Shadowrun Returns - Dragonfall Expansion

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Harebrained Schemes announces in the latest post-funding update that the Berlin DLC is now a full expansion, and has been renamed Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Dragonfall

Tomorrow, we will announce the title of the new Berlin expansion, Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Along with all the details, we’ll also be unveiling the game’s logo and a cool new illustration to go with it. As our Backers, we wanted to share this with you before the rest of the world gets it.

Here’s the official scoop:
BERLIN. The Flux-State: a stable anarchy enforced by an ever-shifting coalition of megacorps, political factions, and savvy power players. A place where almost anything goes and the right connections can be the difference between success and starvation. Dangerous jobs abound and there’s no better place to earn a quick payday - provided you live long enough to spend it. For you and your team of battle-scarred runners, it’s just another day in the Free City of Berlin.

But a new threat is rising, one that could mean untold chaos and devastation. The only clue: whispers of the DRAGONFALL, a long-forgotten event from the earliest days of the Awakened world. As you find yourself drawn into a maze of veiled dangers and strange machinations, you will come face-to-face with a grim spectre of the past… and alter the course of Berlin’s future.

SHADOWRUN: DRAGONFALL FEATURES

• Experience a New Full-Length Campaign: Return to the “Tech meets Magic” future of Shadowrun as you and your team of runners get drawn into a treacherous conspiracy. Operating out of an offbeat central hub neighborhood, you’ll choose which missions to accept and how you’ll approach them while navigating the dark underbelly of “the Flux”.

• An Exciting New Locale: Shadowrun: Dragonfall transports runners to the Free City of Berlin, a thrilling Shadowrun setting full of gorgeous new hi-res environments, a diverse new cast of characters, and a new soundtrack by the composer of the original Sega Genesis Shadowrun game, Sam Powell.

• Command Your Team: Lead a small team of shadowrunners, each with their own outlook and backstory. Each member of your team is designed to play an interesting role during missions and has a unique set of skills, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.

• New Weapons, Cyberware, Enemies & More: Try your hand at the long-range sniper rifle, devastating grenade launcher, or stun-inducing taser. Chrome yourself out in the latest cyberware and take on deadly new enemies - including new magical creatures like gargoyles and fire drakes. Dragonfall brings a host of new items, characters, portraits, and improvements to the Shadowrun Returns experience.

• Save Anywhere: You can save your progress at any time during the game. This functionality will also be added to the original Shadowrun Returns “Dead Man’s Switch” campaign.

• New Game Editor Features: A wide range of enhancements to the game editor for community content creators - including a scripting system to better control lighting, tracking mission objectives in the main game UI, placing exploding barrels, and allowing players to input keypad passwords and custom text strings in conversations. In addition, content creators will be able to use all of the new Berlin environment art, items and characters in their own stories along with assets from the original Shadowrun Returns campaign.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall will be released January 2014 for Windows, OSX, and Linux and will be free to Backers. You’ll get the same number of Steam keys you received for the original game via our Backer website and details about how you’ll get your DRM-free version will come in a future update. Dragonfall will launch at $14.99 and we’ll also release the Shadowrun Campaign Pack on the same day. The campaign pack contains the original game and the Dragonfall expansion in one package for only $24.99. We think it’s a great way to get new players into Shadowrun.

And finally, here’s a new wallpaper for y’all. We can’t wait to show you more Dragonfall over the next two months!
More information.

Oh, now it's an actual expansion?

Haha, forgive me for being sceptical :)

When "save anywhere" is the biggest new feature of an expansion that was supposed to be a story campaign released within a similar timeframe - caution is advised.

When "save anywhere" is the biggest new feature of an expansion that was supposed to be a story campaign released within a similar timeframe - caution is advised.

It was always an expansion. Not sure if you have been keeping up.

It was always an expansion. Not sure if you have been keeping up.

