PC Magazine chief editor tires of Windows Vista, endorses Linux

zakhal

SasqWatch
friday, August 17th

PC Magazine editor-in-chief Jim Louderback today chose to express his frustration with Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system as he passed down the publication's leadership to his successor, Lance Ulanoff. Louderback said he is tired of Vista's broken features, and that he may even switch to Linux moving forward. "The litany of what doesn't work and what still frustrates me stretches on endlessly," Louderback wrote. The former editor-in-chief, who is assuming a position as CEO of a company called Revision3 to experience a change in scenery, lists numerous buggy features in Vista which include sleep mode, unreliable networking, and general slugishness when compared to the older Windows XP in many areas.

"I could go on and on about the lack of drivers, the bizarre wake-up rituals, the strange and nonreproducible system quirks, and more. But I won't bore you with the details," Louderback said.

"The upshot is that even after nine months, Vista just ain't cutting it. I definitely gave Microsoft too much of a free pass on this operating system: I expected it to get the kinks worked out more quickly. Boy, was I fooled! If Microsoft can't get Vista working, I might just do the unthinkable: I might move to Linux."

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/08/...g.chief.vista/

Take sleep mode, for example. Vista promised a new low-power sleep mode that would save energy yet enable nearly instantaneous resume. Poppycock. The brand-new dual-core system I built a few months ago totters off to sleep but never returns. I have to cold-start it to bring it back. This after replacing virtually every driver inside. It's gotten so bad that I've actually nicknamed it Chip Van Winkle. And I've nicknamed my primary Dell notebook Philip Marlowe.

But it's not just the long sleep. My home notebook acts as if it comes from Starbucks rather than HP. It used to snooze—but now, after a recent Vista update, it never goes to sleep at all. Its new nickname: Compuccino

more
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2171472,00.asp

I just wish game developers wont forcefeed us that horrible thing with vista only games. Last I heard even crysis is going to be vista only. I wonder if microsoft is doing damage on game industry with crappy moves like this.

<rant>
And as cream of the cake I just have to mention halo 2 on vista. Apparently if you are forced to reactive vista (because it breaks down or somthing) you have to reactive halo 2 also. You have to call somone to ask permission to play your own game, after the operation system *they* made crashed forcing you to reactive it. Imagine how fun it would be if youd had like 10-20 games like halo 2 and the os goes the way of the dodo bird and you have to call somone from india to get it all back. Sounds like stuff from nightmares etc.</rant>

Last edited:
I'm perfectly happy with XP and have zero plans to move to Vista in the foreseeable future. Two years from now is about the earliest I'd consider a Vista system, really.

As for the Halo 2 reactivation, technically Halo 2 is not "your own game". You own the rights to play the game on your own personal computer system, but that's it really. Microsoft owns the game and can administer it as they see fit.

I'm perfectly happy with XP and have zero plans to move to Vista in the foreseeable future. Two years from now is about the earliest I'd consider a Vista system, really.

The problem is that Vista only games are starting to come out now allready. There are only two choices in the next to years; Either skip new games for two years or buy a buggy OS to play them.

As for the Halo 2 reactivation, technically Halo 2 is not "your own game". You own the rights to play the game on your own personal computer system, but that's it really. Microsoft owns the game and can administer it as they see fit.

That doesnt change the fact that the way MS is doint it is painful for the customer. Thats of course only for those customers that buy it legally. The game itself is crackable up to the limit that you can play it freely on XP.

I do hope the customer will use their money to tell them what they actually think of all this.

Besides, the non-vista era has still a big back-catalogue ... of games, I mean.

And, seeing how much I dislike recent PC games in general right now (you know, my distaste of action stuff), I see it a possible that I might switch to Linux plus a console one day when the "vista only" thing breaks through full-scale.

Last I heard even crysis is going to be vista only. I wonder if microsoft is doing damage on game industry with crappy moves like this.

I don't mean to be harsh but that's bullshit (Crysis being Vista only that is) ;) . And that's actually the general problem with all of this. People just "hear" too much bullshit, make assumptions and jump to conclusions. Relax. The only two Vista exclusive games so far are Shadowrun and Halo 2 and at least Halo 2's Vista exclusiveness can be circumvented via "haXX". There are only very few Vista exclusive games coming up. The only one I can think of right now is Alan Wake. Vista simply doesn't have the install base yet to warrant more exclusive titles. It's not going to change anytime soon either. And finally you do have a choice here, you know. If you really, absolutely, positively must play one of those Vista exclusive games then go and buy Vista but please stop bitching about it. Bitching about Vista is sooo 2006 ;) .

