Risen - X360 Review @ IGN

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The first review of the freshly-released NA X360 version of Risen is up at IGN. Written by Charles Onyett - who I seem to recall reviewed a couple of Gothics - the score is 7.6/10 and the tone is generally positive. Graphics, uneven frame-rate and some minor control issues are the main negatives. Here's a snip:
Beyond making decisions about which faction to choose, the first chapters of Risen are packed with side-quests that gradually introduce you to its combat systems and various skill sets, from alchemy to lockpicking to prospecting and metal working. It's in these parts that's Risen begins to build an affecting tone with its authentic NPC dialogue and strong voice acting. The populace of Harbor Town is tired. The people complain of reduced business prospects with the recent trouble surrounding the island, and to cope they resort to thievery, drug running, and extortion. They're a beat-down lot, content to drown their worries in beer and everyday routine, and as a result they feel more like real people. The quests you're given frequently overlap and often have logical goals, making the NPCs seem like more than faceless task dispensers.
More information.

I'm really, really glad they didn't butcher it like the Divinity II 360 version. It's true, this version of Risen has butt-ugly graphics including HORRENDOUS textures (just look at the ones used inside caves! My god!), a unsteady framerate and a bad draw distance that really detracts from the atmosphere. It also had some minor issues such as somewhat difficult controls.

But I was able to look past these things after about 30 minutes. And I played the game for about 50 hours. For people like me who can't play the game on the PC because theirs is too weak, this is a viable alternative. It's just a really ugly one.

On the other hand: too weak? My 5-year-old PC with a relatively recent 50,- graphics card runs the thing just fine! You'd be surprised. :) Speaking of Risen, I'm still in chapter one. :(

Ahh, Risen. Makes you wonder what an early Gothic might have played like on a console...

Just thought I'd throw in my aesthetic appreciation for this game on PC here.
It was one I played and really thoroughly enjoyed over the summer, despite the fact that it is technically banned in our country (tsk tsk, Mr Atkinson) I thought I was more than justified in getting my hands on it.

Arcania really does have a large shadow to emerge out of.

Speaking of Risen, I'm still in chapter one. :(

No no no, you are still at the beginning of the game, you still have so much to look forward to. So turn that frown upside down :)

Risen as good as it is has enough flaws that it can be beaten by Arcania with the right design and story telling. I doubt it will, but its possible.

I'm really, really glad they didn't butcher it like the Divinity II 360 version. It's true, this version of Risen has butt-ugly graphics including HORRENDOUS textures (just look at the ones used inside caves! My god!), a unsteady framerate and a bad draw distance that really detracts from the atmosphere. It also had some minor issues such as somewhat difficult controls.

But I was able to look past these things after about 30 minutes. And I played the game for about 50 hours. For people like me who can't play the game on the PC because theirs is too weak, this is a viable alternative. It's just a really ugly one.

There are reports that the graphics have been tweaked for the NA release. Maybe Deep Silver decided to pay the studio which did the port to find more performamce.

There are reports that the graphics have been tweaked for the NA release. Maybe Deep Silver decided to pay the studio which did the port to find more performance.

Yes, several sources have reported that they used the intervening time to polish up the graphics somewhat, and anecdotal reports from gamers I know who've played the Euro port and have seen vids of the NA port confirm that the graphics have indeed been improved. They're still not as good as PC, but it's good news that they're a step up from the Euro port (which got a Metacritic average of 57).

I've been having difficulty finding the game. It was supposedly released Tuesday and in stores Wednesday, but I haven't been able to find it in any stores around here. Perhaps it will arrive later in the week. I plan to pick it up, when it does.

Back
Top Bottom