Skyrim - Hi-Res Screens

I'd really have to suffer from serious self-esteem problems if I had to claim to be able to see these things in many cases, without it being true.

Personally, I have a hard time thinking up a more worthless skill - but I CAN actually do it very often :)

It doesn't mean I can't be mistaken, though.

I did not mean you can`t - I meant it can be very deceptive. These days there`s so much tidbits of information floating around that in most cases you already knew that the game is using this or that engine before seeing an actual screenshot.

Also it`s not like there`s hundreds of them engines being used - just a few.

I just say "it`s Unreal" at everything - and am actually right in 83.2% cases :)

@JDR13
Eh, we all need a signature skill - Sidney can shoot a dick`s fly from a distance, and I can turn a sensible thread into an unrelated gibberish sometime ;)

I did not mean you can`t - I meant it can be very deceptive. These days there`s so much tidbits of information floating around that in most cases you already knew that the game is using this or that engine before seeing an actual screenshot.

Also it`s not like there`s hundreds of them engines being used - just a few.

I just say "it`s Unreal" at everything - and am actually right in 83.2% cases :)

@JDR13
Eh, we all need a signature skill - Sidney can shoot a dick`s fly from a distance, and I can turn a sensible thread into an unrelated gibberish sometime ;)

Why is it you assume or suspect that I haven't considered those things myself, and taken them into account when claiming I'm pretty good at spotting engines?

I spent way too much of the last 28 years playing games and maintaining a passionate interest in all things related to that.

Are you willing to entertain the possibility that I might actually know what I'm talking about?

Last edited:
As long as I can mod the game with the most recent HG Eye Candy mod, the rest of them don't matter ;)

Why is it you assume or suspect that I haven't considered those things myself, and taken them into account when claiming I'm pretty good at spotting engines?

I spent way too much of the last 28 years playing games and maintaining a passionate interest in all things related to that.

Are you willing to entertain the possibility that I might actually know what I'm talking about?

Why should I assume anything? Ok, I`ll start when everybody else - including you - will do it too.

And why so serious? I thought it was an internet forum dedicated to RPGs, not UN meeting on how to deal with North Korea.

If you really can sift through the inner workings of how deceptive your brain is - then kudos to you sir, for you are one of the new super - human breed. I study this subject for many years and try to be aware of it - and yet I fail most of the time and have to roll constant vs.Brain checks.

Why should I assume anything? Ok, I`ll start when everybody else - including you - will do it too.

And why so serious? I thought it was an internet forum dedicated to RPGs, not UN meeting on how to deal with North Korea.

If you really can sift through the inner workings of how deceptive your brain is - then kudos to you sir, for you are one of the new super - human breed. I study this subject for many years and try to be aware of it - and yet I fail most of the time and have to roll constant vs.Brain checks.

I think you should go first with the not-assuming-business, and you just flunked the course - because you assumed I was particularly serious :)

Also, I'm not sure I would be all that serious at a UN meeting.

In any case, I actually have an interest that goes above my interest in gaming, and you know what that is? The human psyche.

So, while I won't agree to your strawman about sifting through the inner workings of my brain with total success - I would like to postulate that I've thought about that which I claim to be capable of, to a greater extent than you might think.

Sure, sure :)…please re-read your post and tell me it doesn`t sound serious. (actually don`t - it was just a figure of speech)

My original point was that our brains lie to us on a daily/minutely basis - and it wasn`t even especially directed at you - but everyone, myself included.

But, of course, it`s easier to call it a strawman - this tired, internet discussion get-outta-jail device, that most of the time doesn`t even apply.

Sure, sure :)…please re-read your post and tell me it doesn`t sound serious. (actually don`t - it was just a figure of speech)

My original point was that our brains lie to us on a daily/minutely basis - and it wasn`t even especially directed at you - but everyone, myself included.

But, of course, it`s easier to call it a strawman - this tired, internet discussion get-outta-jail device, that most of the time doesn`t even apply.

The irony of my internet persona is that I always sound serious, but I'm very rarely actually serious.

Well, maybe I am in the way that I find "serious" discussions a lot more interesting than those based on pure fun. But I'm having a great time with it, I promise you - and my workday is over so much sooner that way.

So, when people - like you - like to make certain claims or use certain arguments, I find it a lot more interesting to take it seriously, than guessing whether you might end up claiming it's all a big joke - because you're not really capable of arguing your case without it being too serious for you ;)

Oh, and arguing like I've claimed something without me having actually made any such claim is a strawman - no matter how much I get out of "jail" by stating it to be the case.

