Fallout: New Vegas - Interview @ Shacknews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Shacknews has the first interview on Fallout: New Vegas, with Pete Hines saying they "tried very hard not to put much in the way of parameters on them":
Shack: What has Bethesda's attitude been in terms of allowing Obsidian freedom to create their own Fallout game?
Pete Hines: I think we tried very hard not to put much in the way of parameters on them. To let them kind of come up with the idea. So we didn't go to them and say, we want a game that is set here, and--we didn't do that. We said, "What would you do with it? If we were going to do this, what would you guys like to do?"
Shack: So you asked them for a pitch, as opposed to pitching them a project.
Pete Hines: Correct, correct. And honestly, generally speaking, that's how it works best, which is: you've gotta have people who are really vested in the idea that it's their creation. "This is what makes us excited. If we could do this, this is what we would want to do."
You may help them mold or frame that, but if that's what they're excited about, then that's what you should do. As opposed to, I come up with something that would be cool, and you go to them and they go, "Oh, okay. Well, sure." You're just not necessarily going to get the same passion or excitement from the team. And those are the guys who need to be the most excited about it, because that's what they're going to go into the office and be creative on and make for the foreseeable future.
But it was good. I think we were all on the same page in terms of the kinds of things that we wanted to do, and what it could be. And yeah, so now I want to play it.
According to Blue's, the game will use the Fallout 3 engine but there doesn't seem to be a source for this and commenters say this was not mentioned at the original press event, so take this with a grain of salt at this early stage.

More information.

According to Blue's, the game will use the Fallout 3 engine but there doesn't seem to be a source for this...

Hmm? Blue's source is MCV and the article at MCV clearly states...
It will, however, be based on the Fallout 3 engine, and no doubt be very familiar to those accustomed to the recent post-nuclear outing.

So the question is or should be rather what's MCV's source? :)

Even if it uses the Fallout 3 engine it doesn't mean it is going to be like Fallout 3 since the technologies it is based on are in many games that are nothing like Fallout 3.

Even if it uses the Fallout 3 engine it doesn't mean it is going to be like Fallout 3 since the technologies it is based on are in many games that are nothing like Fallout 3.

What games?

Everything you can imagine. Google "Gamebryo".

Civilization 4 used the Gamebryo engine and you should know how much different that game is then Fallout 3. That means this game could turn out any way you can think of and we will just need to wait till there is more information before we know anything.

No kidding,

I just did a wiki of it and it has every genre. I did not know this, thanks guys for the info. Hell they even have the TB Civilization 4 on that list. I don't think that Fallout NV could be TB, but still I never would of thought the same engine that made F3 could be turned into TB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

Last edited:
The Obsidian "sequels" I have seen so far have generally been similar to the previous games, but often with a pretty advanced story. I doubt we are going to see a change in gameplay, but probably grittier dialogue.

What I wonder is if Obsidian will be capable of creating a good free-roaming experience. Feargus was the designer of Fallout 2 and Storm of Zehir is free-roaming, but F3 would probably need some rethinking if it's going to be a good free-roaming game.

I will be happy with grittier dialogue or better yet, a plot that doesn't sound like something a two year old made. (I still can't get over what they did to my favorite ghoul) Anyways the gameplay, imo, was never really a big problem. Sure there were parts that sucked like getting to level 20 in 10 seconds or faster, but there are enough mods out there to undo what Beth got wrong. It was the plot and dialogue that sucked. Please, improve that and I'll be a happy camper. I'll even buy those freaking DLC's again :)

I just want a mod to remove the level cap!!

Ask and you shall recieve:
http://www.fileradar.net/files/view/Fallout-3_Fallout-3---Fileplanet-Addon-Pack-v1.0/5010

I wouldn't recomend that though. I never touched it. The best and only way I play Fallout 3 now is with XFO's overhaul mod. It slows down the leveling scheme a ton and makes the game actually fun.
XFO:
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=334

Readme:
http://home.comcast.net/~xodarap777/XFO/XFO_Readme_Current.html

It can be mixed with other huge mods like FOOK or MARTS. It's a pain to install all of them together, but worth it in the end.

All you really need is XFO's. I'll never play F3 without that mod again.

These guys don't understand they've already lost. Obsidian is the generally accepted optimal choice for the Fallout franchise.

Som "true" fans have allready turned this into yet another "fallout rape" by Pete Hines:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=31852 (warning disturbing images)

I guess som people can never be happy. They just know hate.

I just got done reading that thread and all I have to say is *Picard Face Palm* That seems to be a popular image over there ;)

Although, to do something I rarely do and defend the codex. Pete isn't exactly someone that is well liked there. So anything Beth does won't be good enough.

Edit: I should of added Pete isn't well liked there *for a good reason* That was BS what happened after the F3 review.

These guys don't understand they've already lost. Obsidian is the generally accepted optimal choice for the Fallout franchise.
Of the current devs, I agree.
(Oh, and a lot of people over there think that as well.)

Of the current devs, I agree.
(Oh, and a lot of people over there think that as well.)

Who? and where are they hiding? There were only a few that thought this a good thing and they were getting ridiculed by the others. Especially Matt7895. Damn, the man said one positive thing to the Obsidian dev and he gets jumped on.

Oh, maybe I should have said "some"? I think there is some noise created by the most vociferous of the nay sayers.

Too true and good luck with the endless Fallout threads that are bound to pop up:D

Actually Codex have a point. And even though I really am content that Obsidian got this chance its true that their previous games wasnt anything exceptional.

Of course Kotor 2 had a really big potential and even without all the cut content I really liked the game it must be said that I was furious with the end game. It was a puzzle that one had to assemble by himself, and it wasnt easy, cause many things were without a sense without missing scenes. And I believe everyone can agree that the balance in the game was non-existent.

NWN2 is a mixed bag. We have great MotB and we have medicore SoZ and a really booooring one, the main campaign. I wont discuss MotB because the majority (you write about haters residing in Codex, but do notice that almost everyone there wont say a bad word about first expansion to NWN2. Its all about quality) liked it. SoZ could have been a pretty good one, but it was crippled by the engine on which NWN2 relies. Its no fun to wait a minute to allow things to load and then after 10 minutes of venturing in the area you are sentenced to another minute of waiting, because you've seen everyting to be seen in that area. Writing also wasnt very good and combat overall in NWN2 is no fun - and plainly speaking SoZ relied on many combat encounters. In no way does it compare to fun I had with combats in BG1/2, IWD1/2. As for main campaign dont let me start on it. Clishe characters (smart, cunny little Neeshka, serious elf druid-whatever her name was, bold and quick to a fight dwarf - give me a break...how does it compare to MotB or Kotor 2? It doesnt), another save the world story, little areas to explore, scarce number of interesting side quests... I may understand that newcomers to the genre can get to like the game with its flaws, but I am bit of suprised that people who had an opportunity to play real gems in genre can say with a straight face that main campaign of NWN2 is anything more than boring, medicore story that Mr. Paolini could have come up with. And like I said earlier gameplay doesnt outweight it.

And now we have an announcement like this and you are suprised that Codex is suspecious, when at its core its a site for maniacs who cheerish the love for studios long gone and standards long abondoned?

I admit that there are many trolls there, but they are not without a reason to doubt Obsidian.

Back
Top Bottom