NWN - Premium Modules Removed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Sorcerer's Place writes they noticed the NWN Premium Modules (such as Shadowguard and Kingmaker) are no longer available from BioWare - even the web pages have been removed. Inquiring further, they discovered they were suddenly advised by Atari to remove them at the end of August for "legal reasons":
A few days ago I somewhat accidentally noticed that all of their pages on BioWare's website, as well as their web store, have been removed. I inquired about this over at BioWare and learned that the premium modules were removed from BioWare's website at Atari's instruction. What's more, BioWare can no longer sell them nor advertise them.

Through further inquiries we've learned that this has happened at the end of August and that BioWare had almost no notice from Atari and had to remove the premium modules within a day for "legal reasons".
Purchased modules will still work but they can't be bought any more. Head over for the original full story.
More information.

I'm happy and glad :) that I have bought the NWN Gold edition (or Diamond?) in which most of these modules are; I also bought 2-3 others i.e. the rest of them that we're available at the Bioware store. The only ones I'm missing is Wyvern - Crown of Cormyr. Sadly, I can't get that anymore :( - unless Atari decides to put an Ultimate Edition for NWN1 - with all the Premium Content content in it.

And why didn't Atari give Bioware fair notice i.e. longer than a day to remove the Premium content? So that Bioware at least could have told its fans that they were removing the Premium Content. I would have gotten Wywern - crow of Cormyr then? (and a few others I'm missing as well)

And I thought Bioware had joined EA to hinder something like this? or even fight this?

Furthermore, this make no sense to me. These Premium Modules have been available from Bioware for at least 7 years? (or more?); why would Atari suddenly tell Bioware to remove them within 'a day' for 'legal reasons'.

Aren't the Premium Modules the property, intellectual or not, of the modders that made them, not Atari? (I'm no lawyer, so I'm just asking?)

I'm happy and glad :) that I have bought the NWN Gold edition (or Diamond?) in which most of these modules are; I also bought 2-3 others i.e. the rest of them that we're available at the Bioware store. The only ones I'm missing is Wyvern - Crown of Cormyr. Sadly, I can't get that anymore :( - unless Atari decides to put an Ultimate Edition for NWN1 - with all the Premium Content content in it.

I'd be willing to bet that, with a little bit of effort, you could find those modules floating around on the web somewhere.

Furthermore, this make no sense to me.
My guess is Bioware no longer has a contract with Atari and the D&D license, instead are now direct competition with DA.

My guess is Bioware no longer has a contract with Atari and the D&D license, instead are now direct competition with DA.

That's probably the way it is, but these are games. Normal rules of business differ a bit. For example: I would believe that a person who buys Dragon Age is just as likely to buy a game from Atari made with the D&D license. So there isn't really any direct competition unless they release the games at the same time.

More than likely Atari is just pissed that they didn't get on the Dragon Age roller coaster ;)

I agree with what has been sad so far; also about the whole Atari thing. And if Atari and Bioware no longer have a contract, wouldn't it be fair (of Atari) to at least say so months before, not just one day...?

By the same reasoning, Bioware should no longer be able (allowed?9 to host forums for NWN1 and NWN2. Just saying...

I do think, though, Atari is well aware of the fact that people who might buy DA: Origins also will buy these modules and NWN1.

And that's why I'm guessing that Atari has plans to release some sort of Ultimate Edition for NWM1, maybe profiting from Bioware's good name.

There's no logical reason to concoct a false story about Atari giving them almost no time, and since it sounds plausible that's probably exactly the way it is.

You don't spread stories like that as a company, because there are potential repercussions for lying about competitors.

At least, that's what it seems like to me.

I still hope that Atari will release them translated one day in different languages.

My hopes are very, very small. though. :(

That company has always acted like a second rate company since they bought the name of atari.

I fear they did that even before they bought that name.

There is no secret of the lack of love between Bioware and Atari. This has been going on (publicly) ever since Infogrames (aka Atari) first launched Neverwinter Nights and Bioware openly complained about SecuROM.

Behind the scenes there was a ton of issues with WotC, Atari and Bioware over the approval process of the patches and later the Premium Mods.

WotC wouldn't approve Hex Coda for example because "it wasn't Forgotten Realms" Its probably the best mod ever made for NWN. But as nearly as I could tell this was the only Premium Mod they didn't approve of wholesale.

At first Atari had virtually nothing to do with them and Bio developed their own DRM and DLC system. Suddenly Atari started selling Diamond editions etc.

It was Atari who outright canceled the last few Premium Mods for NWN1 nearing the launch of NWN2 leading to a huge backlash. After some negotiations Wyverns Crown of Cormyr was approved but both the Dragonlance Adventures Team and Bioware decided to longer make premium modules for NWN2. They had plans for three I believe.

Representatives from Obsidian stated vaguely that there was a lot more to stopping the Premium Mods than was announced. This is somewhat believable due to the way some of the DLA team members behaved publicly, including taking over a NWN2 open chat to complain before the launch of the game.

Considering that Atari had virtually nothing to do with these on one had its a surprise.

OTOH, considering the history of friction, the behaviours of the companies involved, the financial trouble Atari has been in and possible resentment that Bioware refused to develop anything else for them, Bio now developomg a competing IP, and Bio is now solely owned by their largest competitor, its no surprise at all.

Is this a complete list of modules affected?

Kingmaker
Shadowguard
Witch's Wake
Pirates of the Sword Coast
Wyvern Crown of Cormyr

I have the first three from Diamond but never did buy the last two. I wish there'd been some warning.

Edit: Thanks for the rundown LD. And the heads up on Hex Coda.

Also, Infinite Dungeons.

Most of these can be found on the internet.

Also, you can still get the Shadowguard / Kingmaker / Witch's Wake retail box.

People in this thread seem to be referring to Atari as a singular. Through most recent years it hasn't been, and I suspect that this recent action is a result of how the complex entity known as Atari has resolved itself.

That's probably the way it is, but these are games. Normal rules of business differ a bit. For example: I would believe that a person who buys Dragon Age is just as likely to buy a game from Atari made with the D&D license. So there isn't really any direct competition unless they release the games at the same time.

More than likely Atari is just pissed that they didn't get on the Dragon Age roller coaster ;)

you do have a point, but consider this as well: since Atari has the D&D license, doesn't that mean they are open to make the next Baldurs Gate? If so, then I can't imagine them being too pissed about not being associated with Dragon Age. I myslef dont know what the deal is, but it sure is interesting. Does anyone know if Bioware holds an exclusive license to any future game with the Baldurs Gate name on it? they probably don't since its part of D&D lore, right? My feeling is that if Atari wants to stir the RPG pot, all they have to do is develop the next Baldurs Gate - it certainly will get peoples attention. Something to think about...

Maybe Atari/Infogrames just want to sell the(ir) stuff on/of their own ? To increase profits ? I mean - own modules ?

Back
Top Bottom