Brian Fargo - We No Longer Answer To The Walmart Buyer

Craig, is it me or you're pursuing some "I'm different from everyone/I'm always right" chase?
Chill, man. Ppl have different tastes. Instead of spitting on it, try to understand it. And believe me when I say this, noone in this community, RPGwatch community, is easily amused. If we were, we wouldn't be here.

Joxer, you're the one who decided to get aggressively obnoxious with me. Now you tell me to chill out? I'm the evil wizard and you're the paladin? You're the jedi and I'm dark lord Craig? You chose the paragon dialog option and I'm the renegade smartass?

Every comment you make you confirms, at least for me, that you aren't very self-aware. That's going to bite you in the ass, someday. You're going to crash and burn big time and you won't even understand what happened.

What score do you think you'd get for that in a dork humor contest, Drithius? Calling people trolls on a game forum just because you don't agree their opinions is beyond cliche, wouldn't you agree? And your bastardization of an old joke (and a cliche one at that) didn't even make any sense. Nor was it funny. You get +10 on the abuse meter and +100 (max) on the group-think meter from me, but you get -100(max) for being dull and unoriginal and another -100(max) for being passive-aggressive. In case you suck at math, which most anti-social computer geeks do, surprisingly, that's a -90 for you, which is pretty bad. One of the lowest review scores I've ever given on a computer gaming forum. With as many posts as you have, it's unlikely you'll ever get better so I can't in good conscience tell you that you should L2P. Uninstall.

Well I'm a gamer first of all, and don't really care about casual or hardcore labels. I have been enjoying games for over 20 years.

Frankly label's mean nothing to me lately. To me the only things that matter at the end of any game is was it fun, and was it enjoyable. I don't pine for the good ole days I just play games.

Now that being said keep it civil on these topics.;)

I suppose this is an appropriate thread to post this, given the topic and given that you've given me one strike for… something or other.

I realize 20 years seems like a really long time, and I agree that enjoying games is the only valid reason for playing them. However, 20 years ago was about when I had my first run in with a biased game forum moderator. It was on the Compuserve RPG forums. I was criticizing Brenda Garno of Sirtech, who was active in those forums at the time, for her decision to make some sort of Druids point-and-click adventure game that nobody could possibly even remember the name of now, instead of Wizardry 8. That was only a year or so after Wizardry 7 had been released and as I recall Jagged Alliance had just shipped, and was doing well. And yet, Brenda at that time thought that games should be "more accessible", and that therefore their two biggest hits ever and their most recent releases should be put on hold. To make an adventure game for kids.

I thought that was a really dumb idea and I told her so. She disagreed. I think history shows which of us was right. The mod just couldn't stand it that I wasn't going along with the plan of pretending a game company celeb of sorts who deigned to use the RPG forum of compuserve could do no wrong. So she bashed me publicly and repeatedly, all while wearing her mod tags. So I had all the save game editors and other game utilities I'd coded and uploaded to Compuserve (and nowhere else) removed. There were quite a few of them, as I'd been playing games for quite a while by then and usually did a couple tools for every game I played. I had to submit a request for each one, and it took about a week before they were taken down. This mod then sent me a private email saying something like "Why have you removed these files!? These are very popular downloads and you're hurting the community" or some such crap. Which I didn't reply to. I figured since she didn't even remember being such an ass of a moderator that there wouldn't be much point. I've never really thought about that until today, because that was right about when the internet started taking off in a big way and I cancelled my Compuserve membership not long after.

But some things never really change, do they?

---edit

In case it's not obvious, the relevancy to this post is what Brian Fargo said about how the old game companies went wrong.

CraigCWB: I think that the point is that we look at rpgs or game in general differently depending on our backgrounds and histories in gaming. I started playing games 23 years ago with preference towards flight simulator as I was interested in 3d graphics and ray tracing. That changed over the years to FPS and RPG due to change in my thinking, academic and social paths and also because of the change in technology.

Over the last 6 years my focus was mainly on RPG, and I enjoy visiting this forum and reading the posts of its dwellers which also include other game themes in addition to rpgs.

Therefore your experince and your look at rpgs is well advanced and more detailed than mine, but that should not stop me from enjoying rpgs as you do. At the same time I listen and value your opinions and others in this forum because of their experience and valuable insights.

