The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Andre Rieu; various DvD's

@Sammy: Hey, that was pretty solid stuff! Far more poppy and melodic than I was expecting from my favorite gloomster. Don't have time to listen to everything tonight but "Forever Fades Away" was quite good. Standup bass in a rock band? Gedowdaheh.

@mageoffire: too disjointed for my ear, but awful darn close to the noisy end of shoegaze. Have you ever sampled Jesus and Mary Chain and/or My Bloody Valentine?

Listening to some free Clark Ashton Smith spoken word MP3's. One of HP Lovecraft's homies, he wrote alot of stuff in the same vein. Worth a listen, theyre free, and good to put on an MP3 player or something.

@dt-yeah, theyve actually mellowed out quite a bit. They used to be far more psychobilly punk (50's rockabilly sound sped up), and more into the horror thing. As time's passed, starting on their 3rd cd "Ghost Tigers Rise", theyve sorta mellowed and went more straight rock and roll. It's all good tho, because they maintain their quality even tho stylistically changing, so I stick with them. Unlike most bands, who cant make a change without just destroying their core sound or even turning out quality jams anymore.

Incorporeal - Old Tiger Army style Awesome lyrics, prolly one of my top 3 fave songs by them.

Cupid's Victim - great example of 50's drenched tune

Rose in the Devils Garden - Newer style Featurning the goddess masuimi max

Fired up my shoegaze radio for the first time in a while. Had a good time with Ladytron (as usual when it comes up), but the song that stuck was:
"Turn to Real Life" by Shiny Toy Guns

I think the group might have hit the pop scene based on the number of listens on their MySpace page, but I'm not sure. I would say TtRL is a fair bit different from the stuff I saw on MySpace last time I looked.

Edit--Found a FF video here that uses the song. Not bad video work, actually.
Edit #2- Since I was having such luck, I searched for and found a video for the Ladytron track as well here

Last edited:
Always nice to see former members of the Dot return, and especially those, as I remember it, that have had an important word there. Welcome back, Gig :)

GIGGLES!!!

Start a new thread--you've got a lot of catching up to do, young lady. Can't begin to say how happy I am to hear from you.

Back to topic, I've been doing a little YouTube snooping after my previous success. Ran across a serious blast from the past. And, so I offer y'all a free ticket to all the kissy-face you can stand. I don't know that I'd show the video to your significant other, but just play the song, people.

"Dream Come True" by Frozen Ghost

Sammy. ;)

Unfortunately I could only listen to "Light and Day/Reach for the Sun" for so long before I started to sacrifice brain cells. I had to switch to something else so I've been looping the "December" CD for the last couple of hours. And YES, I know it's June but there you are... I can listen to that disk forever, no matter when.

"Joy" - George Winston
"Carol of the Bells" - George Winston

I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
@Sammy- my first impression (I always pick track #2 as the most representative track) was Danzig with Joan Jett doing guest vocals. Turns out I was closer than I thought, eh? I do believe you've gone and cheered up a little, mister.

Continuing my tour of blasts from the past via YouTube, here's a little electronica-lite:
"Love U More" by Sunscreem

@dte
i'd pay good money to see you dancing to that song.

Sorry, CU, I do not dance for witnesses. Stuff about "Geneva Conventions" and "crimes against humanity"... I'm far more comfortable (although probably only marginally more talented) on the other side of the instruments.

"And so begins the dreaming" What a great song, although the extended version on the Sire Sampler was even better. Strangely enough, my "Brit-Pop" era was a pretty short blip between New Wave and Dream/Shoegaze. Fortune tellers?
"No Stars" by Figures on a Beach

edit- now, you want to see dte get his groove on, such as it is, I've been known to embarass myself to this one

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom