Rampant Games - Making Epic 3D Dungeons #2

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jay has kicked up a second piece on making 3D dungeons, with quite a few Frayed Knights references for fans following that:
Cue Theme Music: Dungeons should have one or more “signature” locations that have a major, specific theme or feature or something stand out more than most. Something that really calls attention to it. These locations should either be at central nodes, or significant end-nodes. These help define the dungeon (“it’s the one with the…<feature name> room”), anchor it in the player’s mind, helps the player navigate the level, and provides strong visual rewards for exploration. For examples in the Frayed Knights pilot, there was the meditation chamber (with the toilet-shaped fountain), the torture / prison room, and the altar room with the statue of the fat, happy version of Pokmor Xang.
More information.

Fans Jay, lots of us are waiting for this game!! :)

Why either at central nodes or significant end-nodes? I think that's kind of a cliche.

@Malk - Almost by definition - something that stands out like that is going to be more of a destination. I also wouldn't want to put that much effort into something that players would only encounter in passing. But I could see a case for making a really elaborate, interesting hallway. In a sense, the first room in the Temple of Pokmor Xang was like that.

Awesome. Well, this game is for you two then. I hope I don't disappoint.

Since Oblivion I vowed to never be a fan of an unreleased game again, but I am happy to cheer you on from the sidelines nonetheless ;)

@Malk - Almost by definition - something that stands out like that is going to be more of a destination.
I see your point. Btw, it would be great if one or two secret areas were designed with this much care.

Since Oblivion I vowed to never be a fan of an unreleased game again, but I am happy to cheer you on from the sidelines nonetheless ;)

Heh, I´m a fan of this game ever since I´ve played the demo and various RC´s musings only reinforce it. The light hearted tone combined with wizardryesque gameplay and carefully thought out level design constitutes quite a win for me.
Invoke Window is a must spell though :).

Invoke Window?

I do have "Power Word: Defenestrate," which summons a giant window (before shoving an enemy through it), but that's the only thing that does anything with windows so far…

Invoke Window?

I do have "Power Word: Defenestrate," which summons a giant window (before shoving an enemy through it),

Ah ha! I knew about PW: Defenestrate, but for some reason I didn´t realize summon window is a part of the spell, and thus thought the need to invoke window in a windowless environment for Defenestrate to work would be quite funny kind of spell synergy.
Since the spell version in place is all-encompassing, forget Invoke Window then :).

but that's the only thing that does anything with windows so far…

Blue Screen of Death would be probably pushing it...

Hahaha, don't know about that; would be a great name for a spell and I'm sure Jay could use it in someway!! :)

Back
Top Bottom