RPGWatch Feature: Might & Magic X Preview

Same here. If I can't play it offline than it's no deal.

I tried to play the latest Heroes of M&M but every time I lost internet connection, the game would fail losing all your progress, which is pretty silly for a single player offline game.

Daniel.

You can play Heroes VI in offline mode. You have to activate it once but don't have to be online after. The same will be true for Might and Magic X (though not sure if it is true in the early-release edition).

I don't really like Uplay, but as long as I don't have to be online with it, I'll deal with it.

About UPlay the suspicion quoted in the preview is a bit wrong because UPlay now can be played offline, just the first time connection is required. After if online there's a check at each launch and the client launch too if not already launched.

From the base that I don't believe in no DRM for all games, UPlay is for me one the the best system. But I agree that have it in double with Steam DRM isn't good thing but it's not much troubles because the client is very light (unlike Steam).

Now those account systems involve you can't sell games myself I don't care because I don't want lost time in selling my games.

Nice preview, I like its positivism because no matter the feedback at release (that I won't read) I'll buy it full price at Mac release.

Now I have one reproach, the complain about food management is in my opinion going on the wrong way. There's perhaps a setup to tune, but the point is they should stop with the slow grid movements. Set that in any M&M grid based and they become a crap. The game system requires the ability to rush back to a town or to a dungeon, otherwise it becomes tedious.

Thanks for the replies folks, if we can play offline I'll buy it when the full game is released.

Off topic, I finally finished Knights of the Chalice, it's a great game for £15!

I put together my impressions in a German video, for the non german guys see the short key points below - or just ignore my post. ;)

The Video can be found here

-voices can be annoying
-graphics are ok, but the performance is bad
-stopping during movement steps is annoying
-movement system and visuals don't go hand in hand
-fights become dull due to high mana costs, low mana pools and no regeneration, making it impossible to use abilities and damage spells in each fight
-ranged combat doesn't work well
-aggro system doesn't work well
-that diminishes identity from the otherwise nice classes
-dungeon design isn't good, riddles aren't good
-world is very small
-items variety is too small and finding items doesn't "feel good"
-there are a couple of bugs which should be easy to fix
-the mix of annoying movement, bad level design and bad combat mechanics don't end up in a good total result

Hope to see fixes and changes, mainly in mechanics like walking and combat though I doubt they will change much in terms of combat.

Watched the video Kordanor. It all looks pretty.... unimpressive?

-fights become dull due to high mana costs, low mana pools and no regeneration, making it impossible to use abilities and damage spells in each fight

correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the flow of combat always been a bit boring in M&M?

To be absolutely honest I don't really remember how good the combat was in the gold games. At least I don't remember it being bad.

That said, only because it was bad in the previous games that doesn't mean they shouldn't improve it now.

To be absolutely honest I don't really remember how good the combat was in the gold games. At least I don't remember it being bad.

That said, only because it was bad in the previous games that doesn't mean they shouldn't improve it now.

Dunno. It could be part of the whole nostalgia thing :p

Anyways, in the old games, classes like knights only ever spammed the attack button. Now they can at least do special moves. That's an objective improvement right there.

As I stated in the preview, the game seems to be delivering exactly what they intend. If you want to play a M&M game with some modern features added in, this game delivers. If you don't enjoy the M&M style of game, then I'm a little surprised you'd be interested anyway.

To each his own, tho.

Are the points raised by Kordanor a part of M&M style of game dte?

@dteowner
This depends on what you call "M&M Style of game".
Back then the main M&M aspect for me was: A huge world to explore and it was one of the RPGs of the time in which you found most freedom.

So along that line...I enjoy the M&M style, which however is almost non existent in M&M X.

Are the points raised by Kordanor a part of M&M style of game dte?
I would say there's several that would fit that bill. Several more are matters of personal taste which probably won't bear much fruit arguing (and actually points back to the "style of game" thing indirectly). And a few of them are a bit "off"- griping about the size of the world when only a small portion of it has been made available is simply silly, for example.

I would say there's several that would fit that bill. Several more are matters of personal taste which probably won't bear much fruit arguing (and actually points back to the "style of game" thing indirectly). And a few of them are a bit "off"- griping about the size of the world when only a small portion of it has been made available is simply silly, for example.

So which ones are?
And which ones would you consider a matter of taste?
I think it's pretty easy to take the developers word of having around 1/4 of the game world in the game and just multiply the content with 4. But even if it is 6 times bigger it would be small. But actually I am fine with a smaller world, I mean they said from the beginning that it's going to be small and the price is also kinda low.

@dteowner
This depends on what you call "M&M Style of game".
Back then the main M&M aspect for me was: A huge world to explore and it was one of the RPGs of the time in which you found most freedom.

So along that line…I enjoy the M&M style, which however is almost non existent in M&M X.
It's a glorified indie release. Their clearly stated goal is for 30 hours of content. Trying to compare that to a major production with a stated goal of 60-80 hours is pointless. It's certainly smaller than MM6, true, but that was never intended to be the point of comparison when it comes to amount of content. Perhaps you've jumped in without checking out the stated scope of the project and imposed your own expectations?

I don't know where your hostile attitude is coming from. The points I listed were my impressions of the game not an attack on you or your review. Actually you mentioned some of them yourself.

As I mentioned I did not expect a big game. But you were the one talking about M&M Style. I mean just check the 2nd reply to this thread :p

Dte is not being hostile Kordanor. He is just a grumpy old man. :)

Back
Top Bottom