Alpha Protocol - Gone Gold - Michael Thornton Vignette Trailer

aries100

SasqWatch
Gamebanshee brings word that Alpha Protocol has gone gold and thus will be released in Europe on May 28th and in North America (US/CAN) on June 1st 2010. Here's the full press release:
Sega is very pleased to announce today that Obsidian's espionage RPG "Alpha Protocol" has gone gold and is headed off to manufacturing. Alpha Protocol is scheduled for release on June 1 in North America and in Europe on May 28 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Alpha Protocol unites role-playing, stealth, and action gameplay into a single experience that captures what it feels like to operate as a modern day spy. With production values on par with a blockbuster action movie, the consequences of the player's actions in the high stakes underworld of arms dealing can be explosive. Perhaps unleashing on suspected terrorists with the Pentagon's latest weaponry is the best move... or maybe just stay in the shadows and stay cryptic in your interactions. There isn't a single correct approach.

Alpha Protocol ups the stakes in the RPG genre with the integration of the innovative Dynamic Stance System (DSS), dialogue tech that allows the player to pick a ‘stance’ instead of a direct answer. Players need to think on their feet, because in Alpha Protocol a key weapon IS choice – and every decision not only shapes your relationships with in-game characters, but it changes the entire world around you.
To celebrate this golden moment, they have also released a Michael Thornton vignette trailer which you can view at Youtube.
More information.

Last edited:
Hey, we (europeans) get a game before the US? What's going on?

As Turok stated, I hope it's good so that Obsidian can keep cranking out games. They are like Obi-Wan Kenobi, our only hope. ;)

buying this one the second it is available on Steam/Impulse.

Please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good, please let this be good!

Uhm, no it isn't.
It is very much an action rpg, but I don't think you could really call it a shooter, assuming you know at least a bit about the game mechanics.

Quote on Blue's

"The RPG aspect of it looks fantastic, and I love the whole "five second dialogue tree" idea. Looks like they also put a lot of work into equipment/toys/guns etc. Good voice acting, in the few movies that I've seen.

It just seems they forgot to actually focus some of their attention on the GAME part as well. The combat is a bad version of Mass Effect 1, and I'm sorry, but since when do spies just run in with guns blazing, taking out everything and everyone in their path?

Latest issue of PC Gamer says, and I quote "But to be blunt like Jack Bauer: in combat, you fight one enemy throughout the entire game. Excluding bosses, each stage of the game features the same moderately-armed, patrolling guards, although they are reskinned to look like Russian Gangsters, CIA g-men, or ex-military mercs, depending on the locale. They're faceless, voiceless enemies that feel like they were cast from the nearest Steven Seagal movie Obsidian had on the shelf. They're entertaining to fight against—blablabla—but there's no incentive to apply different tactics once you've met them."

That sounds very... promising...

Final paragraph : "Watered down action or not, I'm thrilled someone is making Alpha Protocol. A Bond movie with a few tedious action sequences is still a Bond movie."

Written by Evan Lahti, who doesn't know his own ass from his elbow, so take it for what it's worth. In my opinion, a GAME that plays like a "Bond movie with a few tedious action sequences" is simply a bad GAME. We'll see how it turns out, but it'd be pretty much consistent with Obsidian's MO. Great ideas, very flawed execution.

Creston"

This was in a post on Blue's, sounds a bit like Deus Ex the more I read/see about it. This could be a good thing, but if it becomes a combat driven game and the action is poorly executed, gah

Hey, we (europeans) get a game before the US? What's going on?
That's not all... June 1st is the height of the summer gaming drought. You might get some game releases in March or even April but May - July is no-mans land. Even August is unlikely. All you are supposed to get in the summer are expansion packs, some wide appeal games (like Sims 3), and shovelware trying to milk summer movies for all they can get. Yet here is a AAA game complete with hype!?!?

It just seems they forgot to actually focus some of their attention on the GAME part as well. The combat is a bad version of Mass Effect 1, and I'm sorry, but since when do spies just run in with guns blazing, taking out everything and everyone in their path?

I'm not sure what the random quotes proves - it even says the guys "doesn't know his ass from his elbow".

Anyway, in answer to the question, when the player makes that choice in an RPG. If you don't want to go in guns blazing, then don't. Time will tell how successful they've been but they've always promoted different approaches and solutions. Use stealth, or tech gizmos or talk your way through.

I hope it will get good reviews, i need more games from obsidian :D
Good reviews are nice but that doesn't pay the developers. I want them to get same major sales numbers going so they can make more games.

Hype machine seems a little bit off to me for this game probably because it was building for a release last year that didn't happen and lost steam.

Hype machine seems a little bit off to me for this game probably because it was building for a release last year that didn't happen and lost steam.

Same here, I just don't find myself very interested in AP anymore. I'll wait to see what other members here say about it before I consider a purchase.

Buying on day 1 because it's such an interesting concept I just can't pass it up.

Same here, I just don't find myself very interested in AP anymore. I'll wait to see what other members here say about it before I consider a purchase.

same here. To me it sounds just like ME2 which, to me, it's just a shooter in which you stop once in a while to choose a dialogue option.

same here. To me it sounds just like ME2 which, to me, it's just a shooter in which you stop once in a while to choose a dialogue option.

Except I don't believe in Mass Effect 2 you could take a stealthy approch to missions, you didn't have to avoid security cameras, there weren't missions made entirely of dialogues etc...
You don't like the action-y approach to role playing games? Can perfectly understand that.
But to call it a shooter, from what we've already seen, seems a bit of a stretch to me.

I was rather indifferent about this game but now I'm suddenly looking forward to it…
It's probably because for some reason I want Obsidian to finally make something complete and solid without being in someone else's shadow.
Also it's because I've been playing Mata Hari which got me in the mood for some espionage but was not very good :(

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the random quotes proves - it even says the guys "doesn't know his ass from his elbow".

Anyway, in answer to the question, when the player makes that choice in an RPG. If you don't want to go in guns blazing, then don't. Time will tell how successful they've been but they've always promoted different approaches and solutions. Use stealth, or tech gizmos or talk your way through.

Whether the reviewer/previewer knows his ass from his elbow is an opinion I can't really verify. I can verify he has played the game, made a preview and mentioned that the action was redundant. Still looking forward to this game, but I can see how aside from the conversational choices and the potential branching that exists, it could end up being a sub par action game that gets you from conversation a to conversation b.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Whether the reviewer/previewer knows his ass from his elbow is an opinion I can't really verify. I can verify he has played the game, made a preview and mentioned that the action was redundant.

That doesn't mean much though since we're talking about an RPG.
I found the action in Bloodlines often redundant and not too enjoyable either. That didn't make me want to stop playing for a second though.

Honestly Mass Effect (1) was the only RPG that came the closest in making want to keep playing because I enjoyed the combat. Speaking for myself, I find that aspect at best adequate in any action RPG I've played, but I keep playing them instead of pure action games, so there are obviously other merits in them that are far more important.

Back
Top Bottom