Diablo 3 - Systems Changes

Oh dear - you better don your flame-proof "+3 Pantaloons of Fleeing" ;-)

On this site I doubt he needs the pantaloons ;)

Any remark about dumbing down and consolitis automatically give a critical hit. No dice rolls needed.

My interest in this game is waning fast. Not so much because of Blizzard's stubborn in$istance to make this game play on consoles, but because I don't think this game has been all that close to release. And yes, this "When it's done..." nonsense is cute and all, but it's getting old. Please give us a reasonable timeframe in which this game will be released. If it's delayed for simultaneous release on consoles, then just say it.

I'm thinking a 2012 Q4 release at best. Stupid Blizzard :(

But even defence didn't provide physical resistance. In fact there was no way for a player to specifically gain physical resistance in D2. There were a few rare items that resisted a certain % of all damage you took and those would reduce your physical damage taken along with everything else. But other then that, physical resistance in D2 was purely a monster stat.

As for hidden stats in D2, there were stats that didn't show up on your character sheet, but every stat showed up on the item. So it's pretty easy to know what all the stats were. For example your character sheet may not have shown "magic find" but the item you equpped did so you knew it was a stat. D3 is the same way to my understanding. But Blizzard also frequently answers questions and clarifies information about game mechanics.

Ah, I am confusing defense with armor.

There were a lot of hidden stats in D2. Are you all of the stats are exposed to the player this time? If not how do the fan sites know what the full set of stats are?

There were some stats that weren't on items for D2, I thought. Maybe attack speed? My memory could just be failing though. ;)

But what isn't apparent in the names of stats on equipment is the relationship between stats. Some stats affected others, so you couldn't tell without a lot of testing what those undocumented relationships were. For example damage rate is function of a bunch of things.

Attack speed was definitely an item stat that was right on every weapon you used. It was one of the major things you looked at when you got a new weapon. I can't really think of any stat that wasn't on an item, though maybe there was something somewhere.

Your right though that relationship between stats was never completely clear in D2and things often didn't work the way you would expect. Blizzard seems to be aiming for more transparency in D3, but I'm sure there will still be things that people misunderstand for awhile. But that's a seperate issue from how many stats there currently are and what they do.

Finally it's worth noting that there is actually one stat that is being removed with this system change which is attack. Attack used to be a stat which increased the damage of your attacks, regardless of whether you were a wizard or a barbarian. The problem with this is that it made items a little too streamlined....ie gloves of attack improved a barbarians battle axe chops and a wizard's fireballs by the same amount. So this was changed so that damage increase was tied to your classes primary stat (ie strength for a barbarian) rather then a generic attack stat. Personally this sounds like a good change to me.

To summarize, the other stat changes are just name changes. Defence was changed to armor. What armor used to do was renamed physical resistance. Precision was renamed to crit chance (which was always what it was).

There were some stats that weren't on items for D2, I thought. Maybe attack speed? My memory could just be failing though. ;)

But what isn't apparent in the names of stats on equipment is the relationship between stats. Some stats affected others, so you couldn't tell without a lot of testing what those undocumented relationships were. For example damage rate is function of a bunch of things.

What's with all the flip-flopping on key design decisions so late in the game? This isn't just tweaking and polishing, it smacks of something more foreboding, like design leadership that don't have a clear vision of what the hell they’re doing.

As a prime example, they've been working on this for how long, stating that being forced back to town is bad and disruptive so they're going to design in these great streamlining features (which were great, btw) to allow you to deal with junk-loot efficiently and now all of the sudden forcing you back to town is in your best interests? But wait! That’s not all! While we are at it flip-flopping, we'll flip mid flop and say you don't have to go back to town to identify items anymore because you're just that bad ass!

:-|

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Yeah a lot of these changes sound stupid. Having to wait a few seconds without being interrupted to town portal is a good change. TPing in the middle of a fight was similar to quaffing a bunch of potions at once. Going back to town to sell off gear was always annoying in the other games. There was never anything interesting about the NPCs. There isn't any in the D3 beta.

Salvaging items on the go, I thought was great. What bugs me about the game is how they've limited the skills you can have access to, made all skills based on weapon damage, and pretty much made character building not look interesting at all. It just looks so shallow. That's what is going to make the game suck, I think.

It sounds like they are just listening to a bunch of nostalgic fans that think they want the same game instead of a better game. I bet they will be complaining about the removal of identify scrolls next. I don't really agree with that change but there are worse things in the game to complain about.

Back
Top Bottom