Eschalon: Book III - Interview @ Gamesauce

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Gamesauce interviewed Basilisk Games' Thomas Riegsecker abouth the history of the Eschalon games, how the indie games market changed over time and what in his opinion made the Eschalon series a success.

If I am honest about what has made Eschalon a minor success, it’s because it is a game series that caters to a very narrow spectrum of gamers. Many of our customers are over 30 and grew up on pre-Diablo style role-playing games, and they are looking for a very specific type of gaming experience now. These are the customers I focus on because if I tried to appeal to the mainstream gamer mass, I would be neglecting the customers who have supported Basilisk Games from the start. It’s a challenging path to follow, and more than once I drew the ire of Eschalon fans for trying to add a feature that I hoped might draw in new customers. Catering to this niche market has limited the game’s appeal to the general gaming audience, though it is the very reason for Eschalon‘s successes as well as its failures.
More information.

I think the major thing holding Book 3 back is the lack of size. Since the engine is archaic, I expected much more content to make up for it. It is the smallest game of the three in hours played. This game is best compared with Avadon and the amount of gameplay in Avadon is infinitely superior. I still hope that BW makes enough to continue as an indie guy. I would support a kickstarter to help him fund his next endeavor if he needed to license a real engine; well as long as it stayed fantasy crpgs :)

I don't see the Avadon series as being superior to Eschalon in terms of content. Eschalon book 3 is big and has none of the bloat of Avadon. Avadon is so heavily padded with trash mobs that become more and more tiresome as the game wears on that I would never think of playing a Spiderweb game twice. Eschalon book 3 is a lot tighter and more essential in content, and it has a far better atmosphere to boot.

I don't see the Avadon series as being superior to Eschalon in terms of content. Eschalon book 3 is big and has none of the bloat of Avadon. Avadon is so heavily padded with trash mobs that become more and more tiresome as the game wears on that I would never think of playing a Spiderweb game twice. Eschalon book 3 is a lot tighter and more essential in content, and it has a far better atmosphere to boot.

totally. everything in eschalon is about content and not putting some MMORPG mobs to "keep the interest".

Back
Top Bottom