Legend of Grimrock - Preview @ GameSpy

aries100

SasqWatch
Gamespy has a preview for this goodlooking indie-game. As usual, a quote:
Despite the appearance of turn-based exploration, the game's action played out in real-time causing the combat to have a very urgent feel to it. Though a drastic change of pace from the classic dungeon crawlers of old, this injected a sense of danger into the mix that was a welcome update on the formula. There was no time for deep thought or complex strategizing when monster's were near, and I had to remain poised to strike at a moment's notice. This produced some harrowing encounters when gaggles of giant carnivorous snails, undead armored spearmen, and other unsavory creatures showed up for dinner.
More information.

On my list as well, altough I prefered a turn based combat... Oh well, I don't care so much, I just want some REAL dungeon crawling! :p

This game appears, to me at least, to be a modernized Dungeon Master, which itself did not have turn-based combat. Not that I don't prefer turn-based, but it's not like they are betraying the tradition of old-school dungeon crawlers by having real-time combat.

"Good looking" is a huge understatement. Grimrock looks fantastic, and the animations are the best I've ever seen in an indie title. It remains to be seen if it plays as good as it looks, but I'm optimistic about this game.

Between Grimrock and Dead State, this is the first year I've ever really been excited about indie games.

Back
Top Bottom