastard. I probably ought to give it another try some day. It might fall into my "revisionist history" category like a few other bands have.

My wife remains a huge U2 fan, and while I stopped liking Bono ages ago Joshua Tree has some really good tunes on there. It helps, perhaps, that I don't listen to words as a general rule ... just the musical effect of the singer. This one still works for me, but their later stuff is weak-sauce and my 'How to Dismantle' they were completely useless in every regard.

It helps, perhaps, that I don't listen to words as a general rule ... just the musical effect of the singer.
Thank you for this. I've been trying without success to put that thought into words for a long time ("incidental lyrics" are very common to shoegaze).

I don't know that I can lose Bono in the mix, though. Some comedian on Bob and Tom had a bit imitating Bono singing "Bingo" (there was a farmer who had a dog...) that's now inseperable from the real guy for me.

Back
Top Bottom