Might & Magic X - Review @ Softpedia

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Softpedia has a new review for Might & Magic X: Legacy giving the game a 8.5/10.

There are two types of people as far as Might & Magic X: Legacy goes, those who upon hearing “Might & Magic” think of a role-playing game, and those who think about a strategy game. The former category will greatly enjoy the new game and ignore its shortcomings, and the latter, well, not so much.

The chance to play a modern Might & Magic game that wasn’t changed and transformed in order to “appeal to a wider audience” is one that many fans of the series will jump at, and the game truly does deliver a great adventuring experience, with exciting and challenging combat and replay value.

Unfortunately Might & Magic X: Legacy has a number of shortcomings that will put off many potential players, its very dated and unpolished graphics and performance issues being at the forefront.

The start-stop grid-based movement system along with some of its limitations such as not being able to shoot over a bush that the engine deems unpassable or not being able to flee combat or enter towns while engaged will also be a stream of frustration.

Fortunately, the game fully supports mods, and hopefully dedicated fans will soon come up with more content, such as higher quality textures, in order to improve the gaming experience and address some of the more glaring issues.

If you can get over the dated visuals and the grid map, Might & Magic X: Legacy will prove a magical, enthralling experience that will offer tens of hours of enjoyment and will remind you of all the best times you had with the series.
More information.

Looks fun for what it is, but I notice a distinct lack of crowd-control spells. Is that the actual state of the gameplay or just this guy's "Me-Grimlock, barsh-you now" playstyle?

Does look up my alley more or less (although I wish they'd loose the distracting little jumping blobs with the damage info, or at least make them stay put more or less).

Pity about the ubisoft/uplay connection. Will give it some consideration again after they release a couple of patches and I am done (one way or the other) with Blackguards…

Pity about the ubisoft/uplay connection.

Other than the obvious annoyance of having to install yet another service, it's really not that bad. I finally gave in and installed Uplay recently so I could try Far Cry: Blood Dragon, and I haven't had any issues with it.

I know its not too horrible in the sense that it didn't seem to cause any trouble and it let me play offline for the single game I bought (From Dust on a Steam sale. Should have read the reqs more carefully ;) ). I don't usually make too big a stink about it, but Double DRM is starting to push it a bit (and I have not installed Uplay again on the new build, yet)…

Anyways if the watch reviews are glowing and they patch it a bit more I'll probably get this sooner or later. Especially if Lords of Xulima gets pushed back as I am more or less expecting. The power of nostalgia compels thee! (erm, I meant me ;) )

Last edited:
h I wish they'd loose the distracting little jumping blobs with the damage info, or at least make them stay put more or less

You know you can turn them off in the options...

...where you can (at least from the main menu) also switch from the washed-out low-res textures the review complains about (and which are seen on their screenshots) to crisp high-res ones. Quality games journalism...

You know you can turn them off in the options…

Can I still see the damage done without it hopping like a bunny ?

I guess in the Log window above. Would have preferred a less distracting on enemy way. Still would like to see innovation in actual gameplay elements and not silly and weird fluff like this ;)

I don't really understand the "dated visuals" complaints. The visuals look fine, even in that reduced resolution video, though I do wonder what makes them so special they need 6 GB of memory, as somebody claimed in another thread. Doesn't look better than Skyrim on Ultra, does it?

Anyway, what people should be complaining about is a dated game engine or design. And yes indeed, that does look like a modern (not dated) take on a stereotypical ~1990 dungeon crawler. And looking at their dugneon layouts, the decision to make it step-mode grid based makes sense. The levels seem to assembled from those grid squares. Which is exactly how DMs and early game devs used to do it on graph paper. Probably would have felt weird to the player that everything was all squared off and uniform, if there was free facing and movement.

Well, I do find it ironic that Windows XP isn't seemingly supported, given the game is meant to be for the "old school" RPG fans.

I also find it strange that fleeing isn't possible as this was definitely something you could do in the early games. Perhaps you can move backwards when engaged? Can anyone who has actually played comment on this?

Otherwise, whilst the interface is a little cold and perfunctory looking, I'd still be keen to check this out....can't be worse than IX was. :)

I also find it strange that fleeing isn't possible as this was definitely something you could do in the early games. Perhaps you can move backwards when engaged? Can anyone who has actually played comment on this?

