Risen Insert original DVD of Risen Error

Burress

Sentinel
I bought this from GoGamer and it arrived today. It installed no problem, but when I go to boot up the game, it tells me to put the disk in the drive, which is already there. Does anybody else have this problem, or have they heard of any solutions? This makes me really appreciate all the arguments against copy protection.

-to install Tages drivers you need full administrator rights!

-the newest Tages version can be found here: Tages Homepage

-sometimes it helps to re-insert the dvd and starting the game with the dvd-autostart

If you have more than one dvd-drive it could be that Tages works only with the lowest in alphabetical order.

for example:
dvd-drives H: I:
works only with H:

other things you can try:
slow down your drive to 2x or 4x speed (Nero has a tool for this)

If all this don't work your dvd-drive may be incompatible with Tages. I have heard of old Toshiba drives and some LiteOn drives that are incompatible with Tages.

Nikitaman in the WoR-forum said:
Use a direct link to "C:\program files\Deep Silver\Risen\bin\Risen.exe"
to start the game -

and not the created game link in the Windows 7 game folder.

I don't know if this works.

As helpful as HiddenX's list of solutions are, none of the stopped it from happening with me.

I have 3 PCs here. My main PC i can't get it to work ever. My second XP pc will work via some tricky repeated clicking of the Risen icon. My 3rd PC is like my main PC, it won't get past the disc check at all.

That's 3 different PCs, two different operating systems, and 3 different make/models of DVD players.

Sounds to me this is more of a 'bug' to be honest.

If the dvd has problems with several different systems/dvd players then it could be that your dvd contains defects.

Or on all systems is something installed that interferes with the Tages driver.

I seriously doubt it is a hardware problem. They have DRM trying to be police and it is stopping the paying customer, not the hackers. Several hacked copies were up long before Risen hit retail. So, tell me.........exactly what did their DRM measures prevent? So far, all it has prevented is honest paying customers from getting what they paid for HASSLE FREE. This DRM silliness has to be stopped. It is not stopping the hackers, so what is the point of it? It is also like we paying customers are beta testing to many games and security schemes. But that is another grump

how about compiling a list of DRM-free online retailers? the digital retailers like Steam are DRM-free but unfortunately minus the box and packaging..

Horrible, I had to download a no-cd crack to play the game I bought. Well, at least it runs fine now.

how about compiling a list of DRM-free online retailers? the digital retailers like Steam are DRM-free but unfortunately minus the box and packaging..

Are you trying to open a can of worms? "Steam" and "DRM-free" in one sentence?
(Steam is DRM. ;) )

I get that error sometimes when I first try to run the game, then it goes away the second time. Sucks it seems to be haunting you

Same here and I have never had any issues with any other game(s) so I think that this might have to do with the medium, i.e. maybe some of us got a DVD with minor (or major in The Mad Gamer's case) production errors or maybe the latest version of Tages is kinda buggy. Who knows…?
If anyone keeps having issues you can always download the Russian leaked version (of course only if you have bought the game!). It's an MDF image at ~4GB. Mount it with Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120 and never worry about the disk again. No, you don't need a crack. Just the image to emulate the disk. So it's not even illegal, really (as long as you own a legit copy ofc).

They should het rid of the damn DRMs. Sometimes I just don't buy a game I would because of DRM - like anno 1404. I was hyped to buy this game but now - after reading about DRM problems - I have doubts, maybe I should cancel my pre-order? I want to play not to spend several hours with DRM if I'm unlucky.

In Germany you can contact Koch Media support if you have problems with Tages via Email. They say: send a scan of the handbook and the bill of the game with it and we'll help you.

-> I guess they'll send you a Risen.exe with Tages deaktivated or maybe a secret startup parameter.

Interesting link - Problems with Tages an X3:Terran conflict

Toshiba HD-DVD Drives: If you are getting problems with the DVD not being recognised when the disk is in the drive and you have a Toshiba HD-DVD drive (models SD-H802A/SD-L802B/SD-L902A/SD-L912A/TS-L802A) then TAGES support will be unable to help you. These drives have firmware problems that cause them not to function correctly with some commands required by the DVD standard. Unfortunately (perhaps because they are HD-DVD drives) Toshiba appear to have "abandoned" them and no firmware updates are expected that might solve the problem. If you have one of these drives and are getting problems with the disk not being recognised then please PM me (CBJ) and I will provide you with a means to switch to online activation. Please note that these are the only drives known to have compatibility problems, so if you have a different drive then you should contact TAGES support instead. When contacting me about this issue please ensure that your game is registered in your user account and that you have provided a DXDiag report with your request.

Windows 7: The version of the copy protection that comes with the 1.01 DVD version of the game does not work correctly under Windows 7 as the presence of the DVD in the drive is not recognised. TAGES have now released an updated version of their copy protection system which does work with Windows 7. Please note that although this is an official release, has been tested with currently released Beta versions of Windows 7, and is likely to work with subsequent Beta and RC versions, TAGES does not yet officially support Windows 7 and are unlikely to do so until Windows 7 is released as a retail product. As with other copy protection issues, if you have any problems with the copy protection under Windows 7 then please contact TAGES directly.

I was just about to ask if anyone is using a Toshiba DVD drive. ;)

Not me. Sony DVD writer here. Luckily, I've only had the "insert original disk" error once so far.

After watching several Risen related forums for the last 36 hours now, this problem is quite widespread. It needs to be addressed. I still can't play and I had the game since October 1.

I have emailed koch media support and they requested a digital picture or scan of the manual and game disc in exchange for a drm deactivation patch. I sent them these and after one german business day no answer.

Keep us updated and good luck! :)

They emailed me back today with an activation key and a zip file that when unpacked in the game directory turns the installation in to a digital download. So problem solved legitimately now. :)

Back
Top Bottom