Gothic 3 G3 + CP 174 as a mage

bloodlover

Sentinel
I am about to start G3 with a mage. However I am a bit confused about this path, especially with the latest CP patch that seems to balance the game. I've read some tips on the internet about this, but they don't say how does the mage change with the the last CP. This balance is supposed to make you play a single type character but I know mages are versatile classes and making a fun and useful one seems a bit hard.

I have not decided yet what to pick beside the usual alchemy + the skinning stuff (for money ofc). I know learn quickly and mana regeneration are a must but giving the fact that the CP changes the stats and world a little bit, are they really necessary to get at low levels or I can just play the game as normal and don;t rush for them? I also read that it;s easier and faster to just spam low level spells that cast high level ones... is it true?

I wouldn't worry too much. The important thing is to get enough mana/ancient knowledge to use the primary spells to take out most targets. And yes, the basic spells work as your main spells through most of the game (lightning, frost or fire).

The important thing, as always, is to avoid doing the liberations until you're powerful enough to do it. There's simply no reason to do it early.

As long as you follow that last tip, Gothic 3 - with or without the latest community patch - is simply no G2: NotR in terms of difficulty, so the same kind of planning is not needed.

The Community Patch Team mostly worked on the broken melee combat so the basics for creating a strong mage are the same. Get Learn Quickly and Mana Regeneration as soon as possible and the game will be a breeze. Beware though, getting Mana Regeneration early is quite possible ( I think I managed to around level ~20) but if used right can make the game terribly easy.

With Alternative Balancing enabled you will be required to meet some prerequisites before learning skills . For example you have to get Learn Quickly before getting Mana Regeneration and having the latter is required to learn Fire Mage or the spell Light is required if you want to get Fireball. I believe the patches also change the required stats for some skills.

For what I remember spamming low level spells like Fireball or Ice Lance instead of Fire Rain etc worked much better in the unpatched Gothic 3 as the high level spell took very long to cast which made them impractical. I think the Community Patch team tried to address that by changing the area that some high level spell effected from near the Nameless to near the targeted enemy. I don't recall testing it but getting better spells should be more rewarding with the Community Patch.

You can find a manual here which should give you a better idea of what I mean.

Finally, if this is not your first time with Gothic 3 I would suggest, without any doubt, installing Quest Packet 4.2 and the latest Content Mod (2.2 was the version I used). The difficulty may be much higher but if you make your choices carefully the game will be a much better experience, not unlike the earlier Gothics.

You can find mirrors in this post.

English translation is included in the installer linked in that post (G3_Questpaket_4_Update2_Vollversion) .

Epic resurrection on my thread: Is there such a thing as black mage robe in the game? If you look @ http://www.worldofgothic.com/gothic3/?go=g3armors it says that it is but it seems you can't get it without a cheat o_O The readme for the 1.74 patch says that Heavy Hashishin armor acts as robe, but many ppl on other forums say it's not true.

This is all very confusing >.>

Back
Top Bottom