Kickstarter - Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall RPG

I suppose I'm the only one here who saw Brenda promote her decision to do some stupid "Druids" adventure game instead of Wizardry 8 on compuserve in the early/mid 1990s? And what's that you say? Now she wants money from the RPG fans she sold out so that she can do an "old school" RPG? She thought a stupid adventure game was more interesting than a new Wizardry title, and that was back when Wizardry wasn't yet "old school", but rather one of the best selling computer game franchises. Or did I say that already?

Maybe she's learned her lesson and changed her evil ways, though. It could happen. But I need proof, given her track record, before I'd support any project she is involved in.

Well presentation style is really in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has different tastes. I found it cheesey. If you liked it, well, enough said. You may like limburger, too. Put that on top of a slice of durian, and you could be set. ;)

When was the last time this team created a full fledged PC RPG? 20 years ago? Do all of them have experience with designing and coding complex RPG systems? I didn't see that anywhere.

Compare that with the Obsidian team and you have a folks that have been doing this for twenty years, and winning awards while doing it.

<i>More RPGs in the market never a bad thing. </i>

It is when they're crap and the market is perceived as being full of garbage that doesn't sell, since that creates the impression there's no market for "old school" aka actual RPGs.

All of which means nothing in regards to these kickstarters. Obsidian's most recent game was a mediocre action-rpg, and that's being kind.

All of which means nothing in regards to these kickstarters. Obsidian's most recent game was a mediocre action-rpg, and that's being kind.

So, you actually believe a couple dudes from Id software, best known for Doom and Quake, along with a woman who did the manuals for Sirtech and eventually graduated to producer or some such thing while Sirtech was imploding due to catastrophic decision making by the founders are going to successfully make an "old school" RPG? And you think their history in the industry doesn't make a difference?

But you're the big Deus Ex fan, aren't you? What do you care about old school RPGs? When you hear "old school RPG" you're probably thinking of Deus Ex, right? Problem is, Deus Ex was a shooter with a few RPG elements welded onto it and for fans of actual old school RPGs, Deus Ex represented the beginning of the end.

Go ahead. Give these people your money. I hope you enjoy whatever crap they end up shipping. I'm pretty sure they won't be making anything of interest to me.

Yes, that game was constrained by what their publisher wanted. A better example is Mask of the Betrayer or Knights of the Old Republic 2 or Planescape or Fallout, etc...
I don't see anything close to this kind of pedigree in this team.

You mean it feels cheesey to you. I don't feel that way at all,
So?
I also don't see Obsidian having an advantage in terms of experience.
lol

Tell me, how many games of the type they apparently want to make via this campaign, this duo actually developed?
There´s BB´s writing (and maybe some design chip ins here and there) for Wizardry 8, any other oldschool-y oldschool title I´ve missed? :)

Excessive reliance on cred that is at times I think rather disingenuous (Realms of Arkania) and mostly rather irrelevant to the type of game being pitched is this kickstarter´s major flaw, at least so far.

Last edited:
Brenda's biggest contribution to the computer game industry was her involvement with Jagged Alliance but since the company that made that turned to shit too, I'm not sure even that counts as a plus. In any case she's neither a programmer nor a designer. What does she bring to the table? Producer? look what happened with Wizardry and Jagged Alliance, on her watch?

Sorry for all the negativity but Brenda, along with "Lord British" and whoever was in charge of brainfarts at Interplay in the late 1990s, is responsible for the death of the original RPG genre (later revitalized by Bioware and some of the folks at Obsidian today) and it really gets under my skin to see her of all people launching an effort to get public funding for an alleged "old school" roleplaying game. I find it vaguely offensive, in some way.

hahah you guys are starting to froth at the mouth. Lord british was the death of rpgs in the 90's? really?

A lot of unwarented hate here…why was the shadowrun game looked at in a more favorable light? Or for that matter wastelands 2? was it for their long history of excellant games? I agree there is not that much info yet, but I think some of the comments here are over the edge.

Oh and Dhruin this is the first line in the kickstarter:

Old School RPG is a classic first-person, fantasy/sci-fi RPG brought to you by award-winning veterans. Create 4 characters and explore!

how did you miss that?

why was the shadowrun game looked at in a more favorable light? Or for that matter wastelands 2? was it for their long history of excellant games? I agree there is not that much info yet, but I think some of the comments here are over the edge.

Your memory is incorrect. Both provided more information than this project when they were advertised here. And I didn't have a strong opinion on either... Try another trolling strategy...

Your memory is incorrect. Both provided more information than this project when they were advertised here. And I didn't have a strong opinion on either… Try another trolling strategy…

grow up, how is that trolling, I gave examples that didn't have much info to start. Very childish arguement strategy.

For the recored I backed both.

Oh and Dhruin this is the first line in the kickstarter:

Old School RPG is a classic first-person, fantasy/sci-fi RPG brought to you by award-winning veterans. Create 4 characters and explore!

how did you miss that?
To be fair - that text was added / changed after the initial Kickstarter launch. And as a result I'm much more interested. Just those few words help to show more what they're going for.

That's besides the point. Both provided more information about their projects when announced here than this one. Now who is being childish?

hahah, man you need a hobby or something...I'm not even sure what you are arguing, I made a point and you childishly called me a troll. Not really the way to disagree with someone.

Rune, you are clueless and have earned your place on my ignore list, that very few have managed to achieve. Congratulations.

Really don't care.

ah you guys lighten up - if the days of prime junta and cleve couldn't put him on your ignore list why start now?

I think the desslock ebay donation is a bigger deal than this.

Some people can't help getting angry when they are wrong, oh well:)

Back
Top Bottom