Why Haven't You Bought Windows 8

I just reinstalled Win8 on my PC last night. I had forgotten to activate it a while back (I had installed it on a seperate partition to check it out) and I had to activate the Media Pack by tomorrow or pay $15 in the future for it.

I realized something though when I was thinking about downloaing one of the startmenu restoration apps: I don't need it. I haven't used the start menu (outside of finding something obscure) in years. I've been using 7Stacks and stack all my icons into groups on the taskbar. I actually hate using the start menu!

But rather than try to get 7stacks setup , the start screen should do just fine, I just need to tweek it to work the same way (IE having a group icon like Games or Media that opens up another screen with the app icons). As much as I loved 7Stacks, it always had a short lag on my machine first opening the stack. The start screen has no such lag. I will ahve to see how much I can tweak the appear of the start screen itself and the icons it displays though. Looks like I have my weekend plans!

My 10 year old computer (in August 2013) has never been better. It just works and works and works and works, and probably will work for maybe 2-3 years more. I'm also discussing with myself if I should get an iPad, or a MacBook, or a maybe a laptop instead of a desktop. And can one really get used to play games like DA3 or ME2 on a laptop....

Friends don't let friends buy Macs.

If you've got lots of spare cash and need something portable, you can find some pretty good gaming laptops. If you've got less money to play with or don't care about having something portable, you can make a pretty good desktop PC pretty cheaply, and it'll last you a lot longer. There's an entire subreddit for helping people with that: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme.

I tried the first two test releases MS put out on Win 8 and didn't like Metro at all. My old Vista laptop is still working fine so I'm picking up a 10" Android tablet instead. Since I pretty much only game on the Xbox now I may boot up my laptop once a month. I work on a computer all day so I tend to stay off one while at home. I don't know a single person in real life that likes Win 8 Metro UI.

So, why haven't I bought Win 8? I don't like Metro and I can do everything I need to do on my smartphone now. I see no need to reward MS for something I don't like.

Great article thanks for that link!

Tim Cook, chief executive of Apple, said Windows 8 would be like combining a toaster and a fridge -- something that, while technically possible, was "probably not going to be pleasing to the user".

That's exactly how I feel about Win8. The desktop simply is not a tablet. Until better user inputs come along, the keyboard and mouse are the best interfaces for the desktop. And for everyone who uses their computers for something more than web browsing, email, pictures, and video, the desktop as we've come to know it is far more efficient than that metro interface.

Two stunning reversals in one year. First they reversed course on their idiotic licensing agreement for their latest Office release (originally the license agreement limited the install to a single machine "for the life of the machine") which was almost as stupid as thinking all users of Win8 would want to deal with that horrible metro interface.

I'll see what MS actually changes. The article indicates that MS's concern is over how difficult the learning curve is and I couldn't help but notice the absence of any MS quote specifically stating a refocus on the desktop so it's a wait and see. Fixing things based on the notion that 'the learning curve is too high' can mean a lot of things that I won't care about...

Windows 98 had it's second edition - now it looks like Windows 8 will get the same thing. I wonder if they will charge for it?

Back
Top Bottom