RPGWatch - Moving To a New Server And Here We Are Again

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
We will initiate a move to our new server in a few hours time. The access to RPGWatch and all other sites on this server will be then blocked with a maintenance message, to allow the transfer of the databases to the new server.
The move itself only takes minutes, but depending on where you live it might take anywhere between an hour up to more than a day for the nameserver, that you happen to use, to be updated.
You will notice that the move has completed for you, because the site can be accessed again and this message will have been replaced with a welcome message.

Welcome on our new server. It looks just the same :)

More information.

Last edited:
But....how will I procrastinate?

More than a day? You're joking right?

But no matter. We survived worse things. Waiting for the Skyrim final patch was one.

More than a day? You're joking right?

But no matter. We survived worse things. Waiting for the Skyrim final patch was one.
No, it depends on how long it takes for the DNS change to reach the nameserver you are using. Can be minutes, can be more than a day and anything in between.

How about we just use the IP address for access?
Doesn't work. There is only one IP address and that points to the default location on the server. You can't go to the RPGWatch location from there just like that.

Doesn't work. There is only one IP address and that points to the default location on the server. You can't go to the RPGWatch location from there just like that.

Hmm, should be possible to use http://x.x.x.x/website - or somesuch.

Well, maybe not - it's been a while since I've had to do without DNS.

But that's how it worked when I used to dabble with my own site. The host site should have a directory for the site that includes the "index.htm" file, usually under a suitable name - in this case something like rpgwatch would make sense.

Last edited:
Yes after thinking about it I figured it should be possible indeed. So I made some changes to the settings on the server and the IP address now defaults to the RPGWatch site. That works, however the forums do not work. I can't stay logged in. After logging in, it logs me out again.

When I ping rpgwatch.com - I get an address that doesn't seem to work externally.

I'm getting 85.214.106.109...

See ya'll on the other side...

Welcome on our new server. It looks just the same :)

If you are visiting this through the IP number http://85.214.23.143/forums
Make sure that you block the saving of cookies for 85.214.23.143 and that you delete the current cookie.
In FF this goes via Options->Privacy->Exceptions to block the IP address and Options->Privacy->Show Cookies to remove the cookie 85.214.23.143.

You will not be logged in automatically anymore (as you are not saving the cookie), but at least you stay logged in as long as you remain active.

Unless you are visiting through rpgwatch.com the move has not completed yet :)

Because I can't see the server yet through rpgwatch.com, so I'm using the IP address.

Well I logged straight in using rpgwatch.com which I have set as my homepage!! :)

Apparently :)
Well it is back for met at rpgwatch.com also for the last hour or so.

Seems to be working just fine; great job folks!

Back
Top Bottom