DDO

O, and can someone tell me how I open the first gate ? ( not impressed by the interface )

Really ? It's quite intuitive I thought. The only thing I didn't like was the tight-click mouse look, but you can toggle that off.

When the lady tells you to climb the ladder, you climb up and then there's a little crevice/hole you jump in.(follow the red signs) Then there's a guard of some species and you kill it. Just behind the guard is a lever to pull ...

We're all on the Khyber server. A few of us have additional toons on Cannith. If you might ever want to party up with anyone from the Watch, you need to get started on the Khyber server.

@GG- like all interfaces, the DDO one has some quirks. I love the quickbars, but getting them set up to your satisfaction is like having a cactus shoved up your butt. My tab key (targetting) only seems to work properly about half the time, although maybe that's just me. Overall, the UI works pretty well for me though. Plus, as best as I can tell, every single command and keystroke is completely mappable, which allows you to customize things you don't like. This is the only MMO I've ever played, so there's always the possibility I just don't realize how screwed up it is. ;)

Easiest way to find stuff your mouse misses is just hit "Q" then "E". Q will highlight anything close enough for you to interact with and E will initiate the action you can do to that object.

Yes, if you're on either Khyber (main focus) or Cannith (limited focus by some of us) we can attempt to assist your development. Just let us know when and where in advance and someone will try to be there.

As said, we are currently haunting Khyber. These are my characters that I play regularly (or semi-regularly).

Rachail - Human Paladin lvl 15
Aerii - Elven Cleric lvl 16
Murii - Warforged Sorcerer lvl 6
Mirys - Half-Elven Favored Soul lvl 8
Ijii - Drow Bard lvl 7
Wiindsong - Half-Elven Monk lvl 4

Rachail, Aerii, and Ijii are officers, so they can invite you to the guild. Wiindsong is new, and hasn't seen a lot of play time, and Mirys is faily new, created with the recent release of Half-Elves in Update 7. Murii I'm not sure on, as I haven't been playing it recently.

Once you get used to it, the UI is fine, though targeting tends to be bugged, and currently some spells are not working correctly at all due to that. You can set up hotkeys for your hotbars by going into UI settings under options. I generally use 4 (set to shift, ctrl, or alt + #) that serve most of my needs, while the rest I just use the mouse to click.

Depending on your class, some of us may have some gear you can make use of, so let us know what you are playing, and we'll see what we can do. I have a bank character as well, which has who-knows-what piled up. It may mean you need to get a level or two to use it, but at least you'll have something to help out in the coming battles.

Unfortunately, I already got to the point where I don't like MMOs lol. I thought I should try it again, since I hadn't for several years. I found the first quest amusing enough with the little puzzle and I didn't mind waiting a while for some enemies to attack me. But when I came back I could ask the questgiver to give me the quest again...

I might be old-fashioned, but I feel useless in the game. All that I can do is solve a quest and then find that it can be done again. I really don't like that. It's as if what I did did not matter at all. I like being in a game where my actions have some kind of consequence.

So, sorry for starting up a new thread for this, but I probably won't be playing this unless I feel very bored.

Well, the thing about DDO is it's a grind. You run quests for rare items to use later. You can run at higher difficulties, almost every quest has an elite mode which is much tougher, and a few (more added each update) have Epic modes for level 20 characters only. But you're allowed to run things over and over until you're blue.

You do have an effect on the game world, it's just that you can reset everything. Among the amusing things you can do is slay a lich attempting to ascend to godhood, and on a more mundane level, help stop an invasion attempt.

I actually think that DDO is much less of a grind then many other MMO's. There are unique, instanced dungeons that can take you from 1-20 on without repeating any content. Now when you start playing more characters, TR (True Rez) then it does become more of a grind. You can find the optimal quests for your level by this great tool at www.ddmsrealm.com/ddo . It is a Top Ten list. Just enter your level range and it spits back the best quests for your level. Here: http://www.ddmsrealm.com/ddo/TopTen.aspx

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes but I think DDO is one of the best MMO's I have every played and I have played a lot. :)

DDOer, we generally don't allow links to other sites without express permission. Your site link is actually a good one and as a DDO guild leader myself I'm happy to leave the link there, but please avoid doing this in the future. We already have several threads here where DDO is discussed in great detail.

What is (are) your guild(s)? I recently joined the game, would be great to team up with watchers!

Did you get started on the Khyber server? That's where the guild is located. It's remarkably creative name is RPGWatch. ;)

starter tip: pick a drow wizard. Its the only race with 32 points before you've unlocked 32 point builds. You'll have to unlock drow first, but that wont take long. Roll up a 28 pointer just to experiment then start your first main as a drow wizard. Then when you unlock 32 point builds you can get back to the old classes.

I hate this method of unlocking shit. I don't want to protect crates from kobolds ever again.

:) In that case, get veteran status, start at level 4 and skip that boring PITA quest!! :)
BTW, I play a Drow Wizard most of the time!!

It's not really that big of a deal to work your way up and it's a good learning experience to do it once, but you can purchase 32-point build for all the toons on your account as well. Veteran status can only be purchased after you push one character to level 4, so the game really forces you to go thru that "tutorial" at least once.

Fie on that hocus-pocus nonsense anyway! Get a nice sharp stick and do the job right.

We have a thread in the OT forum called Team Corwin. Feel free to post there as well and some good character build tips ect are posted there about DDO by our experts in the field. ;)

Never seen anybody with that guild-name "RPGWatch". Strange...

Well, it's a relatively small guild and it's also global (with all the timezone oddities that come with that), so I don't know that I'm particularly surprised. With the way the game is structured, 6 people can fill out a party and 12 can fill out a raid, so there's not really much advantage to being in a guild with hundreds of people.

Post your character name or pm it to one of us and we can send you a guild invite ingame if you like. Guild vendors are cheaper on most items so being in the guild does have advantages. We also have an Airship you can use.

Back
Top Bottom