Indie Game of the Year @ GameTunnel

Actually I think eschalon tops both titles....spiderweb needs to wake up and realize everyone is tired of the same games.

I'm very pleased for Basilisk they've gathered fans but it isn't that simple. Eschalon has excellent production values and some very nice points but Geneforge 4's content is substantially deeper, for example. Both good games but I think a good chunk of people who would say Eschalon is better haven't actually played GF4.

Aquaria has already been released ??? Must've missed that ...

Sorry Dhruin but I have played geneforge 4...3...2...1...same game different packaging....

Oh, nice ! :)

Must - get - Demo ... ;)

Edit: That explains why I couldn't get onto the siite today. ;)

Aquaria released yesterday and mentioned but Eschalon two weeks ago and not. Methinks their radar needs fixing.

Has anybody contacted the Admin for the site? Maybe they hated it over there: like they all have widescreen monitors or demand pathinding in their cRPG's ;).

I agree with Dhruin. The depth of all of the geneforges is amazing and Eschalon isn't quite there yet.

Just a little example from Geneforge one. Do you want to side up with the Obeyers?....No, you don't like the Obeyers hmmmm ok sign up with the Takers then. You don't like the Takers either hmmmm Ok fine sign up with the awakened then. Unfortunatly Eshalon doesn't quite have the depth and story telling ability YET of a spiderweb game. IMO the Geneforges are great and if you are tired of Geneforge then give Nethergate a try, play as a roman or celt. Nethergate IMO is his best work to date.

Geneforge 4, the current latest one, while running in absolutely the same veins as its predecessors, has a very deep story and more importantly setting. Beside everything else, how many fantasy RPGs (or games at all for the same matter) are not going the same old "high fantasy" stuff - elves, dwarves and such. Geneforge and Avernum deserve all the credit for making a truly amazing original game setting, even though they share the same engine and someone following the series woud find them somewhat mediocre.

I just believe that Aquaria has been longer on their radar and even won an award before - I don't think Eschalon did. (Although I must say that I'm not that deep into Indie games.)

Apart from that you're probably right, Lucky Day.

Its not that Geneforge 4 is a "bad" game but its just the same as the ones that came before it. The problem I have with spiderweb games is that they recycle their engines way too much and shy away from adding much to them. I do enjoy their games, but would like them to take a chance and try something new.

Eschalon when you start it up you feel like you are playing a professionaly developed game, everything screams top notch. Even though the graphics are not the greatest in the world they are lght years ahead of Spiderweb games. I enjoy the lighting as well as well as the descriptive texts. Overall, I have enjoyed Basilisk games commitment to its fans more then I have spiderweb, which is rather lacking.

The excuse of keeping the download small for spiderweb games is not as big a deal as wehn t heir games first came out.

Personally I have been playing Hellherron recently and was thrown off by the graphics but got past that and found a great game...now if that game could be updated to eschalon style graphics and better conversations it would be incredible.

I'll add my 2¢ to rune_74s. Eschalon is not quite as good as Exile 1 or Geneforge 1. It has better graphics and a little bit better character building system. However Exile 2-Avernum 4 are almost identical to Exile 1. The story changes a bit, not much, each time but the games play out almost exactly alike. The same with Geneforge 2-4. Jeff rehashes the same graphics, engine, and even characters that each game seems to be the same as the others. There is no innovation in the followup games. I would encourage new buyers of Spiderweb games to just buy one game in each series. You'll get 90% of what's in all of them, in any one.

Back
Top Bottom