Neverwinter - Whispering Caverns Trailer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Perfect World and Cryptic released a two-minute trailer showcasing the Whispering Caverns.

Far below the city of Neverwinter are passages leading through the Underdark to the Whispering Caverns, an underground labyrinth of forgotten tunnels. The dark elves have returned here to reclaim their stronghold, evil dwarves work deep mines, and the illithid plot to unleash an ancient evil. Conquering the Whispering Caverns zone will be no easy adventure...http://www.playneverwinter.com
More information.

Neverwinter is D&D in setting and name only. Nothing about the game is very D&D-like. D&D never had PvP. D&D wasn't about soloing. D&D didn't have clerics with pew pew laser-like main abilities or fighters limited to one weapon type.

I grew up playing PnP D&D (starting with the paper-bound original basic rulebooks) and I've played just about every cRPG based on D&D and seriously, Neverwinter doesn't feel much like D&D at all. It takes place in a D&D setting and there's some D&D terms thrown around but the way combat and character development flows has nothing to do with D&D.

It's also F2P, which sucks. First thing I saw logging in to open beta was gold (astral diamond) seller spam. F2P ensures lots of gold sellers, crappy customer service (no money to deal with spammers for ex), and the lowest quality of players (people who don't want to pay for entertainment).

F2P also ensure pay to win, where players get neato stuff by throwing cash at the game instead of by earning it playing the game. In this case, you could pay up to 200 in advance for all kinds of pre-win (kind of odd when mmo people cry about subs yet plenty of suckers paid more than a year worth of sub to be a founder for a lackluster game that won't keep them busy for more than a few weeks or months).

D&D was always about getting a group of friends together to do content and EARN xp and rewards. In MMO terms, that'd be doing group-based PvE and earning xp and rewards. At no point in your D&D existence did you just slip your DM $20 for some phat lewt on the side.

Of course you can group and you can earn loot in Neverwinter, but since any scrub can just go thru the cash shop to get good stuff it kind of cheapens the whole thing.

Character avatars look like crap, the game looks like WoW graphics-wise without bliz' talent for low texture art but with snazzier effects, and the combat is like a weak version of TERA (target assist, have to aim into orbit to miss, very few skills available at one time, very simplistic).

There is nothing at all special about this game. It's mediocrity. It's getting some buzz because it's new, although the game in some ways is like a re-skin of RaiderZ so it's not even that remarkably fresh.

The foundry is an interesting idea but with such limited tilesets and options I don't see player authors making this game that much more interesting.

If you find Neverwinter interesting and haven't played TERA, you should just play TERA instead, because the combat, graphics, character development system, etc are vastly superior in TERA.

Another everything sux post. What a surprise.

Well, he's jaded, and he explains why he's jaded :) Nothing wrong with that.

Myself, I have absolutely no interest in this game. But I do find the mindflayer npc models fabulously goofy and slipshod - the same human model but with a tentacle mask thrown on for good measure.

Now that I give it some thought, I don't think I'll ever be interested in a game designed from the ground-up to be F2P. Nine times out of ten, the content will be shallow, relying on impulse attraction for its selling points rather than longlasting depth and storyboard flow. Oh well. If nothing else, it makes it easy to pick out rubbish in the virtual sea of online games with a simple glance.

I'm a big fan of D&D, play table top D&D and since this is an action mmo, I have zero interest in it. That cant be a good sign.

I cant figure out what the target audience for this is, I don't think table top RPG fans who want tactical strategy in combat will like this...weird

Neverwinter is D&D in setting and name only. Nothing about the game is very D&D-like. D&D never had PvP. D&D wasn't about soloing. D&D didn't have clerics with pew pew laser-like main abilities or fighters limited to one weapon type.
All true. As my first 4E game it all seems very strange and not D&D mechanics. Clerics should only use blunt weapons, damnit. *shakes walkingstick in anger*

Clerics can use swords etc in 3rd edition too if I remember correctly.

Another everything sux post. What a surprise.

Sorry, I've been playing in the Betas and I have to agree with the poster about the game, other than recommending Tera.

I see nothing special. And what he says about it not being D&D is correct.

I'm not as certain as to how much you have to "pay to win", but regardless, NWN is so "theme-park-ish" I doubt I'll play much after release.

