Any thoughts about Kult:heretic kingdoms?

Does anybody remembers Kult:heretic kingdoms?I have this game in backlog since it came out(2004), and I thought this might be time to clear that out, so is game worth the time.Reviews where positive when it came out but I would prefer some more opinions.

Haha, me too! I bought it when it was released, still have the boxed copy, but have never actually played it. I still intend to, but I am fooling myself I think.

I had to look the game up to remind myself which one it was, but once I did, I definitely remembered it. I really enjoyed the game for awhile, especially the attunement system which was kind of cool. I do, however, remember not liking the later part of the game at all, which deteriorated to pointless and repetitive hack and slash through endless monsters.

Well, I found a backup cd I made of Kult and installed it, but it doesn't seem to like Win7 as it won't even launch.

Fix:

I tried this on windows 7 & it's likely going to work for vista also…

1) set your desktop resolution to 1024*768 MANUALLY.

2) compatibility settings :
- set compatibility mode to windows 98 / windows ME (or just 98 depending on your options)
- disable visual themes
- disable desktop composition
- disable adapt to low dpi…
- allow admin mode

3) last step… extremely important… close all your programs… apparrently this game crashes on startup if it doesn't have enough "uniqueness"

Last edited:
Or wait for a GoG version!! :)
To bad I don't see one in the near future but one can hope.;) I have the original boxed release, and it's a pain just to install it on win 7.

I've installed it and have been playing it for a week or so. txa's review is spot on. The primary twist to the action game is the attunement system. Almost every item in the game, gems excluded, has an attunement that can be unlocked. Kult encourages you to be a jack of all trades, as specializing in one type of combat doesn't make you better at it. For instance, you can choose heavy armor attunements that will make you decent at wearing armor and you'll get bonuses. However, you'll only find the next better attunement at the same rate as all other attunements. You can't go buy and attune Heavy Armor 1, 2, and 3 from the beginning. It will be on found loot or in stores as you progress in the game. However, let's say you play on normal your first game and open up the whole world. If you started over then the whole map is open with the next character, not sure if this is a bug, so you could then skip heavy 1, 2, and just go to where Heavy 3 items are sold and gear up :)

As a guy who loves the attunement system, I enjoy swapping out depending on the groups of monsters I'll be facing. If I know that a certain monster is very tough but slow, I'll equip fast weapons and a speed attunement and perhaps a bow to whittle them down before they get to me. The guy who posted about escaping to the dream world is correct, BUT, you don't know what's on the other side when you switch. In later maps, the dreamworld has very fast flying creatures that will swarm you when you arrive. If you're in their area of the map when you cross over, you'll be reloading. :)

This is a very solid game, much better than most action crpgs. Not as good as Divine Divinity, but better than Legends of Dawn or the Blades of Destiny remake. If you haven't played Kult yet and are looking for a solid game, this is a good bet. You will have to either dual boot or follow my guidelines above. I find alt-tabbing sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Always close all apps before opening Kult, but then you can generally tab out and open up Mozilla, Chrome, IE yuk, etc.

Here is a wonderful resource for Kult: http://camilleb.home.xs4all.nl/Kult/

Well, save me some essence :)

As a guy who loves the attunement system, I enjoy swapping out depending on the groups of monsters I'll be facing. If I know that a certain monster is very tough but slow, I'll equip fast weapons and a speed attunement and perhaps a bow to whittle them down before they get to me. The guy who posted about escaping to the dream world is correct, BUT, you don't know what's on the other side when you switch. In later maps, the dreamworld has very fast flying creatures that will swarm you when you arrive. If you're in their area of the map when you cross over, you'll be reloading. :)

I probably de-installed before I got to that point, but I guess switching between worlds should still be viable. IIRC you can insta-switch, so you can at least get a good sense of what areas the creatures in both worlds are patrolling, and then you just have to wiggle a bit. Actually I expected that later in the game there could be monsters that simply exist in both worlds simultaneously, which is the only way I can think of to prevent abuse.

There are several creatures that exist in both worlds. The first you encounter are werewolves and enemy mages. Your point is valid though, Sacred. It doesn't bother me much that I have a win button in combat. There is plenty of combat to be had so winning several battles by exploiting the system is okay with me. I'm not sure if Kult is considered abandonware. I can't find a place to buy new copies but I didn't look exhaustively.

Also a heads up to get the patches as needed, my copy had the 1.2 version and I saw that there is a 1.3 and a 1.5 available.
The game patched fine with 1.3 but you have to make sure what version of the 1.5 you need(American or British), then the game will post the correct version number on the starting screen(1.5).

Back
Top Bottom