MMOWatch Feature: Age of Conan Hands-On

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Yes, it's been a long time between drinks for MMOWatch articles but this is a great place to kick off the return of new content. Surely the most anticipated upcoming MMORPG release, Woges relates his hands-on experience with the recent beta weekend event, which provided some insight into the start of the game. Here's a snip:
As soon as you’ve finished creating your character your slave vessel is hit and you’re shipwrecked, (almost) the sole survivor, on the isle of Tortage. An in-game cut scene ensues and you are greeted by Kalanthes (Hyboria’s wandering priest of Ibis) he tells you to get to the city of Tortage and that the slaver from your ship has headed up the path ahead of you. You’ve suffered memory loss (of course) and must find out about your past. Here the game starts, and the graphics and landscape are impressive, the music sounds like it came straight from one of the classic Sinbad movies (sound is well done in general). The slow rolling waves are a nice touch to this serene introduction. There’s wrecked ships, wreckage, dead bodies, scavengers and crocodiles are scattered around for early combat practice.
Read it all here. More information.

Thanks a lot, well done! I've read all the hype, but it's hard to come by any serious impressions of the actual gameplay and the overall feeling.

I've already pre-ordered AoC, and will certainly give it a real try. :)

Maybe a good idea to see what the real beta testers have to say when Funcom lifts the NDA. The game seems to be influenced by WoW with it's three skill trees that I really didn't spend much time with as I only had a few points to spend (and the solo content wasn't getting up to a level where I could start to allocate points). I did notice that some skills required ingredients to use but that was all for later play.

I liked it too and thought it was an effective review. It all sounded encouraging, and I'll definitely be looking forward to finding out more.

Good job. Im really excited.

They are giving them out 5 or 10 thousand at a time (which are gone in about 10mins) and you have to be a subscriber. You're also capped at level 13.

Looks like the pics are working so you can see how Dhruin originally designed the article.

I read and checked out the game site, but didn't find the answer to my question so I will ask here. If I (from the US) want to play with people in Europe in MP do I have to buy a copy of the game from Europe like WOW mandates?

I read and checked out the game site, but didn't find the answer to my question so I will ask here. If I (from the US) want to play with people in Europe in MP do I have to buy a copy of the game from Europe like WOW mandates?

Yes, you do.

A bit late on my part but ty for the info Asbjoern. ;)

Back
Top Bottom