The Witcher 2 - New and improved PC version 2.0 announced

If it's performance optimizations, required to get this gorgeous game to run better on the Xbox360, then I'll be very happy, as my current rig struggles to run this well on Med to High settings. I've actually put the game down (after investing 6 or 7 hours) because I'm not pleased with the performance in combat. Granted, I could just go out and upgrade my aging CPU, graphics card, mo-board, memory, etc…… but I can't seem to justify when my machine plays all other current games on High settings.

If your machine plays "all other games" on high then Witcher 2 should not be having issues at medium unless you are suffering a glitch. It's much less performance demanding than even Crysis.

Also you could put it on low.

But why are such large scale changes needed post-release? There should be a mechanism for testing games prior to release that enables devs to carry out improvements pre-release, especially if they're ones that can be made in weeks or months.

It's a bit like the add-in/add-on argument mentioned in another thread - people have played the game now - improvements will improve the experience, but it's a lot of effort for minimal gain if it's only noticeable on a repeat play through. If the effort is on expanding the game in a way you can enjoy after a play through then even better IMHO.

I like to think that they are constantly finding ways to improve their game, but not necessarily that it was released unfinished. I think with any creation you can keep improving and refining but there has to come a point where you say it is good enough to put it out there. That doesn't mean you can't go back and refine it later though.

Also, I think they genuinely learn a lot from releases in terms of what players liked and disliked and that sometimes this surprises them, but they do act on it. I find some of the European developers much more willing to go back and make changes based on player feedback vs certain North American RPG makers who refuse to budge and just make statements that the players didn't get their 'innovation'.

As far as people playing games significantly after release, I feel like a large number of Witcher 1 purchasers did. I know I did. Also, in the era of digital downloads the sales have changed a good bit. Some games will see large spikes in sales years after release if they go on a Steam sale. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is a great example of this and that game is positively ancient.

If Steam puts The Witcher 2 on their winter sale I'm certain it will make a good bit of new sales. Steam will also automatically download any updates for people who already own the game and notify them of it. I know that when Fallout: New Vegas rolled out a new patch a few weeks back I noticed several people on my Steam friends list who hadn't played it for a long time playing it again so I think people do see the updates and decide to give those games another go.

Lastly, there's the issue of the console port and CDProjekt's pledge that any improvements and additions to that will be added to the PC version. They certainly don't have to do that but I think it speaks volumes for them as a company that they are doing it anyway.

But why are such large scale changes needed post-release? There should be a mechanism for testing games prior to release that enables devs to carry out improvements pre-release, especially if they're ones that can be made in weeks or months.

What makes you think these changes were "needed"? ;)

A new 2.0 version means they'll be able to replace the old retail SKU while keeping the price high or even raising it slightly. This increases the sales window until the game hits budget price.

Is it just me or is it really odd that everyone is excited/happy/supportive of this considering we have almost no information. Anytime I see something like this I always hear "Dungeon Lords Collector's Edition" repeating over and over again in my head in a spooky voice...

Is it just me or is it really odd that everyone is excited/happy/supportive of this considering we have almost no information. Anytime I see something like this I always hear "Dungeon Lords Collector's Edition" repeating over and over again in my head in a spooky voice…

It's just you. :p

They released several updates that improved quite a bit in the original game for free and they've already released a few free DLCs for this game. They've said that any improvements made to the XBox version will also be given to the PC version so this is quite possibly a free update as well.

Given the precedents from CDProjekt in the past I see no reason for suspicion. I don't see them releasing this and forcing everyone to rebuy the whole game to get the updates based on past experience.

Why should anybody be worried? CDP did the same thing for the first Witcher. The upgrades were free for everybody who bought the original release.

A new 2.0 version means they'll be able to replace the old retail SKU while keeping the price high or even raising it slightly. This increases the sales window until the game hits budget price.
It could also be a way to get around a publisher who were withholding payment due to legal issues. New version, new distributor, no more money going to N-B.

What makes you think these changes were "needed"? ;)
Read my review. The release game was good, but could have been better.

It could also be a way to get around a publisher who were withholding payment due to legal issues. New version, new distributor, no more money going to N-B.

Good observation.

They had a couple of patches since release. I don't think the game was in any way unfinished. Things can always be improved, but most publishers simply don't bother.

That sounds like it could take a few months. Should I delay my first playthrough?

Definitely not imo. You have to play it twice to see the whole game anyways.
But you know how the first playthrough is usually the most memorable, after having recently replayed the original I wish I would have waited for the Enhanced Edition just for the loading in the Prologue.

But you know how the first playthrough is usually the most memorable, after having recently replayed the original I wish I would have waited for the Enhanced Edition just for the loading in the Prologue.

Honestly, I don't see the upgrade making that much of a difference. Although I guess we won't actually know until it's released.

A few months is not a short amount of time though, and if you play it now, you'll probably be ready for a replay by the time 2.0 is released.

That sounds like it could take a few months. Should I delay my first playthrough?

The game is pretty good as it is. Its the best RPG i have played this year and its in my top 10 RPG of all time.

Like JDR says you will need to play it twice however I also feel that the first play through is the most memorable. So wait for the new version if its going to come out soon. The way I see it is that you have waited this long why not wait a few more weeks?

I have only played the game once even though I know i need to play it again for the "other" path but lack of time and new games coming means that I have not got around to it. :)

Okay so basically in summary:

-Totally free
-Tutorial for people who thought the game was too hard
-Dark Mode for people who thought the game was too easy (but weren't quite insane enough for insane mode)
-Arena mode (all action, fight waves, post your scores on Facebook etc)
-Includes all 9(?!) DLCs

Hmm. Not going to complain about free stuff, but it's not really the kind of thing I was hoping for. I was mostly hoping for expansion type content in the form of new quests or areas. Probably a bit naive, but there it is.

Of the new features, I think the Dark Mode is the only thing that sounds like it would appeal to me, but it will depend on what kind of content it will contain. Sounds like it's mostly about making it more challenging, which isn't really what I feel it needs. A more refined challenge flow would be better.

I haven't even replayed it once yet, so I'll probably take 2.0 as an opportunity to do so, but I'm not overly excited about the prospect.

Hmm. Not going to complain about free stuff, but it's not really the kind of thing I was hoping for. I was mostly hoping for expansion type content in the form of new quests or areas. Probably a bit naive, but there it is.

There's a new 360 trailer out that has scenes that feature King Demavend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QwpjlXvq_Y

Presumably this is some sort of DLC. It should make it to the PC version as part of their 'Everything the 360 version gets the PC version will get' pledge.

I think there is some quest stuff coming too but it seems like they are choosing to highlight the action stuff. I imagine they think that will get the most attention or are more excited about that.

I have to admit as time goes on this series is getting more and more action-y, which I don't love. I hope they keep the story element going and a focus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom