Game of thrones - game

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A game of thrones - genesis got released:
http://www.agot-genesis.com/

It's strategy and I'm not impressed with screenshots. It got some mixed user reviews on metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/a-game-of-thrones-genesis

However, remembering how Bioware fans trashed The Witcher 2 on metacritic, it's not something i'd believe much.
What's odd is that rpgwatch members, fans of Martin's saga didn't mention this game (or did but I can't find that). And I, declared hater of Martin's milking strategy first through making the books saga longer than planned, then by filming and now by entering the game industry, stumbled upon that game for no apparent reason. Ain't that an irony.
The game is available in several languages (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish) and supports multiplayer (up to 8 players). In any case, I won't be buying anything I see connected to Martin ever, but for Martin's worshippers, prepare 40$.

I have it and can honestly say it is nowhere near worth the price they are charging for it. I can only assume hefty licensing fees are forcing them to charge that much because the game itself seems like something from 10-15 years ago visually and the gameplay doesn't really stand out at all. It's basically an average diplomacy oriented RTS with indie visuals charging a near AAA price.

I would say for anyone pondering it wait until it goes below $20, which I am certain it will. Once they get the Martin fans out of the way, no one else is going to buy it at that price.

Saw the box today in a shop.
I'm waiting for reviews first.

Saw the box today in a shop.
I'm waiting for reviews first.

There is an odd lack of journalism reviews. I think they didn't even bother to send free advance copies to the gaming media so looks like we mostly have to rely on user reviews.

Most magazines buy these boxes sooner or later. At least those I know of.

So I found a couple of blogger reviews which will have to suffice for now since I haven't seen much in the way of press reviews. That's fine with me because I personally find the gaming press the be completely corrupt and out of touch with the average gamer. I think they are bought off by the highest bidder (like EA) and save up all their angst for the smaller developers who don't give them free stuff, but I digress.

Anyway a sort of mixed review is here:

http://theunplayables.com/2011/10/a-game-of-thrones-genesis-review/

And a much more harsh review is here:

http://dicefire.blogspot.com/2011/10/so-today-game-of-thrones-genesis-was.html

Owning the game myself I think they both have fair points, and besides the fact that it is very bland and dated visually, the game just fails to engage me. I feel like it has potential. I like the idea of a much more diplomacy and intrigue based RTS vs a more militaristic one, but this one just comes across as incredibly dull and rather simplistic in some areas, while overly complicated in others without explaining it very well.

Another thing I want to note is that this game has TWO LAYERS OF DRM one of which is the abhorable TAGES. Although all versions of the game no matter where you get it from require Steam, Cyanide has still imposed TAGES DRM on this game as well and they have flat out stated on their forums that they have no intention of removing it.

Last edited:
I saw the game and wrote it off immediately. It had all the trappings of a movie tie-in game, even though it's for TV.

Technically, it's not even a TV adaption.

I don't get why they didn't just adapt the already existing board game. Apparently, they were inspired by it and tried to adapt it unofficially but just couldn't make it work.

I am actually somewhat disappointed in Martin. It's pretty strange for someone who takes such a hard stance on fan fiction to give the ASOIAF license to a company that is known for uninspired and bland games.

I am actually somewhat disappointed in Martin. It's pretty strange for someone who takes such a hard stance on fan fiction to give the ASOIAF license to a company that is known for uninspired and bland games.

Fanfic generates no $ for Martin. Undoubtedly the game did.

Apparently, they shopped their brand around before they found a taker to make tie-in games because Bethesda turned it down.

My guess is, they wanted too big of a cut so no one was biting, then Cyanide took it as a chance to get attention and move up to the big time so they went with it, churned something out on the cheap and then had to charge $40 for it to cover the licensing costs.

This is no way, no how a game that should cost $40 in 2011. Maybe $20 tops and I've bought $20 games with better production values.

Why would Martin need more dough??? I think the books are fantastic, haven't seen the TV-series but I hear it's really good...

Why oh why doesn't he demand GOOD games made with the license? IF they wanted to make a strategy game it should have been something along the lines of the Total War series, not a stupid RTS. Few RTS-games can give the feeling of grand scale that turn-based can, simply because you can NEVER have the same amount of depth in real-time. At least that's my opinion.

And they're making a RPG too. It will probably be great. Honestly. Like in Dragon Age 2 great. Oh wait...

Back
Top Bottom