Risen 2 Risen 2 delayed for consoles!

Good decision on the part of PB. Even though I'll only be playing the PC version I still want to see the console versions do well. Hopefully they'll be a lot better than the Xbox version of Risen 1.

I agree JDR. It's in our best interest that PB do well on all platforms, which they haven't managed to do yet. From what I've read about the console version of Risen 2, it sounds like the extra month is needed. I just hope the extra month is enough to actually succeed on consoles for once.

I wouldn't ever play it on console anyway. I'm on the fence about this game. I spent about an hour with the beta, got bored and was going to go back to it and never did. The combat was just so underwhelming. I feel like i've been playing this combat for the last 10 years now in arpg's. If they want to make an ACTION rpg then put some action in it otherwise give it DAO combat. It has party members and would be a lot more fun imo than the combat I played in the beta.

If they don't want to go the DAO route then give me combat at least like the witcher 2 or even like batman or KOA (toned down a little).

Sorry for the rant but after spending 200+ hours in skyrim despite it's bland combat I'm not sure I want to sign up for more bland combat. I feel like other than a small tweak here or there I could interchange the combat from most 3rd person arpg for the past 10 years. I'm ready for change.

I spent about an hour with the beta, got bored and was going to go back to it and never did. The combat was just so underwhelming. I feel like i've been playing this combat for the last 10 years now in arpg's.

Felt pretty much like you around the 1 hour mark. Then it started growing on me constantly up to the 5 hours or so I played… Provided you are not in it for the combat that is but rather the real strengths of a PB game (atmosphere exploration and overall character. Gameplay seems a bit nerfed this time round).

Regarding the combat, I believe it will improve with skills you acquire. I managed to get parry, fast strikes and strong hit or something in the beta and it already improved vs NPCs (became more tactical and interesting, especially with parry. I expect riposte will make it even more so). Unfortunately combat vs Creatures is just clicking and sidestepping via moving out of the way (*)(I prefer keeping my finger on the run button. Really PB let us lock the camera and strafe again PLEASE!). All in all I am getting the impression it will be something somewhat better than CPed G3 which is adequate (so I can enjoy the rest of the game) for me…

(* Also they come in larger groups this time around to make it more interesting and balance difficulty it seems, especially with the inclusion of companions. I've also not found a way to separate groups which was possible up to Risen 1. They seem to activate almost telepathically regardless of distance, if one becomes hostile)

I'm definitely looking forward to Risen 2 after playing the Beta. I wasn't impressed with the combat, but that was never the stongest point in PB's games anyways. It's their style and atmosphere that I love, and the Beta for Risen leads me to believe that I won't be disappointed in those aspects.

I doubt it will come close to Gothic 1-2, but I get the impression that it should at least be as good as Risen. That's enough to make it a Day 1 purchase for me.

I doubt it will come close to Gothic 1-2, but I get the impression that it should at least be as good as Risen. That's enough to make it a Day 1 purchase for me.

I agree. The aggravating thing here though, is that it could have been soo much more if they kept (or even improved) gameplay and combat to the old standards (and perhaps fleshed out some nice and fresh new ideas in the character system department)...

Good decision on the part of PB. Even though I'll only be playing the PC version I still want to see the console versions do well. Hopefully they'll be a lot better than the Xbox version of Risen 1.

I never understood the problems people had with the Xbox version of Risen. I played it and thoroughly enjoyed it on the Xbox with little to no issues whatsoever. Sure, the graphics weren't *quite* as pretty from what I've seen of the PC version, but they were still good; good enough to play and enjoy for sure. Some say the combat was clunky, but again, I enjoyed it for what it was; a different take on a combat system. Overall it was a really fun game that I hope to finish sometime, just got sidetracked by Reckoning. Looking forward to Risen 2 for sure.

French sources are claiming the delay is for the PC version too. Which would make sense: (a) They want people to buy the more expensive / more price stable console versions and (b) they wouldn't need another expensive marketing push.

I wouldn't be surprised. Release dates are never accurate there is the usual to many releases excuse or they move the date due to profit margins and forecasts. Very rarely is it because of polishing the game more.

Hmm that would suck...

I'd accept that (and double that) extra time if they somehow decided to utilize it to reintroduce all these little touches they removed from the core gameplay though.

I have a nagging suspicion they'll just go for a (quite deserved I am sure) vacation... ;)

I never understood the problems people had with the Xbox version of Risen. I played it and thoroughly enjoyed it on the Xbox with little to no issues whatsoever. Sure, the graphics weren't *quite* as pretty from what I've seen of the PC version, but they were still good; good enough to play and enjoy for sure. Some say the combat was clunky, but again, I enjoyed it for what it was; a different take on a combat system. Overall it was a really fun game that I hope to finish sometime, just got sidetracked by Reckoning. Looking forward to Risen 2 for sure.

The US XBox version included fixes and optimizations which weren't patched into the Euro release, for whatever reason. It's possible Deep Silver secretly included them in later reprints, but at least not officially.
So a lot of complaints are from people who played the Euro version.

Official info is:

PC comes as planned, consoles a month later. The conversions need a bit more time for polishing and optimization.

Back
Top Bottom