Piranha Bytes - Cofounder Alex Bruggeman Passed Away Last Week

aries100

SasqWatch
From World of Risen comes this sad news: Alex Brüggemann, one of the co-founders of Piranha Bytes passed away last week:
In the night from Saturday to Sunday, [last week] Piranha Bytes co-founder Alex Brüggemann died in presence of his wife and mother. Alex Brüggemann was one of four founders of Piranha Bytes and thus, one of the spiritual fathers of the Gothic series. As Ralf Marczinczik wrote in his blog, Alex was diagnosed with cancer about three years ago. It appears he now succumbed to this dreadful disease.The World of Risen mourns with the family and friends of Alex and wishes them all the best and the strength to see through these difficult times.
For sone reason, I can't use the ü-letter in the newsbit title - sorry for the inconvenience.
More information.

How awful :(

Part of such a strong company - he must have been quite the developer.

I modified the headline. Add an "e" if umlauts don't work. ;)

Mr Brüggemann stayed with their mother company after the crash between Gothic and G2. In later years he worked as lead designer on a couple of Settlers games for Ubisoft / Blue Byte. RIP.

Thank you for Gothic and more…

According to elind from WoG he wished "Game Over" as inscription for his gravestone.

A person full of creativity and humour.

Sad news indeed, however thank you for sharing it Aries100.

RIP Mr Bruggerman, thank you for your contribution to PB.
Condolences to your friends and family.

I shall now listen to the Gothic soundtrack as a tribute. Long live the nameless hero.

Having just completed G2 and now experiencing G3 for the first time, this is tragic news to me. Thank you for sharing, Aries. This is also a bit of a blow as my family tree has also had a history with cancer (what Alex died of).

Rest in peace, Alex Brüggemann. Best of wishes to your friends and family. Thank you for the wonderful games and experiences over the years.

I wasn't familiar with the name Alex Bruggeman prior to this news, but as a huge fan of Piranha Bytes, I'm saddened to hear about this.

That's sad, he can't have been very old. Piranha Bytes are a great company, and it was great to see such a fun series as the Gothics being made in my home country. R.I.P.

Back
Top Bottom