Divinity II: DKS - Review @ Something Awful

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I'm a bit surprised to see a positive review of the Dragon Knight Saga at Something Awful, but there you go. The score is 9/10 and here's a snip:
The writing is consistently terrific, from the genuinely creative quests with multiple solutions to the NPCs which are all hand-crafted and infused with personality. Where other games would have copy + pasted Unclickable Villager A and B a few dozen times, Dragon Knight Saga gives you an actual village, complete with gossipers, philanderers, military deserters, the occasional secret murderer, and even a few normal people.
More information.

The writing is consistently terrific,
First, I really should get around to playing these new games so I can have informed opinions on them.

Second, maybe I sound jaded, but from the very start of this quote the review has lost credibility in my eyes. You know whose writing is consistently terrific? David Foster Wallace, Joseph Conrad, maybe Clive Barker if you're feeling a little flexible on what "consistently terrific" means and you'd like to encompass genres closer to our hearts.

But in a video game? Consistently? Terrific? Come on. The best, the very best we hope for and are thrilled to get is generally very good writing with an excellent plot.

Perhaps even the word 'terrific' is relative...

First, I really should get around to playing these new games so I can have informed opinions on them.

Second, maybe I sound jaded, but from the very start of this quote the review has lost credibility in my eyes. You know whose writing is consistently terrific? David Foster Wallace, Joseph Conrad, maybe Clive Barker if you're feeling a little flexible on what "consistently terrific" means and you'd like to encompass genres closer to our hearts.

But in a video game? Consistently? Terrific? Come on. The best, the very best we hope for and are thrilled to get is generally very good writing with an excellent plot.

You have to look at the context though. For example in the world of sports you can say "it was a great match/race" even if it's just a domestic one and the best of the best compete internationally.

Edit: Yes, it basically boils down to what Myrthos said. It's relative. :)

Too bad it seems the game is still generally ignored while games like ArcaniA or Two Worlds2 get hot topics. In example in gamespot user reviews DKS gets 87% while Two Worlds 2 scores 80% and ArcaniA 62%. Hope they kick up the marketing or this might be the last divinity we see.

You have to look at the context though. For example in the world of sports you can say "it was a great match/race" even if it's just a domestic one and the best of the best compete internationally.

Edit: Yes, it basically boils down to what Myrthos said. It's relative. :)

Reviewer does mention his tone to be gushy for a reason:
If this review is a bit on the gushing side, well, too bad. Dragon Knight Saga almost flew under my radar, but it turned out to be a lengthy experience that was varied and fun the whole way through.

maybe I sound jaded,

Yes, you do, but who cares? We all need something to complain about ;)

Although I wouldn't have picked Divinity II to go after since I did play it and did think the writing was terrific, hated the dragon form, but that's another story.

Maybe you should play it first and then tell us how it's not "terrific" :p

Hmmm.... and only $40 on Impulse and Steam....

How do I have to interpret the word "terriffic" here ? In a negative or in a positive sense ?

I once had a similar problem with the word "awesome". But that's long ago now.

No, this question was serious. I sometimes find myself lacking the knowledge of *exact* meanings.

In German language as well.

I recently wondered : "What does the word "glory" *really* mean ?"

There are other threads where I sometimes actually write down word-games or jokes … But most of the time I try to remain serious and a philosopher. ;)

For posting for the sake of posting I have a different forum. ;)

Divinity 2, DKS is probably my favorite RPG this year.

It really is amazing, and you know it's great if the SomethingAwful goons don't rip it to shreds.

Seriously, try it. You'll like it :)

I absolutely hated turning into a dragon. I thought it was silly and badly implemented. How much dragon time does DKS add to the root game? I'm seriously tempted to start replaying either Drakensang or Ego Draconis. I never finished either game.

I dunno Yeesh, maybe you should play it before spoutin' off.

Back
Top Bottom