Skyrim - First "In-Game Look" Coming

Yay! Hyping the hype, hyping the hype! urrrrpp….
WTF is your problem, mate? You act as if other games wee not hyped to hell and back.

I for one am really intrigued to see the new engine in motion.

Silly comment. In this day and age a big studio still making RPG's is a good thing. Or we could be irrational and spread hate like you.

I'm quite excited too, naturally.

Thrasher will be one of the very first to view the in-game footage and then he'll come in here and bash everything he saw. He gets off that way, it seems. I guess if that's what it takes...I prefer the eye candy mods personally! :D

These aren't RPGs anymore for neither of us. The notion became so twisted you will see how little you will appreciate new products. The old school gamers are just as experienced as a mature game designer. We see all the shit, and want something more. I'm feeling like all the oldtimers from the bus that i wish dead. We should be put to sleep and be reborn. But DS3 will surely light a spark, even if Obsidian didn't manage to do it in FNV, as well as Deus Ex. Skyrim is for the "kids" only.

These aren't RPGs anymore for neither of us. The notion became so twisted you will see how little you will appreciate new products. The old school gamers are just as experienced as a mature game designer. We see all the shit, and want something more. I'm feeling like all the oldtimers from the bus that i wish dead. We should be put to sleep and be reborn. But DS3 will surely light a spark, even if Obsidian didn't manage to do it in FNV, as well as Deus Ex. Skyrim is for the "kids" only.

It's hard to believe you are not a kid with that verbal mismash there. You guys are getting very predictable:)

Who cares? I will still enjoy the games I play, regardless if it does not appease the basement dwellers. Just remember how you guys said gothic 3 was the game to end all great rpg games, and well you saw how that ended. Play the games for fun, after all they are entertainment not a crusade.

And yes, I am an old school gamer.

To me, a lot of the value of the Bethesda titles comes from their sandbox qualities. As a game in the classic sense, they are mostly awful. But then again, when the world is that large, it is pretty tough to control the gameplay experience and make it something tight and focused.

(They have made some pretty wretched decisions with level scaling and such, but even without these, I just can't see how games with this much content could ever compete in pacing and immersion with something like The Witcher.)

The sheer size and variety of stuff to do makes these titles worthwhile for me. These are the sorts of games that you can play through once, then build a wacky character and go see how many ridiculous situations you can create — and there are so many options that you won't be doing the same things over and over again. Add in the modders, and they become a sort of fantasy-themed toybox a la The Sims. (Buying these games on console would be awful, if only because that huge plus — modding — would not factor in.)

Even if Bethesda titles are not at the very top of my list, I always like to see them coming, because they show that money can still be made selling games that are:

1. Huge
2. Highly moddable
3. Full of decisions
4. Built with the understanding that 100% of the content doesn't need to be seen by 100% of players on the first playthrough
5. Not an mmo

I can't imagine a crpg gamer being more old-school than I am. Many, many equals of course. I've played them all from the days of yore to now. I've never owned a console (well a 2600/5200), though my wife had an original Playstation. Rune is pretty much the same way. Understand that many of us oldtimers were quite able to play the new games too. However, I have a hard time listening to what they call music nowadays, so I understand where you're coming from :)

@Thrasher-you can be a grumpy old fart with Bethesda. Lord knows, I'm a grumpy old fart about most everything else. I'm still gonna pick on you flaming-Gothic lovers though when you jump in MY :D TES threads

Thrasher- Stay out of the threads then if you hate them.

This is news to me and I will be checking out the in game look tomorrow. I don't search twenty five sites daily for news, I come here and learn something. And when a thread doesn't interest me, I politely stay out. Like an adult.

Grow up.

And thanks for this news, Dhruin.

I'm still gonna pick on you flaming-Gothic lovers though when you jump in MY :D TES threads

The funny thing is that TES and Gothic are actually similar in so many ways. I enjoy both, and I've never quite understood how anyone could love one and hate the other.

A much better example of contrast would be TES vs Bioware games.

Yes, you're right this is a shining example of constructive criticism.

The funny thing is that TES and Gothic are actually similar in so many ways. I enjoy both, and I've never quite understood how anyone could love one and hate the other.

That's basically the way I feel about Elder Scrolls and Gothic/Risen. I've played both series to death, and found each of them to be quite engaging and great experiences overall. They each have their share of strengths, and also flaws, which is to expected from such ambitious games. Similar to what JDR said, both games are ironically enjoyable for very similar reasons, so I don't quite understand why there has to be a dividing line where someone can only like one but not the other; I personally love both.

As a side-note, I think that the perfect open-world game would be a merging of Gothic/Risen with The Elder Scrolls...Pretty much every flaw with either series would be addressed by this combination, IMO. Just picture the world and atmosphere of Morrowind, mixed with the characters, factions, and combat of Gothic.

Well I know there are people who play solitaire for decades now, that doesn't mean anything :p. If you mature , your tastes mature. Is not about seeking the holy grail, not at all, but putting up with sloppy work to get to the (so called) good parts, will not test your patience for long.
Who cares? I will still enjoy the games I play, regardless if it does not appease the basement dwellers. Just remember how you guys said gothic 3 was the game to end all great rpg games, and well you saw how that ended. Play the games for fun, after all they are entertainment not a crusade.

And yes, I am an old school gamer.

You're confusing constructivism with poor attempts at humor…

I forgive you, you live in Cali after all and I am jealous.

Back
Top Bottom