You cannot flee while engaged. Also, you can move even after the enemy has spotted you, but once you attack you won't be able to move at all.

Last edited:
Ranger is correct. Unless you kick the enemy away or the enemy pushes your whole party one step back (for example Lighthouse boss), you cannot move anywhere once engaged in melee distance. Also if you start shooting from a distance with one party member, no movement for others - they have to shoot too or if unable, you have to click the defend option.
The strategy part is bad as there is 25% chance your squishies will be hit since you can't do something with the position to keep them behind "tanks". Now there is a taunt spell tanks can perform, but then we get into another problem. Mana doesn't regenerate, tanks don't have 23465375637845 of mana, so you won't be taunting alot.
Someone mentioned lack of AoE spells as a minus, on that I can't agree. There is early AoE shieldbreaker spell that drops all nearby enemies -11 on defense value, and it's awsome against a group of hostiles.

I do respect Limbic and I don't see uPlay as a huge minus since it's Ubi who's pushing it not devs.
By the first look, and I'm early in chapter 1, this game however doesn't deserve 8.5.

Hm i think you can move while in combat. You just have to wait for the right moment in your partys turn. I think its right after the enemy acted: If its the first turn of your party and you dont select a normal combat option, you can move one square.

But i think fleeing still would be impossible, because the enemy would just chase you forever.

Ok, I played the iso demo for a bit more - and I've decided I quite like it. I've bought it and since I'm already using Uplay for a bunch of games, I don't really mind it.

I've long since accepted that these online services are here to stay. There's no point in fighting against them - nor do they really bother me.

I'm having a lot off fun with it. Basic dungeon crawler, knows what its doing, and its not trying to be Skyrim. I'm fine with that. I particularly like that there's lots of classes available at character creation, so that you need to think about how to balance your party and there are lots of variations to play with.

I'm not far in (level 4), but in terms of crowd control spells I've found a really helpful one that freezes (no damage) groups of enemies that are gathered on one tile. Its a lifesaver when you're getting attacked by multiple groups of enemies and need a bit of breathing space, and its ranged so you can hit them when they're a couple of tiles away. The shield breaker spell that Joxer mentions is also essentially for fighting groups, and there are non-magic AOE attacks as well - eg at later levels blade dancers have a special move that attacks all enemies on adjacent squares.

I think 8.5 is a perfect score and I am in act 3 with doing all the side quests. As someone who has played all the M&M and HoMM games I have to say this game has taken me by surprise.

My only complaints are the loading times and the range combat is a bit off. Also, a bigger world like the earlier M&M games would be cool. But the size of M&MX is not bad and there is plenty to do. I love how you go back to old areas where your party got destroyed to take your revenge. :)

Running from battles is something you do in MMO's and in M&MX you fight to the death. Oh to hear the lamentations of the women.

How's the difficulty? In the video, it seems more than easy, very casual, ennemies hits miss or are blocked, or make 0 damage 90% of the time.

No the game is very hard and I am playing on normal. You go to wrong area and you are dead. You will be using mana potions like crazy and pray you do not run out. Also, you better make the right party and use your skill points wisely. Can't run either so you will have to reload.

Have to save your gold and can't just blow it. Also, helps to get right NPC's in your party. I have played games like this my whole life and this is far from easy. Will try hard mode next time around

How's the difficulty? In the video, it seems more than easy, very casual, ennemies hits miss or are blocked, or make 0 damage 90% of the time.

I'm playing on "Adventurer" - which is the easier mode, and it's definitely not easy. Well, maybe it is easy - but only if you understand the systems and you manage your resources carefully, which takes time to learn.

Compared to 99% of modern RPGs - it's quite challenging.

I'm playing on "Krieger" the harder difficulty setting.

With this setting the game is quite challenging. I have never enough money and I have to plan my resources carefully.
I use a two tanks/two mages party setup successfully and survive most battles.
Without a good combat strategy you have to use too many potions which are too expensive on the long run.

I think you can move if your party isn't within the turn. (i.e you let one party member do an action - drink potion, spell etc). Then you have to cycle through them.

About the difficulty. I think if you played MM before then it isn't that difficult. I learned from the steam forums (yeah right :) ) that the difficulty was lowered. Don't know if it's true. But as a general rule, if you get kicked in the ass in MM, get back after a few levels and try again.

There is almost always another dungeon suitable for your parties level..

Back
Top Bottom