The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

What about "Damnation", which is also a prog rock album with only clean vocals?
Yeah!
First 2 songs on there are unfuckwithable:
Windowpane
In My Time of Need

Personally, I was disappointed with Watershed and even moreso with Heritage.
A lot of songs on Watershed suffered from various segments being lazily/incoherently put together and it´s even worse on Heritage.
The album sounds like a collection of half finished, poorly connected ideas and most of the songs feel directionless. Very often when something interesting starts happening, an abrupt shift occurs and the idea remains underdeveloped.
Plus I think Mike is gradually loosing a knack for interesting/original melodies.
There are some nice moments throughout, I really like the overall sound and the last three songs finish the album on quite a high note, but all in all, meh in my book.

Anyway, says DeepO whose top 3 Opeth albums are:
1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. Ghost Reveries

Last edited:
Nice recommendation, Hurls. listening to them on youtube right now zoned on a couple Vicodin, and they seem to complement it well. I think we may have a winner here, ive always liked the gregorian and other chanting in modern music thing.

Glad I could help, hang in there.

I've always like Porcupine Tree (well, since I became aware of them). Was reminded of this one today: Fear of a blank planet.

From the lyrics:

X-Box is a god to me
A finger on the switch
My mother is a bitch
My father gave up ever trying to talk to me

Says pibbur

If you are enjoying Enya, maybe some Enigma? More dreamy but very mellow/relaxing.

They did a great song … I think it has the refrain of "return to your self". It always makes me shiver any time I hear it on the radio (which happens rarely, sadly).

I think it is this song here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Innocence

I hope today I'll find time (and muse, as we often say here) to work through dte's Shoegazing link list - and to listen through OMD's new live album later thi day ...

I'm a bit picky regarding music : I just don't want to listen music next to the other things I do, as kind of a "background noise", so to say; instead, I always try to listen to music with all senses open, being entirely focused on it, especially when I hear an album for the very first time ... This makes me kind of procrastinate listening to music, because m perfectionism always wants me to wait "for the perfect moment" ... I must learn to just let it go ...

Bongripper's "Satan Worshipping Doom"

it's 4 long all-instrumental slabs of doomy instrumental ultra-heaviness, and it can be listened to in it's entirety here. I just bought it for 5 bucks. I like this bandcamp thing, they take paypal. Convenient.

Good stuff - I enjoyed that. I've actually been looking for some instrumental doom lately as I find it good to work to. Vocals can sometimes distract my thought process, but I love the doom atmosphere when doing some types of work.

Any other recommendations for instrumental doom? I know of Sunn O))) and they are great for certain moods, though I'd love to hear of more that are a bit less minimalist (like Bongripper).

I tried sunn the other day, and it was just too minimalist. Like merzbow or something, no melody or anything, just long drawn out chords and feedback. I can see being totally stoned at a live show or something and getting into that whole experience, but sitting in my car or something.. just doesnt work. I dont know any other instrumental doom that I could recommend, sorry.

Speaking of dope, have you ever heard Electric Wizard's "Dopethrone"? Their other stuff is ok, but if you want an awesome slab of ultra-heavy doom w/ great lyrics Dopethrone is the way to go.

Any other recommendations for instrumental doom?

Maybe Omega Massif (Geisterstadt) or Capricorns (Ruder Forms Survive), though both are kinda more "post rock-y"/sludge-y (especially the latter band):
Omega Massif - Arcanum
Capricorns - 1969: A Predator Among Us

Also, Earth´s The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull might fit the bill and it is a pretty unique doom-y instrumental album to boot, often it sounds like Wild West doom or something :):
Engine of Ruin

As for me, besides the above Earth album this thread inspired me to listen to, Monkey3 - 39 Laps, which is quite good "new school" psychedelic rock and incidentally also an instrumental album:
Xub

Last edited:
I tried sunn the other day, and it was just too minimalist. Like merzbow or something, no melody or anything, just long drawn out chords and feedback. I can see being totally stoned at a live show or something and getting into that whole experience, but sitting in my car or something.. just doesnt work. I dont know any other instrumental doom that I could recommend, sorry.

Speaking of dope, have you ever heard Electric Wizard's "Dopethrone"? Their other stuff is ok, but if you want an awesome slab of ultra-heavy doom w/ great lyrics Dopethrone is the way to go.
Yeah I have to be in a really particular mood to enjoy Sunn O))) and its not often. I have heard Dopethrone before - I remember liking it. I should give it another listen its been quite a while.

I'm sure as a connoisseur of doom you've heard Sleep's "Dopesmoker"? That is the quintessential dope-themed doom epic in my book.

DeepO - Thanks for all those ideas! I liked all of them and had only heard of Earth before. I listened to Omega Massif for a while working today and it was perfect for what I was looking for. I don't mind the post-rock or sludge elements at all. Post-rock is a rich genre for instrumental stuff.

Which kinda circles back to some of that zombie rockabilly stuff you used to put up...

Which kinda circles back to some of that zombie rockabilly stuff you used to put up…

Fields of the Nephilim?