Looking at the title of this thread, do many people really buy games at Walmart? I mean, in this age when I don't think I've bought a game from a shop in over 8 yrs, first, would someone pick Walmart for games, and 2nd would they really go there rather than just downloading it??

-Carn

Looking at the title of this thread, do many people really buy games at Walmart?

I'm sure you realize this, but it's simply comparing Walmart's widespread lowest-common denominator product lineup to that of AAA games being produced for the "general" gamer.

But to address the question, Walmart? nah. Not even Game$top. Occasionally, I will buy a hardcopy at Best Buy though.

SpoonFULL, I started gaming in the 1970s with Chainmail and D&D when I was a kid, so I've always had a preference for wargames and RPGs on the computer. I still do, though I've pretty much given up on RPGs. But one of my favorite games of the late 1980s was F-19 stealth fighter. Other games I liked a lot in the 1980s include King's Quest and other Sierra adventure games. I'm kinda all over the place too, so I get what you're saying. I'm pretty thin skinned about RPGs when people start telling me what I'm supposed to like, though. The genre has been all but destroyed by people who thought removing depth and complexity was a good idea, in a category where fans have always cherished depth and complexity. To me, it's like George R. R. Martin announcing halfway through the Game of Thrones series that he's switching to graphic novels and thinks his existing fans will like those better.

Carnifex, I used to make a point of buying retail boxed editions of games (though I got mine at Best Buy) until I ran into issues with retail editions STILL requiring a Steam Account before you could play them. I figured there was no point getting em from a retail outlet instead of Steam if I had to be logged into Steam anyway. So now I just buy from Steam. It's probably been over 5 years since I bought a game in the store.

SpoonFULL, I started gaming in the 1970s with Chainmail and D&D when I was a kid, so I've always had a preference for wargames and RPGs on the computer. I still do, though I've pretty much given up on RPGs. But one of my favorite games of the late 1980s was F-19 stealth fighter. Other games I liked a lot in the 1980s include King's Quest and other Sierra adventure games. I'm kinda all over the place too, so I get what you're saying. I'm pretty thin skinned about RPGs when people start telling me what I'm supposed to like, though. The genre has been all but destroyed by people who thought removing depth and complexity was a good idea, in a category where fans have always cherished depth and complexity. To me, it's like George R. R. Martin announcing halfway through the Game of Thrones series that he's switching to graphic novels and thinks his existing fans will like those better.

Are you kidding me, F-19 was the best - spent countless hours on that planning my raids over Libya - brilliant days.

Regarding the current shift or dumping down, I don't think that developers are mainly to blame and are in a similar position as any institution nowadays including hospitals, universities .. etc. who are managed by managers with sole purpose of making money and targetting the (many) casual gamers focusing on quantity rather than quality. Brian and co and other indies do bring balance to this inequality and we at least have a choice.

CraigCWB: I think that the point is that we look at rpgs or game in general differently depending on our backgrounds and histories in gaming. I started playing games 23 years ago with preference towards flight simulator as I was interested in 3d graphics and ray tracing. That changed over the years to FPS and RPG due to change in my thinking, academic and social paths and also because of the change in technology.

Over the last 6 years my focus was mainly on RPG, and I enjoy visiting this forum and reading the posts of its dwellers which also include other game themes in addition to rpgs.

Therefore your experince and your look at rpgs is well advanced and more detailed than mine, but that should not stop me from enjoying rpgs as you do. At the same time I listen and value your opinions and others in this forum because of their experience and valuable insights.

This is generally what I was trying to say, SpoonFULL just happened to say it much less jerkfacedly. Craig, I was also trying to point out that you don't get to say who the target audience is. If I feel like it interests me, that is all that it requires. Nobody needs to ask for permission from a salty community member if they can be interested in a game.

I think less of you because you style yourself a dedicated fan of the genre when you're actually one of the easily amused casual gamers that lots of people here like to ridicule. You probably look down on people like you, yourself, so why complain when I do it?

No, I don't. I don't really worry about what other people like, because that's just silly. You're silly. Stop being silly. Have I said silly enough? Silly.

I'm here at RPGWatch because I like RPGs. Simple as that. I like old ones and I like new ones. I won't get caught up fighting a crusade for The Standard. That's because The Standard is different for everybody.

Back
Top Bottom