Deus Ex 3 - First Details

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Multiple sites are pointing to an article at CVG, which summarises a few points from the imminent unveiling of Deus Ex 3 from PC Zone. According to the piece, original writer Sheldon Pacotti returns as a consultant and they are "well aware" of mistakes in Deus Ex: Invisible War - pointing out unified ammo as an example. Despite being aware of previous mistakes, they still seem to be pushing on with a raft of changes:
Eidos Montreal says it's more than aware of fan reaction to controversial second game, Invisible War, and promises mistakes, such as limiting ammo types to just one, won't be repeated.

This said, they are doing their utmost to please newcomers as well as existing fans. Perhaps controversially this time around combat won't be influenced by stats, but will rely purely on your personal marksmanship skills. Instead stats will influence "a vast array of fully upgradeable and customisable weapons", and you'll be able to tailor your arsenal to your play style with mag upgrades, scopes and other add-ons.

What's more, stealth will now rely on a cover system rather than shadows, and damage will be dealt with by a very Call of Duty-style auto-heal. There's probably going to be some debate over those two.
More information.

After all the negative comments about DX:IW I actually liked the game. Its nice to see a sequel - anykind of sequel.
This said, they are doing their utmost to please newcomers as well as existing fans. Perhaps controversially this time around combat won't be influenced by stats, but will rely purely on your personal marksmanship skills. Instead stats will influence "a vast array of fully upgradeable and customisable weapons", and you'll be able to tailor your arsenal to your play style with mag upgrades, scopes and other add-ons.

What's more, stealth will now rely on a cover system rather than shadows, and damage will be dealt with by a very Call of Duty-style auto-heal. There's probably going to be some debate over those two.
So they want to attract newcomers by removing things that makes deus ex what it is? Oh well perhaps dx4 will be more faitful to the original. As long as the series is alive it has a chance.

Blah. No proper skill system was the first big mistake of DX:IW and they've done the same thing. :(

Sounds that way. I loved the skill system in Deus Ex. Upgrades are great too, but I don't care how many different ones there are supposed to be in the new game, it's the combination of both skills and upgrades (and different paths and good story) that made the original so enjoyable for me.

Why can't there be any more games like Deus Ex or VtM: Bloodlines?

I really don't remember the difference in mechanics between the two games, but I sure do remember more of the story from the first game than the second.

The reason why I got the first game is because it was and rpg in an interesting setting. I won't be getting this one though since they are removing the rpg part of the game and making it into a fps only game.

PS. Why remove the rpg elements of this game when rpgs are currently sucessful.

PS. Why remove the rpg elements of this game when rpgs are currently sucessful.

Ask the makers of StarSiege.

Well, not exactly. They left them in, at least in parts, but they removed quite a lot other things ...

Back
Top Bottom