I really hate to say this, but the game, at least in terms of character progression, reminds me of Diablo 3.

Waaay too much negativity here these days. Just my opinion though.

Maybe. But regarding NWN, I think it's justified.

I bought the game in advance (no one's fault but my own) and I was very surprised at how non-D&D it is.

Actually, D&D had PvP - and originated from what can only be considered a PvP-focused game.

That said, NWN is not like D&D as I remember it.

But that's not a problem - if you like shallow action-driven combat gameplay in a heavily instanced environment.

Basically, if you enjoy the Diablo formula - then NWN represents an inferior version where all the "butter" (loot/power) is stretched out over months and years instead of days and weeks.

Have at it.

Waaay too much negativity here these days. Just my opinion though.

I think there's way too much whining about constructive criticism that doesn't match the prefences of ToddMcF2002.

Just my opinion though.

Wrapping your incessant pissing in prose is still pissing dart. Just my opinion.

We all have our limits when contributing. Except, of course, ToddMcF2002.

For your convenience - I'll let you have the last word in this little exchange.

I wasn't even referring to you in my initial post Dart. But in the interest of not having yet another thread all about you, I'll leave it at that.

I didn't mean to suggest you were referring to me - but that you seem to have a problem with criticism in general. As if the negative opinions of other people affect you on a personal level. In this case, the OP had many valid points - and I certainly don't think it's fair to almost demand something positive when there are good reasons for the negative.

Guy didn't like the game and he wanted to express why in a pretty detailed manner. I think that's very appropriate. If you want to point out "Negative Nancys" - then there are many better examples in various threads.

I know I promised to give you the last word - but I just thought I'd clarify that point, so you know where I'm coming from.

With that said, I agree we should get back on topic.

Last edited:
I have no real opinion on Neverwinter to be honest. The feedback I've seen elsewhere is generally positive. It seems to me that recently RPGwatch has taken the Codex route of everything is shit but Baldurs and Fallout 1. I don't in fact take it personally nor do I blame the Dart for it all. It's thematic. And that does bother me because I like the watch and hope for balanced commentary.

after watching totalbiscuit's video from 2 months ago i am also disinterested. it seems to be just a group diablo clone, very little to do with the previous two neverwinter rpg's. it is sad that the IP has turned to this, but its also inevitable considering the abomination ultima game that is also coming out.

on a non contrarian note, there is plenty of upcoming hardcore rpg's in the next few years from kickstarters that i really dont care about neverwinter that much. enjoy it for those who like that kind of thing, me personally its over and done with.

D&D didn't have clerics with pew pew laser-like main abilities or fighters limited to one weapon type.

The game is based on 4E D&D and it has both of those things in the main book (well, the fighter thing is arguable). Now I'd agree that 4E D&D doesn't feel like "D&D" if we're talking about any other version of the game... but the classes in Neverwinter really do resemble classes from 4E.

I picked up 4E when it came out because I was curious since I've played/followed D&D since 1st edition AD&D and also the red box basic set. I referred to the build the Neverwinter cleric is based on as the "laser cleric" in discussions with friends. 4E has a very board-gamey feel with very over the top move sets for each class.

I actually like Neverwinter so far, though I find it starts to bore me if I sit at it for too long in a session. The Foundry is a mixed bag, but I've seen at least one guy who's putting up adventures with elements that are reminiscent of a tabletop game.

The stats in the game and their effects on the character are actually dependent on the class in Neverwinter in a way that isn't like 4E, though 4E did have the stat that affected your attack roll depend on what class you were/what move you were using. The ways that they implemented action points, encounter, at will and daily powers from 4E are actually quite good, imo... as far as an adaptation is concerned rather than a 1:1 carry over since the styles of games are obviously quite different. YMMV.

Sorry to interrupt the teeth gnashing, but I like it a lot. And I spent a good part of a summer in grade school selling raffle tickets to earn a first edition boxed set of D&D. So there.

If you do like the game and are looking for a guild, we have a well established one (in other games) at www.guildmedieval.com. 50 members, old and new, so far are playing. We have strict rules and are selective in recruiting. No swearing, cheating, hacking. We're family friendly and put real life first. Some people here just might fit in. If you think you do, please put in an application. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom