Dungeons of Dredmor - Tutorial Screens

It's coming very very soon now. A matter of days if I'm guessing correctly.

Oh, I really hope so. A modern day roguelike is just what I feel like at the moment.

It's coming very very soon now. A matter of days if I'm guessing correctly.
Good news: Release of DoD is only few days away. Yay!!
Bad news: I have NO spare time the whole weekend and most likely they release DoD on Friday. Woe is me!

Looking ever so much forward to this purchase. It'll be interesting to see how it all finally shakes out on the Tutorial style versus the likes of Crawl: Stone Soup's, Triangle Wizard's, and MageGuild's...

Can't wait, I wish I had a better sense of what difficulty level I should be playing on for a traditional roguelike experience.

Probably the highest one, or next to highest while the personality of the game gets imprinted on ya proper.

Probably the highest one, or next to highest while the personality of the game gets imprinted on ya proper.

Well there are only 3 difficulty levels and I'm certainly not playing on easy, so highest or next to highest are my only options. I just wonder what difficulty the game was balanced around.

IIRC, the testing folk have been hitting it from all 3 angles for the most part(With some no doubt going at it entirely permadeath), and I'd reckon it'll be an ongoing thing as the post-release free further workings get added into the mix.

Looking ever so much forward to this purchase. It'll be interesting to see how it all finally shakes out on the Tutorial style versus the likes of Crawl: Stone Soup's, Triangle Wizard's, and MageGuild's…

Stone Soup has had years to perfect that tutorial and it is just plain awesome. Someone who knows absolutely nothing about a roguelike would have a much better understanding of how to play after that tutorial.

I don't think DoD is as good as that one, but it still does exactly what it is supposed to do and teach you a few things about the mechanics that you would only learn through experimenting and dying :)

IIRC, the testing folk have been hitting it from all 3 angles for the most part(With some no doubt going at it entirely permadeath), and I'd reckon it'll be an ongoing thing as the post-release free further workings get added into the mix.

I was playing the "Rogue" level in the beginning, but I got creamed so badly I went back to Dwarven (normal). Normally I would just keep at it, but I was given the game to test it so I didn't think it was prudent to only test the "death" screen :)

I played permadeath too, but that was sorta by default anyways since they were releasing new builds daily that normally break the savegame.

@fadedc
I tried out all three levels. Easy elf is easy. The normal level is challenging and the rogue level will beat you bloody and call you names if you make too many mistakes. Even on the easy level you have to be careful. It is a lot easier, but at the same time you can die just as easy if you get too complacent. There are some enemies that are deadly no matter the difficulty level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom