Frayed Knights - The Manual: Spells, Part 1

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Rampant Coyote has kicked up the first part of the Spells manual for Frayed Knights:
The latest counts in Frayed Knights: The Skull of S’makh-Daon put the number of base spells in the game at just under 150. Yes, ONE HUNDRED FIFTY base spells. I guess there’s no kill like overkill – I’m a little stunned by the count myself. Plus, many of them can be upgraded with the spellcasting upgrade feats as well — and these upgraded versions can be used by enemies and traps as well. That’s nearly six-hundred variants on top of all this.
I may have gone a little overboard on these. But I think the testers can attest that the variety is a lot of fun. And often, necessary. The right spells – cast directly or through the use of a special item – can turn an overwhelming fight into an easily manageable one.
More information.

Amusingly, many players will never see 1/3 - 1/2 the spells in the game except on the receiving end. A couple of testers have preferred to turn Arianna into a Paladin to get access to those divine spells, particularly healing / restoration and anti-undead spells.

I haven't been following this closely enough, how far out are you now??

And you don't get to make your own party?

I'm terrible at estimating time. However, it's coming out this year fer sher, and I really want to beat the Christmas rush. So there's your window. At this point, it's more of a discussion of weeks rather than months.

And no, this game uses pre-gens. Very customizable, but they are pre-gens. It really couldn't have been any other way with this game.

I'm looking forward to it. It's been ages since I've played this style of game with a pre gen party. In fact, I think Arcana (SNES) was the last game I remember to do something along those lines. It certainly has potential to add another dimension from a storyline perspective.

Part Two is now up. It includes a dozen spells each from the Nature and Sorcery branches of magic.

I like games where I can create my entire party - for the rare games that let you play a party (instead of one character + one to three NPC henchmen). I'm deviating a bit from the old-school western RPG ideal by going the way that I am, but I hope and expect that people who really prefer it the other way will get more than enough old-school goodness and uniquely fun stuff inherent in this idea to make up for it.

One question Jay, why did you decide that Nature spells would be the default? Why not allow the player to choose which one of the three you'd prefer. To experience all 3 types, you need to make everyone a caster. I might anyway!! :)

Heh - well, originally it came from the idea of a complete misfit bunch of adventurers - a dainty warrior, a space-cadet wizard, a rogue who doesn't sneak, and a cleric who didn't have the traditional cleric arsenal of serious healing & anti-undead spells.

That situation still exists in their personalities and dialogs, though naturally the player is fully able set the stats of the characters however they want.

And only three would need to be casters - you can always give Chloe priest spells as well as her natural sorcery abilities. It's actually a pretty decent mix, as a lot of the spellcasting feats are appropriate for all spells. The problem is the same as that with anybody else doubling up on abilities - they need to split their focus (and character points). Do you wear some +Charm gear to improve your priestly spellcasting, or +Brains gear to improve your sorcery? Etc.

Back
Top Bottom