Setting for an Obsidian crowd-founded game?

What setting should Obsidian use for an original crowd-funded RPG?

• Fantasy

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • Historical

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Modern

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Sci-fi

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • Post-apoc

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Technofantasy

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Western

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Horror

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
My opinion:

I don't care about the setting as long as the game is part of an IP Obsidian owns and can keep*. Just make an RPG inspired by the classics and create it in an environment in which you don't have to ask anybody for permission - especially not some marketing suits.

* This rules out sequels to games they were involved in before, unless they can aquire the IP from its owner or at least get a long term license for many years.

Right. They should imho build up their own thing.

Why is this specifically about an Obsidian crowd-founded game?
Is there a reason why one would want a different setting than one of a non crowd-founded game or of one by another developer?

In any case my choice would be whatever fits their story and supports their ideas best and generally whatever they feel they can develop into something exciting.
I really don't think it's my call. I want them to be creative and impress me.

Anyway I voted cyberpunk because why not…

I don't want it to be modern since AP didn't make good use of that and don't want it to be post-apoc because neither FO2 nor FONV "got" the post-apoc vibe.

Techno-fantasy like star wars, exotic fantasy like PST, or whatever else they figure they'd be good at, ideally they would recycle the "cursed one" motif (pst, kotor2, motb) as their other main stories aren't very good.

I would prefer Sci-fi, steampunk or cyberpunk; with a backdrop of massive societal upheaval… Perhaps something along the lines of a post-industrial dystopia or a Dune-esque RPG…

As long as it isn't one of the first three options(with the possible exception of fantasy if it is completely OTT or original) I'd be happy.

Fantasy is only winning because SciFi fans got split into several sub-genres.

Cyberpunk definitely!

My next choice would perhaps be one of the other less popular genres. A realistic RPG during the Crusades or another historical setting would make a mighty interesting RPG.

At the risk of being accused of flaming, those of you who picked fantasy are boring.

There are dozens of fantasy RPGs out there. You have rendered the RPG genre stagnant and pointless. I can't think of anything duller than another sword and sorcery romp.

Well, because of the available options, I read these results as:

29.35% Fantasy
70.65% Please no not another fantasy game!

Voted before I read (voted Sci-fi)
But a victorian sci-fi!
Jungles of venus and dying kingdoms of mars.

O boy!

C

There's a lot of leeway and overlap for the terms. To me, "sci-fi" creates a different mental image. More of a continued progression of current technology plus the "what if…". When I think "victorian sci-fi", I think more "Steampunk" ( so I voted Steampunk ). The re-purposing of old technology and giving it almost magical properties plus the "what if…".

Technofantasy would be fun, add some history and horror and the game would be extremely exciting plus a good graphics in the game. player's like us will going to pee in our pants for that.

Gamer: Commercial RPG's are too samey! Give me something original!

Obsidian: Ok - we'll leverage Kickstarter to avoid meddling producers and strike out on something that wouldn't have a snowball's chance of going through the usual publishing channels. How does that sound?

Gamer: Yay!

Game company: So what kinds of new, creatively risky things would you like to see? Perhaps something set in the real world that leverages today's animation tech to create vivid characters and dramatic situations? How about a game set in darkest Congo or the blood diamond trade in Africa? Or as a Yakuza in modern Japan? Or how about a historical setting we haven't seen yet - like during the English Civil War? Play as a Roundhead. Or even the American Civil War. Imagine - the sky's the limit!

Gamer: Oh no - just give me fantasy or steampunk. I don't want anything too far beyond my mediocre imagination.

Well, with Dishonoured there's at least a new Steampunk game out there, only that it's not an RPG and done my Arcane Studios ... Still, better than nothing at all ...

Back
Top Bottom