Dark Messiah - Interview with Raphael Colantonio @ Gamasutra

Kalia

Watchdog
Gamasutra has an interview with Arkane Studios CEO Raphael Colantonio. The interview chronicles his rise to his current position, his work on Arx Fatalis, his tenure with Jowood and other things.
GS: So is that what convinced you to start the studio in Austin?
RC: It’s this word that I use all of the time, “passion.” It’s just, you don’t really think in terms of “let’s make some money,” when you start your own studio; what kind of business plan is getting together four guys to make their own engine for an RPG, none of us having done an RPG, and also in a context where RPGs and the PC market are declining? What kind of a business plan is that? It’s only passion that would drive that kind of craziness.
You work on the game and it takes about two or three years of your life, maybe longer, and at the end you’re three years older! You look back on your life and you think “what have I done with those three years?” It’s like being divorced. I really wanted to be working on things that I feel proud of, that I really wanted to do, so I felt emotionally attached to them.
A lot of the games that I loved in the past were created in Austin, from Origin with the Ultimas, Ion Storm did Deus Ex there, a game I really liked too, so when I went there for the first time I was really like, “wow.” I really thought the place was amazing, and that one day, if we needed to expand, it would be there. I didn’t even have a company when I was thinking that!
More information.

Good read. :)
Though it does seem like AF2 might not be the next title if ever (?).
They seem very market driven, not necessarly a bad thing (well ok maybe it is, also), point being they seem intrested in pursuing other games and styles.
Its just this could boad ill for RPG fans looking for their next title to be AF2 like I was. :(

Good read. :)
Though it does seem like AF2 might not be the next title if ever (?).
They seem very market driven, not necessarly a bad thing (well ok maybe it is, also), point being they seem intrested in pursuing other games and styles.
Its just this could boad ill for RPG fans looking for their next title to be AF2 like I was. :(

Yep. I came away with similar feelings. Its like he feels they "paid their dues" with Arx Fatalis and now they are ready to cash in on more commercial things like online gaming.

I hope they don't abandon single player RPGs. We need something like Arx Fatalis 2!!! (and Deus Ex 3 for that matter).

Can you blame them?

Many people yell their lungs out when they see a game even with small bugs, even when it can be seen that developers have put blood, sweat and tears for it. They didn't just want to make dough. Just like gothic 3. A true diamond in the rpg genre. there are only few games like that and just LOOK AT THE UNFAIR bashing it got. I'm not demanding nine or tens for it, but for the grace of god give it atleast SEVEN. It deserves it. Not because it is a gothic, but because even a blind man can see how complex game it is and how fun it is if you give it a chance.

It amaizes me that most of the journalists nowdays can no longer see behind the cosmetic flaws, they only see those flaws and judge the game by those flaws. It was same with g1 and it was same with Arx too. Even deus ex got some critisims because of it wasn't top notch in terms of craphics.

A whole opposite is the thing with oblivion. Journalists only see awesome craphics, cool physics and nice action but are totally blinded to notice those roleplay flaws size of an elephant!

Press doesn't value deep games anymore. They are only eager see an other gta or oblivion..an other burger game. Its like fast food. It tastes good, but it can't replace a real old school meal (or gaming experience). My hope is that eventually people will get bored to bic macs and pizzas and will begin demanding something else. :)

Spot on Dez!! But unfortunately, it's a market driven world!!

"Many people yell their lungs out when they see a game even with small bugs,"
I slightly disagree.
While people might do it becase they don't know the Pubs are really responsible for release conditions but Arx had many reported bugs quite serious iir.

The early days on JoWood boards were quite active but I don't think it can all be laid on US, not to mention wasn't Arx released in EU first, not sure?

Back
Top Bottom