Personally I'm listening to the third song of Northen Lights by Covenant (the song is called Bullet), an album which I thought was good for about three songs.

Übereil

Sammy would know better than me. Go back 20 or 30 pages in the thread and you might find it. He posted a band picture, IIRC.

Oh man, you gents are speaking my language when it comes to doom metal! Excellent stuff. I'm a Sabbath freak from my high school days and haven't really looked back.
Finally got to see Tony and Geezer when they performed with Dio in 2007.

Other great acts I've seen live:

Ozzy (A somewhat rehabilitated, but still decidedly zombie-esque in 1997.
Cathedral (twice 1997 and 1999...doom or be doomed!)
Monster Magnet (1998)
Electric Wizard (2005 in Melbourne. Amazing show. Return Trip still sounds like a herd of woolly mammoths descending upon one's eardrums. I haven't really enjoyed their stuff post-Let Us Prey quite as much though.)
SunnO))) (In 2006. It was pure unadultered, ritualised amplifier worship)
Om (featuring the ex bass player of Sleep) Just last year in 2010. I've been listening a bit to the reunion gig recently as well actually.

@Sammy - Bohren is gorgeous music. Darkly contemplative stuff. I have most of their releases. Geisterfaust is probably my favourite along with Black Earth and Sunset Mission.

Any other recommendations for instrumental doom?

The first Pelican EP and perhaps Australasia as well. The track "Drought" taken from that is a monster of riffing proportions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrJGqz6nZ4.

Their following releases are still instrumental, but move further into post-rock space (so not as heavy, but often more shrill, spacy and melodic) influenced by the likes of Godspeed You Black Emperor!
I saw Pelican in 2007…that was a great year for gigs.

You may also like 5ive's Continuum Research Project's first album (when they were called 5ive…not to be confused with the boy band!) That's very fuzzy, meandering, psychedelic and muffly - the riffs can be quite indistinct at times, but it's quite nice I think! They also did a cover of Pink Floyd's "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" which is fantastic. (as heard on "The Hemophiliac Dream")

More traditional metal instrumental approach but with a doomy edge:
Serpent Throne (Try White Winter Black Summer)

My last recommendation would have to be Holland's Toner Low - and man, do they have a sweet tone. ;) (I and II)
Stay doomed!
Cheers

Last edited:
Nice referral on the Serpent Throne, that white summer/ black winter cd sounds like it's just what I'm looking for.

Check out my posts in this thread, I've left a long trail of all the doom metal I've been into, it's my favorite genre. Unfortunately, at times I feel as if I'm hanging on by a thread lately in RL w/ some health problems - that's actually pulled me out of it a bit. More about the instrumental and "gothic doom" right now. Even tho a lot of that can be pretty miserable at times too

I have to say that if you want what's tops on my gothic doom list, try Draconian's "where lovers mourn" or Tristania's "widows weeds", both acts changed their sound later but those are the quintessential gothic doom albums for both.

How like a Winter's "Beyond my Grey Wake" is an unbelievable gothic at times kinda doomy cd worth checking out too.

Ok, I cant let this post go without putting up one of my favorites Ive been rocking out to all day - Blood Ceremony!

Great wavy tremelo bar sabbathesqe retro occult doom, w/ a female singer who also jams on the flute. Also some demented sounding organ which sounds right out of a herschell gordon lewis movie. Great stuff, tripped over it one day and it's now in my top ten.
Blood Ceremony - Rare Lord
Blood Ceremony - I'm Coming with You
Blood Ceremony - Hymn to Pan
Blood Ceremony - Into the Coven

Last edited:
Nice catch Hurls - I didn't see that they were playing.
From their output, I have Gone:A Collection of Eps and One More Step and You Die.
Really beautiful music.

@Sammy
Hang in there mate, keep those claws unfurled and as sharp as you can. ;)
I completely agree on the cathartic nature of doom. I've been listening to it for many years now and it's always been there when I've needed it. It's definitely a sub-genre of a sub-genre these days though! So many sub-types around now.

Thanks for the Blood Ceremony tracks - I have the first album, but not the most recent release. Reminds me of Jethro Tull meets Sabbathy parts with sprinklings of Black Widow; (a band I quite like actually) particularly in the ritualistic elements and female vocals. Not bad at all, although I'd probably lean more in favour of earlier stuff like Witchcraft's first album or Burning Saviour's second album (Hundus) for that brand of 70's edged folk oriented doom rock.

Thanks for the gothic doom recommendations - I've not got into either of those groups you mention, though they're quite well known. This genre is a stickler for me since it's hard to pin down and the notion of what is "gothic" is subjective to people. For me, generally, it means a more romantic or feeling laden music which is more atmospheric, ambient and perhaps even psychedelic than traditional doom.

I like early-mid period Anathema (especially the Silent Enigma and Eternity) Tiamat (Wildhoney) Early-mid period My Dying Bride and very early Celestial Season.
There were two Australian acts that play the style quite well - Chalice and Avrigus, the latter of which has an operatic/orchestral edge.

Why does so much music I like come for Sweden I often wonder? :)

Back
Top Bottom