The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Oh yes, get Man Machine. It's a classic. As are Autobahn, Trans Europe Express, Electric Cafe… and all the others.

You wouldn't happen to know of some kind of All-in-one package? :rolleyes:

Übereil

Hmmm... not really, since you already have Minimum Maximum (which is kind of a best-of-live album. I heard there was a Best Of Kraftwerk album, but I've never seen it (and I don't know what's inside). 'The Mix' offers new versions (not just remixes) of many Kraftwerk classics. There are other complilations, but they are bootlegs and not sanctioned by Kraftwerk.

I'm currently listening to "Raabjorn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde", by Dimmu Borgir. If you ask me, this song is truly a masterpiece made by them. I'm much into Black Metal / Symphonic Black Metal and Death Metal and a huge fan of Dimmu Borgir, so people who know me wouldn't be suprised if I like this song this much. Most of Dimmu Borgir's songs are masterpieces. I prefer their recent albums to the old ones, though.

The song deserves 10 out of 10 points.

I used to kinda be into Dimmu, I'd have to say my favorite cd of theirs is Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. For one, the lyrics make sense as opposed to the gibberish that tends to pass as lyrics on some of their newer stuff that I got (puritanical, death cult), and also EDT can be pretty scary at times. That's what made me sit up and take notice, it's a truly disturbing piece of work at times. The dual-tracked distorted vocals, the choral sections around the speeding doom-tonal guitars, the seeming belief and allegiance with theistic satanism and shocking lyrical blasphemy that leaves you feeling like if you havent fucked up til this point - by rocking out to this cd youve truly sealed the deal now. That's what makes that one of the only BM cd's that Ive had to keep in my collection, it's just too good to ditch.

The pure blackness of "Relinquishment of Spirit and Flesh", in my opinion, listen to that at 5:10 - if that isnt pure black metal, i dont know what is. "Possessed for eternity…". Then the next one, the Night Masquerade, at the end has that unbelievable section of utter blackness starting at 3:10. Love the "sluts of lust" on that one "oh yes, master, let us receive thine offer and drink with theeee.." Awesome

But Ive calmed down a bit in my old age of 37, I'm now more into non-black symphonic and "gothic" metal (tho most of what referred to as "gothic" isnt dark at all these days), doom, or my favorite the male/female gothic doom thing such as Tristania or Draconian. Love and death, w/ thee for all eternity, my dark enchantress, that whole thing. Great stuff

Evenfall, great early Tristania."call thy name at nightfall, reach out to thee, life's rose". yeah im gettin old

Last edited:
Nox Arcana - Shadow of the Raven

alll instrumental ambient horror type stuff, great. There's like seven more albums of matl by these guys too, yay. Good to work to

Hey Nox Arcana are great and i also like Midnight Syndicate from the same Genre , do you know any other bands of the same style ?

BTW , I am currently enjoying Faun ( German, folk band)

Voivod - Nothingface (1989), The Outer Limits (1993)
my favourite albums by them (though all 5 albums from 1987 - 1993 are great)

First more thrashy and raw, second more often straight out rocking and melodic, both unique, cyberspacedout, punky and with diminished chords galore.

Intro/The Unknown Knows
Into Mu Hypercube

Fix My Heart
and one of the best epic rockers ever Jack Luminous pt.1, Jack Luminous pt.2

I love the atmosphere on these.

Gustav Holst's Jupiter from his orcestral suite The Planets (from 1914). A collage of most adventurous orcestral movie music ever made since. Some parts was used for Conan The Barbarian movie. :)

@ Mike:
As my avatar might betray to the informed I'm now enjoying Muse's album The Resistance in full! They're streaming it on their site with decent-ish quality: http://muse.mu/media-player/albums/47/the-resistance/

Unnatural Selection and the three-part Symphony are amazing, and the only kinda weak tracks are Guiding Light and I Belong To You. My favorite part of the whole album has to be 1:50 to 2:50 in Cross Pollination, which is EXTREMELY strong when you listen to the Symphony in full.

Fortunately it's up on Spotify now so I can listen to it in better quality. Emphasis added, since I've listened to the album ~30 times now and I definitely stand by it.

Cool - I thought I remembered seeing something but couldn't find it ...

He has it on his iPod and with iTunes 9 we all have access.

Entrancing voice (contralto): Kathleen Ferrier (1912 - 1953):
Blow the wind southerly

The first time I heard her voice she was singing Mahler's Abschied (Das Lied von der Erde). I was enthralled.

To my surprise it's on YouTube. For anyone that like to hear more of Kathleen Ferrier I recommend:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
The orchestra is the Wiener Philharmoniker, Bruno Walter is the conductor, it was recorded in 1952.

I'm listening to my newly aquired verision of The Man Machine. It's more minimalistic than Minimum Maximum, meaning the sound scape is more pale. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

Übereil

Vee Are Da Robots!

Some really good dream pop from an up-n-coming band:
"Dream About Me" by The Depreciation Guild

Some really good dream pop from an up-n-coming band:
"Dream About Me" by The Depreciation Guild

The singer sounds like the My Bloody Valentine singer. I got Loveless but never really got into it. It was too noicy.

This was less noicy and more melodic though. Not sure what to make of it, my initial reaction is something in the way of "...ok, I guess...?". My only real impression is the heavy MBV vibes of the singing.

Übereil

Speakin´ of dream pop, I really enjoy new Mew album (No More Stories…).

Some Pet Shop Boys or Cure influences here and there, quite exquisite and layered production, a healthy dose of experimentation, but first and foremost - shitload of great, mostly soothing or uplifting, melodies.
So far my favorite pop album this year.

Hawaii
Tricks of the Trade
Sometimes Life Isn´t Easy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom