Looking for an RPG with Huge Dungeons

Want a really HUGE dungeon? Pool of Radiance 2. There are a few of us here the played and finished it. Myself and Thrasher is one and I believe mute got pretty far. Its pretty epic, don't listen to the haters ;)

Good thread. I love dungeons. The exploration, the puzzles, the discovery.

…Whatever happened to good dungeon crawls?

One of the better, more recent dungeon crawls I've had was in Lotro's Goblin Town. Just immense and brimming with atmosphere. Too bad the game went to crap (IMO) after the initial SoA launch. Moria, for all the praise it received, really isn't a dungeon so much as a progression from one town to the next with minimal light. Ok, but not great - and certainly no Goblin Town.

Oddly, my next most recent dungeon experience would be in Oblivion shamefully enough. The dungeons were decent but, being Oblivion, didn't have much impact. Does the Nehrim mod have dungeons? Need to get around to playing that.

And, as Doc said earlier, Arx Fatalis. Never got far into this myself :( One day.

So few modern dungeon crawlers out there :( …and no first-person group combat titles. You make an effort not to romanticize about the past, but it can't be helped when the past decade has been, on a whole, so mediocre for RPG's. I guess we at least got The Witcher & FO:NV… so it could have been worse.

How about the infamous opening slog in DivDiv?

There are other dungeons there, too, not to mention the "Battle Fields" of Beyond Divinity, but that's rather action-oriented to me.

Wow, there isn't a single game except daggerfall so far which matches his requirements.

If you want fairly old games I can recommend lots.

New games... not sure if there are any?

One game that I could recommend is some of the Shin Megami Tenshi games by Atlus, some really big dungeons in first person in the first ones for example.

But anyway it is sad how few there are.

I don't know of any recent titles, but certainly Daggerfall had some huge dungeons.

IIRC Wizards & Warriors had some too. But good luck finding a copy and then putting up with the remaining bugs. It was fun, though, despite some of the worst voice acting ever in a game.

There are some pretty huge dungeons in NWN2, but not first person. There are monstrous dungeons in the Ultima 6 Project, but again not first person. You could play the Nehrim mod for Oblivion and maybe the Lost Spires mod, but you're just a teleport away from escape, so it's not the same. U6P requires a copy of Dungeon Siege. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Damn Ubisoft for taking the Might and Magic franchise and just sitting on it. I'll never pay for another of their games until a true Might and Magic game comes out; probably never.

I certainly felt that a few dungeons in Oblivion were huge/dark/creepy and I wondered if I was going to get out. More than once I had to leave early as I was running out of supplies. The bad part is that I also felt the dungeons really did not have a goal associated with them.

Although what CRPGnut said above is true, the Nehrim mod would be a possibility imho. Although they are maybe rather linear, I felt they were far better designed, more atmospheric, bigger, and simply more interesting than their Oblivion counterparts. Plus, if you own Oblivion, this game is free, so its a risk-free recommendation to give it a try.

Right, Nehrim had some good dungeons and the design of them is superb. One problem 2W2 has with their dungeons, is that there is little reason to visit them. You can find better loot in a pauper's home than in the most lavish dungeon. I'm loving the game, but I could hope for the loot to be less prevalent in homes and more prevalent in a dangerous dungeon.

Daggerfall dungeons….. the horror, the horror… In a good way, of course. ;)

Want a really HUGE dungeon? Pool of Radiance 2. There are a few of us here the played and finished it. Myself and Thrasher is one and I believe mute got pretty far. Its pretty epic, don't listen to the haters ;)

You beat me to it. ;)

Only thing is that there isn't much to buy with your loot once you get through the first level or so. Before long you'll be dropping +4 swords of annihilation, without using an NPC as a pack mule. ;)

Great big dungeons with some fun factions once you get past the first dungeon or so.

So I need my fix for a RPG with large expansive multi-level dungeons. The type where you are forced to ration your hard-earned supplies. The type that keeps you wondering if you can get out alive. The type where you can spend two+ hours before reappearing back on the surface.

M&M6 had these. Phantasy Star 1 did too (don't laugh, I grew up on the Sega Master System :blush:). Are there any others, old-school or new-school?

Requirements:
- First-person, I need to get that claustrophobic feeling of being way underground.
- Need some sort of overworld where I can restock on supplies, an overworld with multiple dungeons, not just one giant dungeon.

God I hope Skyrim has em…

Try Wizards&Warriors. While open world areas are linear, each dungeon is unique in the game and pretty big enough to spend quite a bit of time in it. Also there are so many puzzles to solve. When you encounter enemies game automatically turns to turn base gameplay.

You can also try Wizardry 8. But don't remember to install fast combat patch or you can spend your entire night on a single combat.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

As it turned out I checked out one of the first recommendations, Dungeon Lords, name sounded promising :). Not a bad game but not that far into it yet. The ultra random encounters are a pain too, lol a couple times I was ambushed just sitting there.

I have played Nehrim a bit but did tire of the German voice over. Are there some big dungeons there?

Never tried Pool of Radiance 2, sounds interesting even though it's not first-person. As long as it has epic dungeons.

Sounds like I need to finally dive into Daggerfall. I have played all the other ES games, even Arena but was always intimated by Daggerfall, lol. Isn't there some fan remake out? there? I'll check it out.

Also I'll try to check out Arx Fatalis. Never got a chance to play it.

I also was close to finish PoR2, but couldn't finish it because of a killer virus infected my PC (All my saves were gone). The whole game itself is one big dungeon. But, as I mentioned above in Wizardry 8, you must install a fast combat patch for PoR2. Without it you can make yourself a coffee while waiting for undeads to move. :)

Anyway, anyone having trouble to run Por2 or Wiz&War on Vista/7 contact with me.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

As it turned out I checked out one of the first recommendations, Dungeon Lords, name sounded promising :). Not a bad game but not that far into it yet. The ultra random encounters are a pain too, lol a couple times I was ambushed just sitting there.

I have played Nehrim a bit but did tire of the German voice over. Are there some big dungeons there?

Never tried Pool of Radiance 2, sounds interesting even though it's not first-person. As long as it has epic dungeons.

Sounds like I need to finally dive into Daggerfall. I have played all the other ES games, even Arena but was always intimated by Daggerfall, lol. Isn't there some fan remake out? there? I'll check it out.

Also I'll try to check out Arx Fatalis. Never got a chance to play it.

Arx Fatalis consist of 7 layers and each later practically a big dungeon in itself. Also there's a crypt dungeon that I still shudders to think. Creepiest dungeon I have ever seen in a RPG.

Ultima Underworld
Ultima Underworld II

They are enormous dungeons.

If only they still look and played as well:( They did not age well at all unfortunately. Not many 3d games did.

Sounds like I need to finally dive into Daggerfall. I have played all the other ES games, even Arena but was always intimated by Daggerfall, lol. Isn't there some fan remake out?

There's a remake project called DaggerXL that looks very promising, but it's still a long way from being finished.

+1 for the Arx Fatalis suggestions. You can get it at GoG for $5.99.

DaggerXL has been going on forever...I would be surprised if they ever finished it.

Daggerfall plays OK in DosBox. But I ran into a bug that I think a reinstall. I can no longer save games.

Its dungeons are truly insane, though.

Ultima Underword I and II are still sitting the shelf, waiting for me to play...

Back
Top Bottom