I have no concerns at all about Vista-only games. So far, the Vista-only games are action games, which I really have no interest at all in, and I'm guessing that the trend for Vista games will be with the huge graphics-intensive action shooters for a good while yet.
In fact, I'd be surpised if the Vista-only initiative actually takes off at all. Eventually games will get to the point that XP isn't good enough to run them for whatever reason, but by that point Vista ought to have all it's problems worked out and most people will have Vista as XP won't be available anymore. So a good many years down the road, really.
I'd also be willing to bet that those Vista-only games will be available on consoles as well. So yeah, while you'd still be supporting MS by buying a 360 for example, you don't have to buy an OS you don't like.

I don't mean to be harsh but that's bullshit (Crysis being Vista only that is) ;) . And that's actually the general problem with all of this. People just "hear" too much bullshit, make assumptions and jump to conclusions.

What I heard was from my crysis ce preorder. They sent me an email that the game is vista/directx10 only. Obviously it seems quite unbeliavable even if it comes from the gameshop selling the game to you so thats why i said "last I heard".

And finally you do have a choice here, you know. If you really, absolutely, positively must play one of those Vista exclusive games then go and buy Vista but please stop bitching about it. Bitching about Vista is sooo 2006 ;) .

Well to be honest I did use the <rant> tags. And if you dont like reading rants then ignore stuff inside those tags. Bitching about bitching now that has never been "in". (take it easy) :)

Crysis will NOT be Vista exclusive trust me, it would be financial suicide for EA and Crytek to do so, the installed userbase of vista is laughable at the moment. Its not possible at the moment for Pc only titles like crysis to get enough sales with only the vista userbase.
Even Microasoft has aknowledged that and stopped their Vista only bullshit (the 2 only vista titles shadowrun and halo 2 sold like absolute shit and where also cracked to run under xp) and so the upcoming Gears of War from Epic and Microsoft will not be vista only.

I think the greatest damage to windows that Microsoft done so far is the XBox platform. They really abandoned the ship right there, perhaps in belief they would be able to keep windows as the leading gaming platform while also having a leading console. Now really whats the point in using windows anymore? The games are not there anymore and i do not see any hardware or software that suggests windows over the other platforms.

I think the greatest damage to windows that Microsoft done so far is the XBox platform. They really abandoned the ship right there, perhaps in belief they would be able to keep windows as the leading gaming platform while also having a leading console.

Im pretty sure MS actually WANTS windows players to move on the xbox. That way they can apply MS tax on every game released on xbox. Just look at the prices (i.e BioShock PC 46.90€, BioShock Xbox 360 66.90€ ). Pretty much all xbox games cost more than pc ones. They cant do that with windows games.

PC might cost more than xbox but with almost 50% higher game prices the cost evens pretty fast. Whether Vista fails or not its really a win/win situation for Microsoft while all customer can do is loose aka either play games on buggy OS or pay MS tax on xbox.

Last edited:
About 8 minutes after Crysis hits the shelves, there will be a patch to enable people to play on xp/DX9.0 just like Halo 2.

Except you cant play cracked halo 2 online. Thats just one limitation of course. Even then there is no sure guarantee that there will be a crack. Crysis was designed for Vista from ground up.

About 8 minutes after Crysis hits the shelves, there will be a patch to enable people to play on xp/DX9.0 just like Halo 2.

There won't be a need for a patch. Would you people please stop repeating the retarded rumor that Crysis will be Vista-exclusive? Pretty please? As I said it is B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T! :biggrin:

Here's a snip from the press release that EA sent out when they announced the release date for Crysis...
EA and CRYTEK Announce Release

Aug. 2, 2007

icon_shooter.gif

Redwood City, Calif. – August 2, 2007 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Crytek, award-winning developers of Far Cry, today announced that CrysisTM, will be hitting retail stores in North America and Europe on November 16, 2007 exclusively for the PC. A technical achievement featuring stunning DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 visuals, cunning gameplay, and an epic story, Crysisis recognized as one of the most anticipated PC games and first person shooters of 2007, recently winning Best PC game from the Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2007.

So? Where does it say Vista-exclusive, hm? Come on... lookie, lookie, and then tell me where :) .

lol, oh well I guess that's what I get for believing somebody on the internet. I haven't really followed the development of this game, and read where somebody said it was Vista only, and bought into it. I guess it just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read.

XP 4 life!

Seriously, I got 2 pcs and a laptop that all run fine, and all have xp. I have more older games, in box, than I could realistically ever play, unless I get in some hideous accident or something and am confined to my home 24/7. In that case tho, I'd prolly just be playing MMO's in the long run. Evrything coming out for a long time is going to be xp compatible.

I see no need to theoretically ever upgrade. Like, ever. Excuse my french but fuck them, they can have their Vista BS, I dont want it. Me and XP are purrfectly happy, thank you. "If it aint broke, dont fix it", that's like one of the most common tidbits of simple wisdom a Dad teaches his son.

