NWN2 - Mysteries of Westgate Diary #4

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGVault posts the fourth entry in their developer diaries from Ossian Studios on their adventure pack for NWN2, Mysteries of Westgate. This one takes a look at story and gameplay elements:
...the player must make an early decision about which faction to join. This isn't a small matter, as a large chunk of the critical path plays out completely differently depending on whom the player allies with. There are also a large number of side quests throughout the city, most of which have two, three or more ways in which they may be solved. And lastly, we have a couple of endings that are determined by a monumental decision made by the player, each of which will provide a radically different experience for the final two hours of the game. From a design perspective, it's understandable why developers often choose to funnel a player down a single path. However, I saw the opportunity for us to do something different here, so I grasped it. I hope players like it.

One of the things I really like about our story is that it's almost like a puzzle. To find all the pieces and view the complete picture in its entirety, you would need to replay the game two or three times. While a single playthrough might take 15 hours, I honestly view this as more of a 25- to 30-hour product, simply because it has a replayability value that goes far beyond skin-deep, and demands a second, completely different viewing.
The article also notes the title is approaching release, possibly as early as next month though no date has been set.
More information.

Sounds awesome! I'm not too excited about playing MotB yet, but I am pumped about this one!

Back
Top Bottom