Divine Divinity - Now on Steam

Well that was amusing! :)

Daniel.

Great game! For those that missed it, imagine Ultima7 with Diablo style combat.
I tried the demo but never got the game. But then, I can't seem to have much fun in Diablo games, either.

Loved the video, though! (And the Dragon Knight Saga!)

I tried the demo but never got the game. But then, I can't seem to have much fun in Diablo games, either.

It doesn't have as much in common with Diablo as you might think. Same camera view and similar combat, but that's where the resemblance ends. You should give it a try.

Video was pretty funny… and that girl is cute. :)

Best not to judge this game based on the demo.

You might find this Divine Divinity retrospective review interesting. It was written by a guy who, like you, played a little of DD and "chalked it up as another lame Diablo clone." But he gave it another chance based on forum comments, and says, "I'm so glad I did, and prevented myself from being one of the poor souls who missed out on this great game... If you can manage the real-time combat, I promise you are in for a RPG experience that ranks right up there with the 'big names' in RPG history .”

Loved the video, though! (And the Dragon Knight Saga!)

By Sven Vincke's own admission at least the combat being Diablo-like was not their choice but pushed on them by the publisher at the time (just like the name).

Judging from the trailer it's fully theirs now and no longer with the publisher. I never played it at the time, so I think I'll go for it soon.

I have admit while I did complete the game I got bored of it before the end. Still for this price you can't really go wrong.

Daniel.

I loved seeing it reach the light after all of those years ? months ? of development and discussiong in the forums … And the main forumspeople finally got their own avatars … ;)

I still don't know any game in which you can make honey ... ;)

Played DD many times in years gone by. The slight void in gameplay towards the end game is well known and documented but nothing to cry about.

It was the curiosity of compatibility that prompted me to install my original retail DD english (ver-1.0029a).

On completion was asked to install DirectX (ver-8.1) and o.k'd. Then a graphics test menu appeared (fading colours render test) i selected DX3d but not smoothness, the graphics test confirmed O.K at 69 fps, then saved config and ran the game.

This was on a quad-core rig with normal Gforrce GT450 Graphics 4gb mem. on win-7 (64bit) OS.

All of this took about 12 minutes, the games still runs smooth and sleek and graphically the best i have ever seen DD. I am not sure if GOG apply any tweaks to their DD version.

This probably will not help but might be useful with GOG install compat' comparisons.

It was just the silly 'compatibility' mode ... now it runs smoothly for me too ... but I didn't realize you could change that as easily when running via Steam (the 'div.exe' is in the steamapps folder).

I just had thought the guys would 'preconfigure' the executables they distribute via Steam so that they 'generally' run on modern hardware ... at least that's what would sound logic to me ; - )

"at least that's what would sound logic to me"

indeed, i have always been under the assumption that both Steam or GOG apply tweaks as required.
Anyhow, hope you enjoy the game and see the RPG game-play differences when compared to Diablo. :D

You know, I never understood the complaint about the first dungeon. I don't remember it being very big nor hard... Then again, I had recently finished Pools of Radiance 2: RoMD. ;)

Back
Top Bottom