King Arthur II - Gamescom Media

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Cynical Brit wondered what King Arthur II is about and made a video about the presentation at Gamescom.

We also have 12 screenshots of the game in our gallery.
More information.

I'll have to check it out. It does seem like a fantasy version of the Total War games, but that isn't entirely a bad thing. I don't really like how the flying units behave though - a bit too lumbering and blimp like. They also seem to track the terrain in an odd way - the dragons at one point tilting sideways with the pitch of a hill they flew over.

Last edited:
If you like the idea of Total War in a fantasy setting, check out Mark of Chaos and expansion Battle March. Fantastic RTT game with way more depth on the tactical battle level than the Total War series, but less strategic depth at the pawn-moving world map level because of the character-driven, RPG-esque approach to the story.

I loved the first one and suggest you try it if you haven't already. Sure it's a bit unbalanced and becomes a cakewalk by the end when your heroes are closer to superheroes than knights. But that's part of the fun.

I have over 80 hours logged on King Arhur in steam, which is actually more than any other game I own on Steam.

Looking forward to the sequel.

The first one was a lot of fun but also had a lot of technical issues (crashes). I had an ati card and there was one area that took a lot of patient to pass (due to constant crashing). Not sure if life is better with nvidia graphics (I kow that at one bug was related to a bad script; and another bug was related to video - the video bug causes the game to allocate something like 8gb and quickly crash; tweaking a video setting fix this issue but it took a while to figure out). The script bug was due to something being done out of order (or in an order the game did not expect but I have no clue what the assumed order was - only fix was to go to an old save and do things differently).
-
Other than the technical issue with the developer did not seem interested in fixing it was a very fun game (I think patches only came with add-ons; I never saw a steam update).

I have an ATI card but never ran into any technical bugs.

The script bug however I did come across, and it annoyed the hell out of me. So I went and checked forums for a resolution to the problem, but like you said the only way was to load an earlier save, which I had none. So I restarted the campaign aware of what NOT to do, and played it through 'til the end without any further problems. The second playthrough it took me less than half the time to reach the same point since I had more experience, but still. I can see why that would make you give the game up.

I still loved it though, simply because there's nothing like it. Give me a Fantasy:Total war with heroes and magic and I'll forgive the gaming industry for everything. Except Dragon age. And Fallout 3. And maybe some other game I've forgotten to mention.

But as far as I'm aware the Total War people only want to make (kind of) historically accurate games. To bad. So I'll buy this game instead, without a moments hesitation.

Isn't there another game coming too that takes place between KA I and KA II? I thought I read something about that.

Not as far as I know, but I do not claim to know very much...

Yes, Fallen Champions or some such—-it is something of a smaller scale game but aims to bridge things. Coming very soon as well I believe, and on the cheap.

I'd like to think KA II will fare better on the technical end given it is on a new engine made from scratch bearing in mind the woes they had with the older one.

I STILL fervently believe Neocore/Paradox need to put their collective foots down and see about an epic 3-way with KOEI to do more fantastical "historical" games in this vein.

There was a full game they released between ka and ka ii; that was not an add on to ka. I no longer remember the name; but it had less magic - i skipped it due to hearing it had the same technical issues as ka.
-
Anyways it was a lot of fun but the crashes drove me nutss (there were also frequent crashes where you would fight a battle - a very long battle and when it was going to give you the conclusion it would crash! (so no chance to save). That happened a *lot* when fighting the undead. Anyways the only other complaints i had was load time was a bit slow (and i had to load a lot due to crashes).
-
I could live with slow load times if they would be more responsive to fixing crashes. On the good side the system was fun; the maps were fun; the quests (esp text quests) were fun and the game was dirt cheap.
-
I wouldn't pay anymore than I paid with the crashes but if they can fix the crashes I would be willing to pay more.

The game that was released after king Arthur was ""The kings crusade". A similar game with the Crusade of King Richard vs. Saladin being the setting. I haven't played it simply because it dind't sound as fun as King Arthur, but it got pretty decent reviews.

Just read about Fallen champions, which seems to be a stand-alone expansion to King Arthur. Think I'll just go ahead and buy that when it comes, to kill some time waiting for King Arthur II.

Other than the technical issue with the developer did not seem interested in fixing it was a very fun game (I think patches only came with add-ons; I never saw a steam update).

That's not true, the latest update came just a month ago on Steam.. it's now v1.07.

Have played a few hours only, no real issues except 1 graphical bug where everyone was standing under the grass instead of above it.

Just ordered it off Amazon for 23.00 with expansion and DLC. I'll see how I like it - thanks for the info/recommendations.

Post back when you've played a while and let us know what you think. Have fun!

So yeah I am liking it (first game) quite a bit so far. It's a different pace from other games I've been playing recently and there are some noticeable glitches. Still, at the currently discounted prices I think it will end up being worth the price of admission

Back
Top Bottom