Harebrained Schemes announces in the latest post-funding update that the Berlin DLC is now a full expansion, and has been renamed Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

1 - It's listed with 'new features' as they listened to the tremendous amount of whining from a minority of players about the game's save feature and they spent a good deal of effort to fix what was the flagship of 'complaints'.
2 - Calling it the "biggest new feature" is either (benefit of the doubt) personal opinion due to being uninterested in a new story, new location, new game editor features, and running a team full of characters with backstories and personalities OR (cynical) just wanted to dump on the game and any news related to it.

DArt does stuff like that, makes him feel smart I guess....

I'm not certain what the problem is.

Backers get it free as promised and everyone else can buy it or not, their choice.

Not sure what's to be skeptical about.

Sounds good to me. I'll probably give it a go once they have it patched.

I am also glad I am waiting on this one. I reckon give it about a year, there is so much other stuff out there at the moment that it makes the decision easy.

Since the original was basically an engine with a very small campaign that lasted a handful of hours, I will be waiting for a gog or steam sale to purchase Berlin. I feel I've already paid enough for the game and don't need another $14.99 for a 5 hour campaign. I'll wait for lots of word of mouth to see if this is MUCH meatier than the lame dead man switch module.

Is there any information about the scope of the new campaign?

1 - It's listed with 'new features' as they listened to the tremendous amount of whining from a minority of players about the game's save feature and they spent a good deal of effort to fix what was the flagship of 'complaints'.
2 - Calling it the "biggest new feature" is either (benefit of the doubt) personal opinion due to being uninterested in a new story, new location, new game editor features, and running a team full of characters with backstories and personalities OR (cynical) just wanted to dump on the game and any news related to it.

I meant biggest feature to justify calling it an expansion rather than DLC as they originally intended.

New location and characters does nothing to justify calling it an expansion, as that was always expected for the DLC.

New editor features? Wow, exciting for an expansion ;)

Anyway, I wasn't impressed with Shadowrun and I remain sceptical that they've added enough significant content to call this anything but DLC.

If you think I'm dumping on the game because I'm not impressed and because I'm sceptical - be my guest.

I'm not certain what the problem is.

Backers get it free as promised and everyone else can buy it or not, their choice.

Not sure what's to be skeptical about.

There's no problem if you think there's enough there to justify calling it an expansion rather than a DLC campaign as they originally intended and charging 15$ for it.

My scepticism is related to me not being gullible.

You know I am a backer and get this for free, but I can't help but feel that this "Save Anywhere", should actually be a free patch to the original game, and not part of a paid wall.

I think you missed this part:
This functionality will also be added to the original Shadowrun Returns “Dead Man’s Switch” campaign

Im pretty sure that means the original will be updated, whether you get the expansion or not.

I think you missed this part:
This functionality will also be added to the original Shadowrun Returns “Dead Man’s Switch” campaign

Im pretty sure that means the original will be updated, whether you get the expansion or not.

Yea missed that. That's great actually. :)

I'm really looking forward to this expansion. Main game could be linear, but story telling and writing was top-notch like Ps:T, also tactical combat was decent enough.

"DLC" is downloadable content, both in literal name and in spirit, and has nothing whatsoever to do with size. Similarly, an expansion doesn't guarantee any particular amount of content either. Comparing the two terms and drawing conclusions from it is pointless nit-picking.

I, for one, am happy (on paper) with what they plan for Berlin. I was disappointed with Dead Man's Switch on several levels, but this might go some way to providing some of the things I had hoped for from the initial release. I've also already bought it, being a backer, so I don't have to make a purchasing decision on it.

"DLC" is downloadable content, both in literal name and in spirit, and has nothing whatsoever to do with size. Similarly, an expansion doesn't guarantee any particular amount of content either. Comparing the two terms and drawing conclusions from it is pointless nit-picking.

Then explain why they're calling it a full blown expansion instead of DLC as they originally did.

If there's no indication of size or content - then why? Explain it, please.

Back
Top Bottom