RPG News - DOSBox v0.70 Launched

Has anyone tried if DoxBox works on Windows Vista? It would be kickass to play old Dos games on it when the newest games lag or crash. :thumbsup:

damn .70 still doesn't play Shadows over Riva using a CD image even though it works in XP using a CD image....

I think it used to work using a CD image with a really old version like .60 or something. A pity cause it crashes for me in XP right after killing the vampire.

I have the actual CD but it's scratched beyond repair, anyone else had any success with playing it in dosbox? I played the first 2 in dosbox fine.

This is what I am trying to start it:
dosbox E:\games\roa\riva\riva.exe -c "mount d G:\ -t cdrom -l 970220_1739 -usecd 1 -ioctl"
where G:\ is a mounted image and is the second CD-rom (reported by "mount -cd").

Last edited:
damn .70 still doesn't play Shadows over Riva using a CD image even though it works in XP using a CD image....

I think it used to work using a CD image with a really old version like .60 or something. A pity cause it crashes for me in XP right after killing the vampire.

I have the actual CD but it's scratched beyond repair, anyone else had any success with playing it in dosbox? I played the first 2 in dosbox fine.

This is what I am trying to start it:

where G:\ is a mounted image and is the second CD-rom (reported by "mount -cd").

use imgmount with your image.

More great news - I love DOSBox for the way it allows me to run stuff I missed the first time, or old games I just miss ...

use imgmount with your image.

I tried:
dosbox E:\games\roa\riva\riva.exe -c "imgmount d E:\games\roa\img\970220_1739.mdf -t iso"

It also didn't work. I remember with the older version of dosbox I had to make sure I got the label of the disk right (as in my previous post) but it doesn't seem to work either way now. I guess I should submit a bug to the dosbox forums.

We have a German-language small DOSBOX-thread on the Larian Boards. Here.
You could try posting your question there, we all understand the English language. ;)

But don't expect wonders. We are all just normal people/gamers ... ;)

Read this in the official forums:

"Good news for all Daggerfall fans... seems that DOSBox 0.70 now supports dynamic core CPU for Daggerfall and it runs absolutely smoothly. Finally !!! Horray for Dosbox team."

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=14220

Time to go back in time once more and give this game a swirl...

Altough, i am skeptic until proven wrong! :)

Edit: Tried Crusader: No Remorse and System Shock (@ 640x480) at it was immensly enjoyable. Something definitly right in this release!! I only found my Jewel Case for Daggerfall and can not try it :( bugger.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm impressed. This release really seems to be working well with some games that it had trouble running before. It now also runs "TES Battlespire", "Prisoner of Ice" and "Stonekeep" (anyone remember that one? I just loved that game when it came out - a nice EOB-style dungeon crawl...)

It definitely runs DF, though it took some effort to get it to install!!

Stonekeep ? Of course ! "Thera Awakening" is actually one of my favourite novels !

I e-mailed with David Pulver, who wrote this small novel, and he said he'd like to have his rights of the book back, if possible ... Don't know whether the rest of Interplay would be wiolling to do that - and who has the rights anyway.

Still sorry that "Godmaker" was never made (all I know from it are a few concepts and the storyboard of the intro - available to see on the web site of one of the related artists).

After some quick testing, DF looks at least as playable as it was under 0.63. My only real problem under that version was that mage guilds and palaces usually run around 1 FPS, with the CPU hovering around 15%. Bumping the clock count only makes you move around at warp speed.

I tried v0.70 with the CPU set to auto/auto, and wowsers, DF was running high frame rate and I was able to move around at normal speed. Looked great. The wierd thing was all of the NPCs in town were playing a walking animation at normal speed, but they were only moving at a snail's pace.

Also tried SS1, and can now get it to run very smooth at 640x480 with max details. Sadly, cyberspace is still a pain in the arse to navigate, but that's a design problem with the game -- it really needs mouselook to control orientation.

I have perfect animations and speed with DF and all NPC and I'm running it at high res with everything maxed!!

Wow, I'm impressed. This release really seems to be working well with some games that it had trouble running before. It now also runs "TES Battlespire", "Prisoner of Ice" and "Stonekeep" (anyone remember that one? I just loved that game when it came out - a nice EOB-style dungeon crawl...)

It runs Battlespire? Yay! Now I may finally finish my second tour through! I still have my savegames...

Bleh, I ran into my first bug yesterday. The custom house in Colonization wont work for some reason:(

Back
Top Bottom