What new RPGs are out there since May?

Lintra

Watcher
Okay, pretend I've been in a time warp since 1 may 06 - what new games worth mentioning are out there? Also, what is the timeline for Gothic 3 in the US, and what's up with NWN 2?

Am I too lazy to spend a couple of days digging up the answers to these questions? No. Am I too flipping busy? Yes!

2006: let me think about ...

Gods - Lands of Infinity
Avernum 4
Oblivion
Gothic 3
Spellforce 2
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales
Geneforge 4 - coming up next

...and NWN2, which I just began today!! G3 should also be available in your neck of the woods, though not sure about Bermuda!! Did you ever finish playing Grimoire?

Don't forget the NWN premium modules - sure they aren't 'new games', but each is more than a couple dozen hours of fun!

Grimoire????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Did I miss something or is this a joke?

If you liked baldurs gate, the NWN1 module Darkness over Daggerford is a must play and it comes at the very attractive price of FREE.

Age of Pirates is probably going to be worth playing once patch 1.43 is released (any day now) and the "supermod" is updated for it.

If you liked baldurs gate, the NWN1 module Darkness over Daggerford is a must play and it comes at the very attractive price of FREE.
Agree, and you can read the news item pointing to my mini-reviews of them here

Thanks for all the feed back! I will be in the states next week, so Gothic 3 is a *must*. I might even stop playing WoW for it.

A dead silence falls over the room as Lintra's friends all stop talking and turn to look at him. No one dares to breathe for fear of breaking the spell. It is a moment to be cherished. Then Lintra laughs and says "Just kidding! Don't want any of you to suffer heart damage." His friends start to breathe again, the looks of worry slowly draining form their faces as Lintra mutters under his breath "But then again, maybe I am not kidding"

Seriously, Gothic 3 is prolly the only thing that *might* get in the way of WoW for the next month or two. After all .... I still need to get that epic mount!

Grimoire????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Did I miss something or is this a joke?

I was part of the test team before I lost access to all gaming sites at work.

Good lord, they're coming out of the woodwork. Howdy, Lintra, and welcome to the party!

Well, you guys sort of forgot about:
Titan Quest that is, IF, you consider action "RPG"s to be RPGs at all(I don't, but hey...). In any event, yes, I own a copy which I picked up around the same time that I picked up Divine Divinity. TQ plays almost EXACTLY like Diablo 2, except there is no randomly generated dungeons. 3 levels of "difficulty" (i.e. you get to play the same game again 3 times total, if you can take that much of it. You get a little better loot drops with higher difficulties, and a few extra "bosses" along with overall tougher opponents.)

Overall, as far as action "RPG"s the only one that I've really liked is Divine Divinity, which sort of surprised me... Has more of a story than most ARPGs, and somewhat more complex quests. (Think dumbed down Baldur's Gate.)

Gods: Lands of Infinity. Combat plays like a jRPG or so I read from reviews, which pretty much turned me off on it, along with not much in the way of character creation and short gameplay.

Avernum 4: The mac version was out last year, IIRC. That Geneforge engine is getting a little long in the tooth too, along with the repetitive story line... but probably 4 is the best for a newcomer.

Also, I note in the forgotten to mention category, Mageknight: Apocalypse, but by all accounts it's junk and yet another action "RPG" of the pick a class/gender combo type ala Diablo 2. (Another bad sign is that their forums looked pretty dead last weekend when I took a peek, on top of that only about 5 or so people seem to post regularly... If you want it, I'd wait until it hits the bargain bins, which shouldn't be long now... or ebay...)

NWN2: It's been out since the end of October in the US. From accounts somewhat updated graphics v. NWN1, MUCH better packin campaign, arguably better UI, and needing of some patching yet, although I gather there are no real show stoppers. Also, if you don't like AD&D rules better skip it, as I've noticed quite a bit of AD&D rules hostility recently...

Gothic 3's been out in Europe for a while(early-mid October), and officially I believe that it's supposed to be out in the US on the 20th of November. More of an action adventure than RPG though, as even the developers classify it as that. Better make sure you run patch v1.09 if the US version doesn't already come patched to that level.

Yep - and don't forget the Dungeon Siege 2 Broken World expansion.

dungeon Lords Ce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Nope - that was in February ... ;)

Oh - and the excessively mediocre 'Etrom' has just gotten an 'official' US release (though I bought it months ago) ... so I guess you could count that ...

Did you ever finish Etrom? I played the demo for a few minutes and meant to go back but never felt compelled.

Did you ever finish Etrom? I played the demo for a few minutes and meant to go back but never felt compelled.

I did and submitted my review but GamerDad didn't run it because it wasn't a US version.

The score I gave was 1/5, with my 'front page line' reading "Etrom spelled backwards is Morte, which means to die – which is what this game should have done."

Is it worth to buy the CE of Dungeon Lords ? - I never played the original release - after reading all the bad reviews.

Is it worth to buy the CE of Dungeon Lords ? - I never played the original release - after reading all the bad reviews.

It depends on:
- If you can get it for $15 or less
- Your tolerance for endless respawning monsters.

Check my CE review here, and note the tagline "The ultimate Dungeon Lords is here … but don’t take out your wallet yet!"

Back
Top Bottom