Need help with running IWD2

P

purpleblob

After having a blast with IWD + NPC mod, I decided to give another go with IWD2 + NPC project. I did install both the game and mod sometime ago (year or two I think?) and I ran into same problem - game is extremely lagged. I did something back then fix it but now I can't remember what I did. IWD + mod had exact same issue but it was easily fixed by turning on 3D acceleration. I don't think there's 3D acceleration option for IWD2 so I'm stuck :(

I'm running IWD2 on Win 7, previously ran it on Win XP and had same problem. I'm using NVIDIA currently, previously used Radeon. I will get more spec info once I get home.

Thanks in advance!

I had a similar problem with IWD2 on Win XP, and I solved it by altering settings in the NVIDIA control panel:

1. Open the NVIDIA control panel (should be an icon in your taskbar tray)

2. Click on "3D settings" and then select "Manage 3D Settings"

3. Click on "Program Settings" tab, then click on the "Add" button, and then locate the IWD2.exe program file where you installed IWD2.

4. Set "Threaded optimization" to "Off", and set "Multi-Display/Mixed-GPU acceleration" to "Single display performance mode".

Don't know if this will help in your case, but it did solve my problem. If this doesn't work, you could look for answers at sites like gibberlings3, pocketplane, spellholdstudios or other IE game sites. Other than that you can always try a mad google enquiry - just list as many relevant words as you can and see what comes up (I've had some surprising successes with this method).

Best of luck with solving your problem!

I can only suggest trying IWD without whatever mods. If that fails, I'll reinstall it, you'll send me your savegame where it happens and we'll sort it out. But possible problems with 3rd party mods only the author can fix.

When released, IWD had problems with ATI cards for months because of a bug in Catalyst drivers. ATI fixed it later.
Shouldn't behave erroneously on nVidia cards.

I've already tried running it without the mod and I have same problem - it's definitely not a mod problem. BTW, thanks for the offer, joxer! I ended up playing BG:EE last night, so I haven't changed nvidia configuration yet (what groundhog recommended), will try it out tonight :)

I tried to modify nvidia settings, and it works much better, although lag is still present. I think this should be fine enough for me to progress, thanks for the help guys! :)

I tried to modify nvidia settings, and it works much better, although lag is still present. I think this should be fine enough for me to progress, thanks for the help guys! :)
I also encountered this terrible lag (in Windows 7) and I found a solution here. After following the instructions the lag completely disappeared.

I hope this will be of help to you.

Yeah I saw that before as well, but I really prefer to fix it without adding extra program on my PC... thanks for the suggestion though! It seems like I have to live with the lag unless I want to install the tool kit thingo. It usually lags when someone talks (black box) or when someone cast spell which makes battle more irritating.

In case you still need it, I recently run across this fix and thought it might help you.

Back
Top Bottom