Of course that isnt possible, theyll find some way to get me. I should just run out now and buy enough spare parts and burn all the drivers on disk I'll ever need.

YOULL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE, SEE!! I GOT MORE BACKUP DISKS HIDDEN THAN YOU COULD EVER FIND, SEE! I GOT A CASE OF SPARE PARTS BURIED OUT IN THE HILLS, SEE!!!

Last edited:
lol, oh well I guess that's what I get for believing somebody on the internet. I haven't really followed the development of this game, and read where somebody said it was Vista only, and bought into it. I guess it just goes to show that you can't believe everything you read.

As I said I only based it on the premise what i read from the extra preorder mail I got yesterday:

Fri, August 17, 2007 11:56 am
PKP.fi - tilauksenne: CRYSIS PC - HUOM. Windows Vista / Direct-x 10 -peli

Arvoisa asiakas,

Tilaamasi Eletronic Artsin huikea uusi räiskintäeeppos Crysis julkaistaan 15.11.

Nyt saaduun tiedon mukaan pelistä ilmestyy ainoastaan Windows Vista, Direct-x 10 versio, joten se ei toimi Windows XP tai Direct-x 9.0c yhteensopivilla koneilla
suoraan.

-------------------------------------
HUOM. CRYSIS VAATII Windows VISTA käyttöjärjestelmän toimiakseen.

Voit halutessasi peruuttaa tilauksen tai vaihtaa tuotteen toiseen vastaamalla tähän
viestiin tai soittamalla 03-7515151.
-------------------------------------

Pidämme tilauksen voimassa ja toimitamme tuotteen, jos et toisin ilmoita.

Ystävällisin terveisin,
- Puolenkuun Pelit verkkokauppa

It basicly says that "according to NOW received information crysis is vista/dx10 game only so it doesnt work on Windows XP tai Direct-x 9.0c machines". As said I didnt believe it myself but ill mail them next week. It just doesnt feel like it could be possible.

The only way I could see it possible is that microsoft has "bought the entire game" and will cover the possible sales loss. They surely have the money but I doubt even they can be that crazy.

Most likely though the gameshop has false information.

Last edited:
MS uses games as simple tools to force gamers to use theor latest systems. Remember some Dungeon Siege Add-Ons ? And there was another game that was running on xp only ... Now that everyone has win xp, no-one does complain.

But back at the time of publishing it, there was still Win98 and Win ME around ...

I expect that this will be the same, ultimatively.

And at one point MS will just forget all this. Like the games that were made to run on xp only.

The problem runs even much, much deeper than people want to recognize : Directx as a whole is a tool "to bind them" onto ANY platform MS wishes to !

Directx was imho NOT invented to make things for programmers and gamers easier, it was simply made as a TOOL to force gamers AWAY from DOS and OS/2 and BeOS !

There is no friendlyness in it, Microsoft is no do-gooder, this is not meant to be a sign of microsoft's good will towards gamers - it is a simple, but increadibly efficient marketing tool that MS uses to bind gamers on the platform MS wants to.

Of course, it's in its vastness a tool only a company with such an increadibly vast amount of ressources could invent - which other company is able to develop an environment, drivers, an SDK and permanently run-times throughout the years ? Not to mention the books, online articles, technet articles, which are spawning usergroups ... All this is a great scheme by Microsoft to bind people to their platforms. Nothing else.

Directx is in my opinion nothing more than a chain to bind gamers to windows, because directx is never made for any other system.

That's why I distrust directx as a whole.

Directx is in my opinion nothing more than a chain to bind gamers to windows, because directx is never made for any other system.

That's why I distrust directx as a whole.

New version of OpenGL is going to be released soon:

The OpenGL ARB officially announced OpenGL 3 on August 8th 2007 at the Siggraph Birds of a Feather (BOF) in San Diego, CA. OpenGL 3 is the official name for what has previously been called OpenGL Longs Peak. OpenGL 3 is a great increase in efficiency in an already excellent API.

It provides a solid, consistent and well thought out basis for the future. OpenGL 3 is a true industry effort with broad support from all vendors in the ARB. The OpenGL 3 specification is on track to be finalized at the next face-to-face meeting of the OpenGL ARB, at the end of August.

This means the specification can be publicly available as soon as the end of September, after the mandatory 30 day Khronos approval period has passed. Also presented today were the changes to the OpenGL Shading Language that will accompany OpenGL 3.

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18446/OpenGL-3-Announced/

Not sure if it will change anything though. Directx has a very tight grip.

When I absolutely have to upgrade my OS to Vista, I'll do it. As sucky as Microsoft is, I have to give them credit for Windows XP; it's evolved into a nice operating system, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom