Hard to be a God - Review @ RealGamer

magerette

Hedgewitch
RealGamer has a less than stellar review up for Burut's sci-fi/alternate earth action rpg, Hard to Be a God, primarily based it would seem on failures of implementation in its old school approach. They score it 5.4/10 overall (Poor) and give the following rationale:
The role-playing genre seems to be evolving at the moment, with games developers introducing new ideas and features into their games. However, some developers have chosen to stick with the classic formula that made the RPG’s so popular but do these games still have a place in the modern market?...
...However, enemies will often attack in groups and this usually results in your death and can be the cause of a lot of frustration, as the game features a stamina bar which once depleted removes your ability to defend yourself. So you may find it easy to dispose of one enemy but when there’s a group you will often find yourself at their mercy meaning you will need to reload your last save. This happens on a fairly regular basis and really does spoil the enjoyment of this title...
...On the whole Hard to be a God is a very classic style RPG and sadly this makes the gameplay feel very dated, especially when compared to some other role-playing games. Sadly this game will struggle to hold its own in the modern gaming world and maybe should have followed in the footsteps in some more recent games rather then those from the classic RPG era.
More information.

"The role-playing genre seems to be evolving at the moment, with games developers introducing new ideas and features into their games. However, some developers have chosen to stick with the classic formula that made the RPG’s so popular but do these games still have a place in the modern market?..."

Yes, evolving into action games the same way the traditional adventure evolved into Tomb Raider.

Yes, and god forbid you ever have to reload a save game. ;) I haven't played beyond the demo of HtbaG, but I think my criticisms would have been more along the lines of the translations and voice-acting. Other people here have pointed out other bugs and flaws, but this reviewer just seems to be wanting a whole other kind of experience.

Indeed, a shoddy basis to criticize a game that's mediocre by pretty much any standard, anyway.

Here's a simple gamer viewpoint.

Diving headfirst into groups is certainly asking for trouble, it is usually the impatient player who can't be bothered using the stealth method, i always used it, it rarely failed. I also used the draw method pulling the opponent/s where possible into any close by enemy. I used the defend mode which quickly replenishes the stamina bar, it worked well and there wasn't a problem, i never extinguished my stamina bar and rarely lost a fight. I didn't use any 'modern' weapons but used two handed swords right up to the game end.

I got to like the horses further into the game, i had several horses posted in different map areas for convenience though i didn't use them while in fighting mode.

Voice translations were a laugh yet somehow pleasantly acceptable when you got used to it, you would have to be a simpleton to not understand what is meant even with the errors. The grammatical structure of the dialogue story line is deeply meaningful and one of the best i've read in any game over the last 20 years, in parts i had to slowly re-read the scripts so as not to misunderstand the plot, it was extremely immersive to follow.

Yes the game is simple in some parts and demanding in others eg: (a) timeouts (b) the spirits, yet i enjoyed HaTBAG, it was a refreshing change and pleasant romp, being a quick change artist was the key. I've certainly played played worse games.

5.4 is a bit harsh - I give it a personal 75%.

Regards.

hmmm downloaded the demo and gave it a try but I get an outofmemory error. I have xp and 2 gb isn't enough?

@titus, the game ran o.k for me with 2gb and win/xp, i've typed the 'full game' spec's from the manual if it helps. the demo also ran with no prob's whatsoever on the above system.

Mininimum.
Pentium@1.6 ghz or equivalent
win xp or vista
1024mb system ram (1.5gb for vista)
directX 9.0c compatible 128mb video card (geforce 6600 or equivalent)
2gb free hdd space
directX 9.0c

Recommended.
Pentium@2.5 ghz or higher
win xp or vista
2gb system ram
directX 9.0c compatible 256mb video card (geforce 7600 or equivalent)
directX compatible sound card
2gb free hdd space
directX 9.0c
Also worth a try, right mouse click (select install as administrator)

could it be my 3d card<? it is a gx 5700

oh well thx fo the info, I just wanted to try it myself because the difference betwen 5. and 75% is big

for a rating I thin it is a big difference: just above 50 or 75.
Not calling it a big difference is like saying 25% is not so much different then 50% :p

You are right of course titus, from 5 to 8 is a big jump of 30% variation.
Consider some of the other HaTBAG review scores.

Gametrailers.com..............7.5 out of 10
Realgamer,co.uk...............5.4 out of 10
Gamezone.com.................7.5 out of 10
Avidgamer.co.uk................5.0 out of 10
Acegamez.co.uk...............8.0 out of 10
Gamezine.co.uk................6.0 out of 10
Gamernode.com................5.5 out of 10
Games32.com..................5.1 out of 10
Gamechronicles.com.........8.0 out of 10

Why are review figures/rating so variable? - i don't have an expert answer.

Back
Top Bottom