But if a debate with you is being in jail - I'd say they need to improve security a bit, because BOY is it lax ;)

The irony of my internet persona is that I always sound serious, but I'm very rarely actually serious.
Fine. And paragraph later you say:
So, when people - like you - like to make certain claims or use certain arguments, I find it a lot more interesting to take it seriously, than guessing whether you might end up claiming it's all a big joke - because you're not really capable of arguing your case without it being too serious for you ;)
So it`s ok for you to be an ironic internet persona - but I`m not allowed, because you decide if I was serious or not. It`s also ok for you to say it was just a joke (as you just did :) - but again, if I do it - it`s a no-no, I`m not capable of arguing, etc...

Oh, and arguing like I've claimed something without me having actually made any such claim is a strawman - no matter how much I get out of "jail" by stating it to be the case.
In reply to my post you said "Why is it you assume or suspect that I haven't considered those things myself, and taken them into account when claiming I'm pretty good at spotting engines?".

You`ve made that claim. Hence strawman invalid.
But if a debate with you is being in jail - I'd say they need to improve security a bit, because BOY is it lax ;)

Perhaps it`s down to our nickname personas - you, a daring verbal duelist, slashing opponents with his indefensible put-downs (like the one quoted). Me - a mumbling don`t make -much-sense drunk from a corrupted harbour.

"Each to it`s own", eh? :)

So it`s ok for you to be an ironic internet persona - but I`m not allowed, because you decide if I was serious or not. It`s also ok for you to say it was just a joke (as you just did :) - but again, if I do it - it`s a no-no, I`m not capable of arguing, etc…

Am I in a position to decide what you're allowed to do?

Oh, and why so serious?

In reply to my post you said "Why is it you assume or suspect that I haven't considered those things myself, and taken them into account when claiming I'm pretty good at spotting engines?".

You`ve made that claim. Hence strawman invalid.

Afraid not, as you claimed thus:

Have I considered that my brain can be playing tricks on me? Yes.

Am I actually capable of sifting through my inner workings and am I a super-human breed? No.

Well, I don't think so.

Perhaps it`s down to our nickname personas - you, a daring verbal duelist, slashing opponents with his indefensible put-downs (like the one quoted). Me - a mumbling don`t make -much-sense drunk from a corrupted harbour.

That sounds reasonable ;)

"Each to it`s own", eh? :)

Indeed yes sir!

"Whatever" :)

Can we just agree that we`re both not-serious-all-the-time etc (also: extremely opinionated gits:), otherwise we`ll go through the same motion every now and then.

Of course there is the "ignore" button option - but I consider it rather lame (I`d rather just not read a post), besides I do actually enjoy majority of your posts/arguments, even when disagreeing.

(Also: If you`ll recall/read "Shadow over Innsmouth" you`ll find that ol`Zadok, for all his deceptive appearance was actually right in the end :)

My god, this has turned into a nerdfest.

They look good, what else is there to say?

"Whatever" :)

Can we just agree that we`re both not-serious-all-the-time etc (also: extremely opinionated gits:), otherwise we`ll go through the same motion every now and then.

Of course there is the "ignore" button option - but I consider it rather lame (I`d rather just not read a post), besides I do actually enjoy majority of your posts/arguments, even when disagreeing.

(Also: If you`ll recall/read "Shadow over Innsmouth" you`ll find that ol`Zadok, for all his deceptive appearance was actually right in the end :)

Oh, alright ;)

I love Shadow over Innsmouth by the way - it's my favorite Lovecraft shortstory.

As for the ignore button, I generally use it to save time and effort - and I wouldn't blame anyone for using it on me. I can easily see why they'd do it :)

I love Shadow over Innsmouth by the way - it's my favorite Lovecraft shortstory.
........and "Whisperer in darkness' - just so you know when you stumble upon henryAkeley somewhere else on the interwebs ;)

As for the ignore button, I generally use it to save time and effort - and I wouldn't blame anyone for using it on me. I can easily see why they'd do it :)

Yeah, I guess...it`s just I thought about a scenario when you ignore-out all the annoying disagreers (?)...wouldn`t that be boring, of sorts?

Yeah, I guess…it`s just I thought about a scenario when you ignore-out all the annoying disagreers (?)…wouldn`t that be boring, of sorts?

Indeed, and that's not the kind of person I usually ignore.

I don't ignore many, but I tend to ignore those where it always ends up being personal - which I think is very counterproductive to healthy debate.

Not that I'm without blame in those cases, but I find that with some people - there's just no way around it.

I usually take them off ignore after a while, just to test the waters. Sometimes it turns out we have nothing more to get personal over - so that's nice :)

Back
Top Bottom