Game of Thrones - Screens, 30 Hours Gameplay

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Focus sent us the following press release on Game of Thrones to accompany the release of four screens. You can find the shots in our gallery and here's the press release, which announces an expected 30 hours of gameplay:

Focus Home Interactive will publish in Europe " Game of Thrones ", the RPG based on the bestseller series of novels by George R.R. Martin, which has recently been adapted into a TV series by HBO®.

Focus Home Interactive and Cyanide Studio are pleased to announce, with fresh images, the publishing agreement for the role-playing game "Game of Thrones" in Europe, on PlayStation® 3, Xbox 360® and PC.

"Game of Thrones" is a big role playing game based on the famous series of novels by George R.R. Martin, which has already sold over 15 million units around the world, and which HBO has recently adapted into a critically-praised TV series. This is the most ambitious project of Cyanide Studio. Developed on Unreal Engine 3 and written under the supervision of George R.R. Martin, "Game of Thrones" will allow fans of the series, and more generally adepts of role-playing games, to live an exceptional adventure in one of the most finely-worked universe from the medieval fantasy literature.

"Cyanide realized a truly admirable work on Game of Thrones. The game is faithful to the unique ambiance found in George R.R. Martin's novels" declares Cédric Lagarrigue, CEO of Focus Home Interactive. "The narration, the artistic direction, the pace of the game and its realization make it one of the most exciting role-playing games to come in 2012."

Along the 30 hours of gameplay offered by "Game of Thrones", play as Mors, sworn brother of the Night's Watch, and Alester, a Red Priest in search of redemption who is back to Westeros after a long exile. The Hand of King Robert Baratheon has just passed away, and these two charismatic heroes will find themselves dragged in a grand quest that will lead them through familiar and gorgeous places of Westeros, such like the Wall and its region, or the famous King’s Landing. In this grand adventure, they will meet famous faces: Queen Cersei, Varys the Spider or Jeor Mormont, the Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch faithfully reproduced from the TV series.

In "Game of Thrones", you will choose the class of your characters, find your fighting style, reach a good balance between your strengths and weaknesses, and get ready for epic battles! Find, buy or loot new equipment and weapons to fit your approach of the fights, and gain experience to improve your skills or learn new ones. Slow the time down during battle to analyze the situation and choose your next moves. In game of thrones, political skills can be as lethal as a sharpen sword, so never underestimate the power of a silver tongue to solve a critical situation!

While the game will soon be unveiled more to media and the public through video trailers, in-depth presentations and numerous screenshots, discover today 4 exclusive images of the game, unveiling a bit more the heroes and the ambiance of this exceptional role-playing game, planned for release early 2012 on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.
More information.

You know, I think the fact we haven't yet seen anything of importance regarding this game while it's supposedly being released in "early 2012" speaks volume about the quality of it...

-Sergorn

You know, I think the fact we haven't yet seen anything of importance regarding this game while it's supposedly being released in "early 2012" speaks volume about the quality of it…

-Sergorn

I strongly disagree. Using this logic Oblivion would have been The Best Game Evar (TM) and Diablo III is the second coming of Christ.

Showing PR material too early is rightfully criticised on the Watch: Remember the shadows in Oblivion? The "screenshots" of Demonicon?

The screenies of GoT are as much as I need to think: "Must have".

Well, it can only be better than that other GoT game that I wasted 50$ on recently.

Ulgy screens from a developper with a questionnable track record (including a mediocre RTS based on the same IP) is hardly what I'd call good reason to think this is gonna be a "must have".

Showing material too soon is one thing, but we're talking about a RPG based on a HUGE property that supposdely comes out within a few month… and they have barely communicated at all about it, not shown anything short of a few screens that are hardly exciting.

I really don't see much reasons to be optimistic a this point…

Well, it can only be better than that other GoT game that I wasted 50$ on recently.

It's from the same developper, so I wouldn't be so sure...

-Sergorn

I'm hoping for something great, but prepared to be as disappointed on par with the whole Obsidian/ south park joke of a rpg. Even something average would be better than that steaming pile.

-Carn

I'm honestly much more confident of South Park RPG turning good than Cyanide's Game of Throne.

-Sergorn

The screens and graphics look good to me. I don't need a game that pushes the hardware bar as many seem to want. Making a game most people can play is the priority. Not just a small minority who buys the most expensive hardware.

My concern is the studio who is developing the game doesn't have a good track record. There games are either average or very poor.

Wait, there's ANOTHER Game of Thrones game?? I thought GoT was already out??

The biggest game from Cyanide that I've played is Blood Bowl. They did a good job with it. The AI is horrible, but for a game as complex as Blood Bowl I wouldn't expect miracles. They aren't as exact with some of the rules like FUMBBL is, but it seems close enough for me. Never played the boardgame so I can't get all snobby concerning implementation of the rules. Other than that I've wasted many an hour with BB and enjoyed them all. I've wanted to throw my computer out the window a few times when my dice rolls went bad, but that's not the games fault. That's the dang dice.

I heard Chaos League was great. So great that Games Workshop sued them and then decided to hire them to make Blood Bowl :D Odd way to start a business relationship. Now you can't find Chaos League because they were forced to take it off the market due to the similarity to Blood Bowl.

Of Orcs and Men looks interesting. I'm kinda curious if they can pull off both this GoT RPG and Of Orcs and Men. I believe the only other RPG I've played from them is Loki. It wasn't anything special. Played it for about a day or so and quit. Hopefully they've learned a few lessons since then.

Was checking their games out to see if I've played any others and man do they have a lot of cycling games. They're the EA Sports of cycling it seems.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of this development but I do find it to be a pleasant surprise. I just did a quick search on youtube to see if I could find some gameplay footage (without success) and I came across this trailer: link. At some point it says "play as different character and live parallel lives", which would imply unique and locked out content depending on your character and that is something I find very interesting.

I hope it is similar in style as that of The Witcher with an emphasis on narrative, interesting NPCs and C&C.

In any case, it will probably be slammed by reviewers for any shortcoming they can find as it doesn't carry the name Bethesda or Bioware :).

I also hope that Of Orcs And Men turns out well.

Last edited:
Bioware earned my eternal scorn for the drek titled DA2. Let me see at least 5 real crpg's in the future from them, and I may rethink their current status. They could go back to their roots, or take lessons from real rpg makers. The current state of the Mass Effect series only makes them look even more lackluster.

-Carn

I wasn't aware of this development but I do find it to be a pleasant surprise. I just did a quick search on youtube to see if I could find some gameplay footage (without success) and I came across this trailer: At some point it says "play as different character and live parallel lives", which would imply unique and locked out content depending on your character and that is something I find very interesting.

From what I have read it is more like you plays more than one character in the game, kinda like Indigo Prophecy. It may still means that it has locked out content depending of your character however

Meh. The screenshots could be from any of a number of recent cRPGs that do graphics well. There's nothing that screams "Game of Thrones" in them though I am not really sure what that would be.

More incest and whores? :p

Back
Top Bottom